The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Next few months

Haven't done one of these in a while so here it goes.

In my opinion the Canucks are going into a bit of a cap crunch, but I do think there are things they can do.

1st: Sit Eriksson this playoffs. His feet are too slow and we need higher energy/pace guys in the bottom 6. Ideally Eriksson takes this as a major slight and retires or mutually agrees to terminate his contract. If not Id waive him first thing next season with again the hope being he retires, instead of playing in Utica.

2nd: Put Ferland on LTIR. His concussion symptoms have continued for nearly a whole year. One more bad hit could put his long term health at risk and no one wants that.

3rd (and most controversial): Let Markstrom walk. After this season he's going to demand a major raise and I don't think the Canucks can necessarily pay such a price. Not to mention it was his contract year and he doesn't have a long resume of quality years.

- Id rather start the hand over of the reins to Demko and sign a cheaper goalie to split/ backup Demko depending on Demko's play. Maybe Holtby or Anderson.

4th: Trade Pearson. He's on a good contract going into his contract year. Id imagine he could demand a 2nd round pick. His ice time is also easily replaceable by our other forwards.

Resign Tanev, Toffoli, Stecher, Gaudette, MacEwen and Virtanen for sure. Then if theres available space resign Leivo and Motte. Trade Benn or more likely waive him and hope he retires.

My ideal line-up going into next year

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Virtanen-Horvat-Boeser

Leivo-Gaudette-MacEwen

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Motte

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Stecher

Brisebois-Myers

Rafferty 

Demko

Holtby

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

For shtts and giggles, I like it!

2 small thoughts

I would move Leivo onto the 2nd line...(Better hands) and I would like to see Virtanen and McEwen play with Gaudette

and I really think Rathbone will impress and earn a spot......as will Brisebois

PS.......Really like the Holtby idea!

• Upvote 1

Agreed with your 1st two points.

Not sure about the point in letting Marky go, depending on how many suitors he has Holtby could probably still demand at least $5 million (he's currently at $6.1) and wonder if Anderson's honestly too old at 40 to have many more good years.  I'm also of the camp of possibly trading Demko if the team still isn't sold on him as the #1 by the crossroads at the E.D. of who to protect.

Pearson I'm torn, he's shown good chemistry in a shutdown role with Bo but yes he can price himself out.  If Jake takes that next step I'd be for it.
Also Stecher's probably priced out too

Edited by Phil_314
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

In my opinion the Canucks are going into a bit of a cap crunch, but I do think there are things they can do.

1st: Sit Eriksson this playoffs. His feet are too slow and we need higher energy/pace guys in the bottom 6. Ideally Eriksson takes this as a major slight and retires or mutually agrees to terminate his contract. If not Id waive him first thing next season with again the hope being he retires, instead of playing in Utica.

2nd: Put Ferland on LTIR. His concussion symptoms have continued for nearly a whole year. One more bad hit could put his long term health at risk and no one wants that.

3rd (and most controversial): Let Markstrom walk. After this season he's going to demand a major raise and I don't think the Canucks can necessarily pay such a price. Not to mention it was his contract year and he doesn't have a long resume of quality years.

- Id rather start the hand over of the reins to Demko and sign a cheaper goalie to split/ backup Demko depending on Demko's play. Maybe Holtby or Anderson.

4th: Trade Pearson. He's on a good contract going into his contract year. Id imagine he could demand a 2nd round pick. His ice time is also easily replaceable by our other forwards.

Resign Tanev, Toffoli, Stecher, Gaudette, MacEwen and Virtanen for sure. Then if theres available space resign Leivo and Motte. Trade Benn or more likely waive him and hope he retires.

Virtanen-Horvat-Boeser

Leivo-Gaudette-MacEwen

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Motte

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Stecher

Brisebois-Myers

Rafferty 

Demko

Holtby

i believe benning said 5 months ago theres about 7 prospects he believes are nhl ready  that they willbe slowly bringing up    soo rathbone rafferty juolevi brisebois macewen hoglander jasek lind all have shots next yr its doubtful ufas  tanev stecher and leivo are coming back   holtby  doesnt look that good thins yr if ur not resigning markstrom go with demko and sign a backup like ryan miller  the next yr podzolkin arrives

Edited by canuktravella

Eriksson might actually be thankful to be sent to the minors. His salary won’t be subject to escrow in the minors. He’d literally make $800k more playing in Utica than in Vancouver.  That said. People were saying the exact same thing last offseason, essentially saying he was as good as gone because he’d be waived. Guess what. Never got waived.  I doubt he does  this year either 

9 hours ago, billabong said:

Leivo days as a Canuck are over 

he hasn’t even started skating yet, best case scenario for him is a PTO 

Actually that probably increases his chance of being a Canuck.  He was way outperforming his contract and in line for a raise that would have priced him off our team.  Now he is likely looking at a 1 year deal to see if he is healthy at the same price as now.

