The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Please don't. 

I want not only the Canucks to win a cup.

I want to win it, without be ashamed of our city the next morning.

If they win it they deserve it, if your virgin buddy made fun of you for having sex would you be ashamed too?

4 hours ago, mll said:

True.

The Islanders are now at risk of losing top goalie prospect Sorokin because of that decision.  He's under a lot of pressure to extend back home.  Same for the Wild with Kaprisov who could delay coming over till 2021/22.

I suspect we will see Rathbone elect to go back to college as well. Depending on how Harvard brings back sports, he may not even play another game before he can hit college  FA. 

8 hours ago, mll said:

Makes no sense to me either.  Kind of wonder if that rule is not here to stay beyond just this season.  Teams are going to expand their rosters beyond the 23 players - surprised that they don't want to allow new ELCs like in past years.   

Some mitigating factors.

Some teams, see Montreal,they want their cake & to eat it as well. They did not date his contract. ie if this season started again, they would use this year? If not, start next year & have him committed for 3 (he may be less due to age?) full years on his ELC.  Which started drawing scrutiny.

A contract without a date is not complete.

I personally believe any draftee that could have been signed & available should be allowed. Draftee's and possibly college UFA's? Euro UFA'[s, if I'm not mistaken have to pass through waivers. So not them, but Kaprizov was drafted. As long as they would have fit in the cap prior to the end of the season.

But that brings up more questions. Would we have been able to trade for Toffoli if Ferland was not injured? Should they both be able to play?

So I guess some rules have to made up on the fly? Consensus rules & someone does not get a perfect piece of the puzzle.

On 5/26/2020 at 3:15 PM, Warhippy said:

This proposed playoff format is an absolute joke.  24 teams?  Why?  Is it just for the Covid issue this year?  Will it return to normal next season?

The play in round is a substitute for finishing the regular season.  It's going to be impossible to finish the regular season in a hub format because teams would have played games outside of their conference  and against teams with no chance at making the playoffs.  Clearly, more than 16 teams had a decent shot at making the post season and they should have a chance to play in.  On the other hand, this system gives some benefit to teams (the division leaders) who pretty much have no chance at missing the playoffs. 

The rub is that 24 teams are too many.  Montreal is 10 points out of a playoff position and Chicago is 6.  Neither have a real chance but where do you draw the line?  Teams have 11 to 14 games remaining so how many points could be made up by the end of the season?  Arizona is 4 points out of the race which is the next biggest deficit so why not draw the line at 8 teams for the play-in.  If they were to go lower, they would have to pick 4 in this format and that leaves teams who have a very real chance to make the playoffs off the list.

• Cheers 1

We got lucky, Minnesota should be a team we beat and then enter the real playoffs. Guess they chose this route vs have 5 regular season games to then see the top 8 from each conference. That is what I would have preferred to see but regardless, playoff hockey will be nice to see!

5 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

If they win it they deserve it, if your virgin buddy made fun of you for having sex would you be ashamed too?

Uhh....considering the last two Stanley Cup finals we had RIOTS.

Maybe we can celebrate without destroying property for a change?

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is a tradition! DON’T RUIN THE TRADITION! /s

Edited by Petey40
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Some mitigating factors.

Some teams, see Montreal,they want their cake & to eat it as well. They did not date his contract. ie if this season started again, they would use this year? If not, start next year & have him committed for 3 (he may be less due to age?) full years on his ELC.  Which started drawing scrutiny.

A contract without a date is not complete.

I personally believe any draftee that could have been signed & available should be allowed. Draftee's and possibly college UFA's? Euro UFA'[s, if I'm not mistaken have to pass through waivers. So not them, but Kaprizov was drafted. As long as they would have fit in the cap prior to the end of the season.

But that brings up more questions. Would we have been able to trade for Toffoli if Ferland was not injured? Should they both be able to play?

So I guess some rules have to made up on the fly? Consensus rules & someone does not get a perfect piece of the puzzle.

Romanov's contract is not filed with the league - Perunovich (STL) and a few others are also waiting to know whether their contracts can start this season before signing & then filing with the league.  

In the past players like Boeser, Hughes could sign and play once their season was over.  Makar even joined during the playoffs.    Teams had allowed cap room to add those new ELC contracts.  If the season had gone on as normal those players would have been playing like Boeser, Hughes did.  

This season the league is arguing that it wouldn't be fair for teams to be allowed to add those players as the rosters are set and these were the players that got the teams to where they are.

The league is allowing an expanded roster of 28 players (+ as many goalies as a team wants) and says any of those 28 players or goalies can play.  Toronto has already confirmed that prospect Nick Robertson will be part of their expanded roster - he spent last season in the OHL.  The only difference to Romanov, Perunovich is that he was already under contract when the league paused.

