The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Would you even notice a 5 second delay? I'm sure they'll match the commentary in time with it and thus watching at home, you'll see no different. Unless you plan on listening to a radio broadcast while watching TV, it shouldn't matter.

It's not just swear words, it's derogatory terms or other comments that are said in the heat of the moment that could get blown out of proportion. It could tarnish a player's image in today's sensitive world and become a social media nightmare on the league. Normally what's said on the ice stays on the ice and they are simply keeping it that way. They want to give us the sounds of the ice and action still while managing their image.

I guess I'd have to see how they do the fake crowd noise if they choose that route. I can't really say it sucks or not until I hear it.

I think you make good points. I do sometimes do the radio thing but that's not really my point. I just don't care about swear words, like George Carlin.

What's funny is that I hardly swear myself. It's just that kids are exposed to so much worse than swearing, is my point. Plus I want to see the action exactly when it happens. Live TV. 

I agree with keeping things between the boards though and would hope the players would understand to be more subtle when there is no noise in the rink. There should not be fake crowd noise either. This is the new normal, for now. I don't like fake anything.

As for derogatory terms etc, they should not fly anywhere, anytime, any more.

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Not all parents allow that. Just like not all people without kids are selfish. 

I know.

I didn't say all parents and I didn't mean to imply that. 

I haven't heard that people without kids are selfish. Who says that? and why would anyone think it's selfish to not have kids? come tho think about it, isn't it the opposite? the world doesn't need more people and if you want a kid it would be better to adopt. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think you make good points. I do sometimes do the radio thing but that's not really my point. I just don't care about swear words, like George Carlin.

What's funny is that I hardly swear myself. It's just that kids are exposed to so much worse than swearing, is my point. Plus I want to see the action exactly when it happens. Live TV. 

I agree with keeping things between the boards though and would hope the players would understand to be more subtle when there is no noise in the rink. There should not be fake crowd noise either. This is the new normal, for now. I don't like fake anything.

I know.

I haven't heard that people without kids are selfish. Who says that? and why would anyone think it's selfish to not have kids? come tho think about it, isn't it the opposite? the world doesn't need more people and if you want a kid it would be better to adopt. 

I think you’re taking it a bit too literally and missing my point entirely. 

26 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I think you’re taking it a bit too literally and missing my point entirely. 

Well, did you honestly think I thought all parents give there children unsupervised access to the internet? 

For clarity I didn't mean real young children. But in my experience most 12 yr olds etc I know have a cell phone. But still not really my point. My point is that the collective we expose kids to far worse than a few swear words.

I did miss your point about how people without children are selfish. Can you explain? 

Edit: No clarification? Good talk Rog.  I really just hadn't heard people say those without children are selfish. Seems such a strange thing to think. I did once see a comedian that claimed having kids instead of adopting was narcissistic since there are so many children that need homes. Don't know if I agree with that though but I understand the point he was trying to make.

Edited by bishopshodan

46 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I know.

The tweet never mentioned anything about the reason being to protect children from hearing it. I'm sure it's more to do with protecting their image and not having any PR nightmares. While I agree with you that derogatory terms should not be allowed at any time, it could happen in the spur of the moment and the NHL likely rather deal with it in house than to have a public debate over it on social media, especially with how sensitive things are lately. Surely there are some of us that can tolerate it, but there are many that cannot and having a 5 second delay to cover up some colourful remarks isn't going to take away from viewing the actual hockey itself.

I think the fake crowd noise may be weird as it likely won't match the action. I wonder if the crowd noise will also be played in the building for the players.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Profanity was making it onto the feed even with fans, complete with fans chanting "BS".  Often the commentators would even joke about it.  Personally I'd pay extra to mic up all the players and go without commentary.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Max Domi was on the ice for Montreal yesterday.  They had agreed to wait 7-to-10 days before deciding if he will join the team for Phase 3 as he has type I diabetes and Celiac disease.

Crosby left their scrimmage early on Saturday and hasn't been on the ice since.

5 hours ago, kloubek said:

2 positive cases in training camps today. (I would imagine from the same camp)

Hope the protocols hold.

Exactly what I was saying to the naysayers.

Some people gotta hate/be depressing goofs. Even in a pandemic. :frantic:

Edited by Gawdzukes

4 hours ago, mll said:

Max Domi was on the ice for Montreal yesterday.  They had agreed to wait 7-to-10 days before deciding if he will join the team for Phase 3 as he has type I diabetes and Celiac disease.

Crosby left their scrimmage early on Saturday and hasn't been on the ice since.

After Kakko manned up Domi had to follow suit.

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

After Kakko manned up Domi had to follow suit.

Domi wanted to play right from the get go - he talked about wanting to play during the pause.  Bergevin convinced him to sit out.  Montreal first wanted to see how things went before allowing him to join.  

Domi has a service dog to warn him if his blood sugar level are outside normal levels.  On the road he has to test his blood some 15 times per day.  His hotel room is on the same floor as their trainer in case of an emergency.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Well, did you honestly think I thought all parents give there children unsupervised access to the internet? 

For clarity I didn't mean real young children. But in my experience most 12 yr olds etc I know have a cell phone. But still not really my point. My point is that the collective we expose kids to far worse than a few swear words.

I did miss your point about how people without children are selfish. Can you explain? 

Edit: No clarification? Good talk Rog.  I really just hadn't heard people say those without children are selfish. Seems such a strange thing to think. I did once see a comedian that claimed having kids instead of adopting was narcissistic since there are so many children that need homes. Don't know if I agree with that though but I understand the point he was trying to make.

I hadn’t been back online since. I’d rather not derail the thread further so I’ll make this brief.

You made a blanket statement, “I find it funny that parents will let kids have unsupervised access to the internet yet they are still concerned about their exposure to curse words.”

I made a tongue in cheek response, “Not all parents allow that. Just like not all people without kids are selfish.“

The implication being that anyone without kids thinking that they shouldn’t have to have a delay and don’t care kids are watching hockey and feel that parents should have to “watch on mute“ are being selfish in respect to those that want to watch with their kids as a family. 

It doesn’t mean that all people without kids are selfish. It was meant to be an equally ridiculous blanket statement to yours. 

If this is still unclear feel free to PM me so as to not further derail the thread. Thanks. 

• Huggy Bear 1

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Profanity was making it onto the feed even with fans, complete with fans chanting "BS".  Often the commentators would even joke about it.  Personally I'd pay extra to mic up all the players and go without commentary.

So would I. Pour myself a drink and watch it once the kids went to bed. 

4 hours ago, mll said:

Domi wanted to play right from the get go - he talked about wanting to play during the pause.  Bergevin convinced him to sit out.  Montreal first wanted to see how things went before allowing him to join.  

Domi has a service dog to warn him if his blood sugar level are outside normal levels.  On the road he has to test his blood some 15 times per day.  His hotel room is on the same floor as their trainer in case of an emergency.

Seems like the Rangers were well ahead of this. there is an article if you google it. Good read.

Here. I'm lazy, lol. 

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2019/06/20/nhl-prospect-kaapo-kakko-is-turning-issues-with-diabetes-celiac-disease-into-positives.html

Edited by Gawdzukes