The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Journalist Gloats Over Jordan Peterson's Troubles

Timbermen

My best friend likes him. I don't know much about him. I heard a bit about the pronoun stuff. My friend says the same thing I have read already in this thread a few times " I don't agree with everything that he has to say..." 

As someone that doesn't follow him, can anyone that likes him tell me... what are some of the things he has to say that some of you disagree with? 

Edited by bishopshodan

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My best friend likes him. I don't know much about him. I heard a bit about the pronoun stuff. My friend says the same thing I have read on this page a few times " I don't agree with everything that he has to say..." 

As someone that doesn't follow him, can anyone that likes him tell me... what are some of the things he has to say that some of you disagree with? 

Almost everyone will agree with his lectures helping people(especially men), grow confidence, take up responsibility and finding there place in the world being a clinical psychologist. Not everyone will agree with him on social matters and with his views on free speech.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Almost everyone will agree with his lectures helping people(especially men), grow confidence, take up responsibility and finding there place in the world being a clinical psychologist. Not everyone will agree with him on social matters and with his views on free speech.

What are some of the stand outs that annoy people?

My friend also goes on about an ex military dude called Jocko. He has an extreme ownership philosophy , I agree with what I have heard. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Exactly, for the free speech part I agree with almost everything he has to say.  The only thing I don't agree with is that he denies to call transgender people by their preferred pronouns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BoKnows said:

Exactly, for the free speech part I agree with almost everything he has to say.  The only thing I don't agree with is that he denies to call transgender people by their preferred pronouns.

Yeah. In that sense there's evidence of him being more of a traditionalist(Like Ben Shapiro for example) which I don't agree with.

He stated in a debate he'd refer to a transgender female as a female. 19:58 - 20:32. For the most part I feel he doesn't agree with the subjectivity of how many pronouns since there are no set amount of them.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

What are some of the stand outs that annoy people?

My friend also goes on about an ex military dude called Jocko. He has an extreme ownership philosophy , I agree with what I have heard. 

Youtube Jordan Pettersson you'll find a lot of videos in regards to debate or even his lectures helping people.

Yeah Jocko's an awesome character. I imagine the fear of one of his daughters bfs when they meet him for the first time. Dude's got one facial expression

Jocko Willink on Twitter: "Normal Face.… "

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what was my previous low? 

Probably when you drank your own urine...

spacer.png

But that shouldn't be your main takeaway from my post.

I think your political bias is clouding your judgement here. There should be empathy here, yet you seem to think hating on him is deserved. Why, because of his political views?

Edited by Master Mind
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Probably when you drank your own urine...

spacer.png

But that shouldn't be your main takeaway from my post.

I think your political bias is clouding your judgement here. There should be empathy here, yet you seem to think hating on him is deserved. Why, because of his political views?

so my main takeaway is you don't like what you perceive my politics to be? 

Jordan used dog whistles to keep his name in the media, thats just a fact. I'm not going to feel sorry for anyone that uses that technique and gets negativity thrown back their way. If you think thats "political" I think maybe you've got the judgment issues. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 3

8 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Not true, actually. See below.

Peterson has never said he would refuse to call someone by their pronouns, and this was never the issue in the first place. However, people on the left either misunderstood or blatantly misrepresented his views. He has said since the beginning that the issue is that Canadian law was changed to force people into saying someone's preferred pronouns, including a great number of newly created pronouns. Essentially, compelled speech, which is why he's been such a prominent voice for free speech. As in the video, he has no problem calling someone by their pronoun. He doesn't deny, he just doesn't believe it should be compelled into law where people can be fined or worse jailed.

I'm also of the "I'm not a big fan of JP" crowd, as I find his recent 15 mins of fame to be a lot of dog whistling to an unsavoury crowd most of the time (and he knows that's what he's doing), and he's a professional obfuscator in his debates; however, I do think he's 100% bang on with his criticism of hypocritical post-modern thinking and bunk social science and humanities scholarship that's creating the callout and cancel culture on the left, which has lots of similarities with fascist expresses of power. I also think his critics who hate him so much haven't taken the time to try and fully understand his views. I digress and wish him well and don't believe he deserves any ill will like some are wishing on him. He would never wish the same on anyone else.

so the bolded part is one of the place sI think he's been purposely misleading people. The changes to our laws don't do that, were not designed to. He knows he's promoting a misleading idea about discrimination here, to sell books. So if you're going to go there and do that kind of thing, which is is right as long as its not getting into hate speech, expect some strong blowback. But it gets his name out there, gets him on panels, etc. to sell books and fill auditoriums, which is what it was designed to do. So no, I do not feel sorry for him when his techniques to get known worked like he'd hoped it would. 

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IMO his views are more along the lines of Free Speech and the right to criticize. He isn't agreeing with whether or not it is right or wrong but just the right to say. So either you've taken it out of context or think that we should censor all negative speech whether it be criticism, like JP has aforementioned and is arguing, or hateful speech which I haven't seen him endorse(if I am wrong show me).

its interesting the number of people in this thread telling me what I think.... 

he looks pretty comfortable with the word to me, he's got his arm around the guy. How the heck have I taken it out of context? 

If he is a 'free speech guy' then why are you so upset about peoples free speech reactions to him? needs to work both ways don't you think? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he looks pretty comfortable with the word to me, he's got his arm around the guy. How the heck have I taken it out of context? 

If he is a 'free speech guy' then why are you so upset about peoples free speech reactions to him? needs to work both ways don't you think? 

It's because some peoples reactions to him are beneath tripe, like the Beyerstein article and the /christian/marxist/feminist in the Q&A Australia video. Also the flimsy unfounded, unexplained accusations hurled at him in this thread by some, not mentioning no names.

As for the dog whistling to an unsavoury crowd, that's a little presumptuous, Sounds like you prescribe to Beyerstein's 'right wing breeding ground' malarkey. Peterson has millions of followers and viewers on his youtube channel from all sides of the political spectrum and some aren't political at all. They're sick to death of the prissy, moralizing, self righteous and dishonest pablum that passes for elite opinion. 

• Cheers 3

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Are you not allowed to get upset over what someone says?  Just because we think someone can say whatever they want it doesn't mean that they should.