There is legit concern that teams are going to lose players if the league doesn't go back to the old rules.  

Benning would like Rathbone to turn pro.  It's still undecided whether he will and there is not the incentive of burning an ELC year this season.  He can become a UFA in August 2021 per Thomas Drance.   The NHL season is not expected to start before December or even January.  He might just prefer to go back to college rather than wait that long without playing.  

There's no cap for the rest of the season - and teams had allowed room to add those ELCs anyway.  There has never been a cap for the playoffs and the league doesn't consider the play-ins as a continuation of the regular season.  Ferland, Guentzel can all be activated off LTIR and play.  Toffoli was added at the TDL when the league was not yet suspended.  

Edited by mll

41 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The play in round is a substitute for finishing the regular season.  It's going to be impossible to finish the regular season in a hub format because teams would have played games outside of their conference  and against teams with no chance at making the playoffs.  Clearly, more than 16 teams had a decent shot at making the post season and they should have a chance to play in.  On the other hand, this system gives some benefit to teams (the division leaders) who pretty much have no chance at missing the playoffs. 

The rub is that 24 teams are too many.  Montreal is 10 points out of a playoff position and Chicago is 6.  Neither have a real chance but where do you draw the line?  Teams have 11 to 14 games remaining so how many points could be made up by the end of the season?  Arizona is 4 points out of the race which is the next biggest deficit so why not draw the line at 8 teams for the play-in.  If they were to go lower, they would have to pick 4 in this format and that leaves teams who have a very real chance to make the playoffs off the list.

24 teams is the fairest system. What are all the others teams supposed to do while they hold two playin series? If you're going to do that you might as well just go 16, rather than 18 with the bottom 4 playing to get in while every one else waits. The NHL would have thought this through way more than any of us.

This system makes mathematical sense while giving everyone some meaningful games. The top 8 play for position and the other 16 play to get in. I'm looking forward to this unique playoff format, your formats are unfair in many ways. What's fair? Gifting a team a playoff spot because they had a 5 point lead with 12 games to go? The playoffs were bases on an 82 game schedule, not who's closest with a month to go. There's a great alternative if you don't like it, don't watch it.

• Thanks 1

It'll be fricken exciting to see hockey again, and shooting out of the gate with meaningful games. Every team will be pretty much healthy, but i don't expect that to last long. All of the players (except maybe the Euros) haven't been skating. I'm guessing there will be a lot of groin pulls lol I think it's great that they're giving more teams a chance, the competition should be fierce. I don't care if there aren't fans in the stands, I'll be at home, head to toe in Canucks gear, cheering them on. Some feel they should put an asterisk next to who wins the Cup this year, but it could turn out to be one of the most exciting, challenging Cup wins ever. Just going to be so different. Will be a lot of very hungry NHL players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Where did I ever say I wanted a riot? Not wanting a cup because you’re worried about one makes no sense, might as well just move the team. Besides, the riots were after we lost.

1 hour ago, Timbermen said:

24 teams is the fairest system. What are all the others teams supposed to do while they hold two playin series? If you're going to do that you might as well just go 16, rather than 18 with the bottom 4 playing to get in while every one else waits. The NHL would have thought this through way more than any of us.

This system makes mathematical sense while giving everyone some meaningful games. The top 8 play for position and the other 16 play to get in. I'm looking forward to this unique playoff format, your formats are unfair in many ways. What's fair? Gifting a team a playoff spot because they had a 5 point lead with 12 games to go? The playoffs were bases on an 82 game schedule, not who's closest with a month to go. There's a great alternative if you don't like it, don't watch it.

Ya, not very well said by me.  I'm saying that 24 is best but the problem is that 2, maybe 3 teams who are in the play in didn't really have a chance had the season played out normally.  If they went with fewer teams, I think I made a mistake, they would have to go with 16 in which case, teams who had a chance to make the playoffs would have been left out and there is no benefit to the division leaders.

Was in a rush to finish the post.

49 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Where did I ever say I wanted a riot? Not wanting a cup because you’re worried about one makes no sense, might as well just move the team. Besides, the riots were after we lost.

Where did I say I didn't want to win a cup?

I said I want to win a cup. I just don't want the city to riot after a finals for a change. Fourth times the charm? 

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Where did I say I didn't want to win a cup?

I said I want to win a cup. I just don't want the city to riot after a finals for a change. Fourth times the charm? 

I see, I misread your original reply, thought you didn’t want the cup this year. As for party like it’s 1994, we actually partied all playoffs long, planned on going downtown if we won but didn’t. I do not condone any of the riots, those are not fans, I do condone celebrating and being 25 years older now I wish I could party like it was 1994.