If we don’t sign Toffoli and/or manage to rid ourselves of Virtanen, Leivo is a good placeholder until Podkolzin arrives and earns minutes.

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Actually that probably increases his chance of being a Canuck.  He was way outperforming his contract and in line for a raise that would have priced him off our team.  Now he is likely looking at a 1 year deal to see if he is healthy at the same price as now.

If we don’t sign Toffoli and/or manage to rid ourselves of Virtanen, Leivo is a good placeholder until Podkolzin arrives and earns minutes.

leivo is done as a canuck  knee must be really damaged to be not playing 7 months later   maybe hes gonna sign in europe    

On July 17, 2020 at 5:20 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Virtanen-Horvat-Boeser

Leivo-Gaudette-MacEwen

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Motte

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Stecher

Brisebois-Myers

Rafferty 

Demko

Holtby

Let Markstrom walk and Sign Holtby? Holtby will demand more then Markstrom..I think Markstrom is a better goalie ...Remember Holtby has been playing on a much better team then Holtby...

We need a top #2 D Man -- Trade from your strength wingers for your weakest position...

Sign Taffoli for at least 3to 4 years...Then trade Boeser for the top #2 D man to play big minutes with Hughes...Risto 6'3, 25 - 40 points - 25 mins fit is good..

Need to trade for this type of D man.....

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Let Markstrom walk and Sign Holtby? Holtby will demand more then Markstrom..I think Markstrom is a better goalie ...Remember Holtby has been playing on a much better team then Holtby...

We need a top #2 D Man -- Trade from your strength wingers for your weakest position...

Sign Taffoli for at least 3to 4 years...Then trade Boeser for the top #2 D man to play big minutes with Hughes...Risto 6'3, 25 - 40 points - 25 mins fit is good..

Need to trade for this type of D man.....

Demko is nearly/ is ready to play as the starter. Markstrom is going to demand a longterm contract whereas Holtby or Anderson wont.

I heavily disagree with trading Boeser. Boeser's worst season is better then Toffoli's best. Plus he's younger.

Let our young D grow. Juolevi, Brisebois, Woo, Rathbone and Rafferty all have the potential to be top 4 D in my opinion and we need to led them grow. 

22 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Demko is nearly/ is ready to play as the starter. Markstrom is going to demand a longterm contract whereas Holtby or Anderson wont.

I heavily disagree with trading Boeser. Boeser's worst season is better then Toffoli's best. Plus he's younger.

Let our young D grow. Juolevi, Brisebois, Woo, Rathbone and Rafferty all have the potential to be top 4 D in my opinion and we need to led them grow. 

We can't keep everyone..I disagree Taffoli is very good and plays a complete 200 foot game.. playing with Petey --GP 75 - 25-30 G - PTS 65

How good do you like Boeser will be?

Playing with Petey at best Boeser GP 75 - G 33  A 35 -- PTS 68   

Boeser is not a great skater, should score 25-33 goals if healthy....Boeser will demand 7.5 million next contract?????? Sorry can't afford him on his next contract.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Your dreams  of Loui walking away from his contract look to be thoroughly crushed 

He’s not going anywhere- well maybe Utica.   I’m fully prepared to not see him leaving until his contract is done.   All these silly Demko and LE to OTT or DET proposals are borderline delusional.  The next two years are going to be tough but we will get through it.    It’s not like we have 4 players taking up half the cap either (hello TO ha ha ha ).    Do we have issues? Sure ... but they are manageable.   NO cap dumps.   Accept TT is a rental.   Get on with it.   

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, wildcam said:

We can't keep everyone..I disagree Taffoli is very good and plays a complete 200 foot game.. playing with Petey --GP 75 - 25-30 G - PTS 65

How good do you like Boeser will be?

Playing with Petey at best Boeser GP 75 - G 33  A 35 -- PTS 68   

Boeser is not a great skater, should score 25-33 goals if healthy....Boeser will demand 7.5 million next contract?????? Sorry can't afford him on his next contract.

What does this even mean?  Can’t afford  TT? Agree on that.   Afford BB? For sure we can.    Why would we sign TT when we have BB - younger option - already proven he can outperform or outproduce him.  A lot of fans need a serious reality check - how many UFAs get their money and then just float? Well we have some on our team already and could give you a lot of other examples.   TT is a luxury MAYBE we could afford a season from now.  Absolutely plus something else the following one

Edited by IBatch

On 7/20/2020 at 2:55 PM, IBatch said:

What does this even mean?  Can’t afford  TT? Agree on that.   Afford BB? For sure we can.    Why would we sign TT when we have BB - younger option - already proven he can outperform or outproduce him.  A lot of fans need a serious reality check - how many UFAs get their money and then just float? Well we have some on our team already and could give you a lot of other examples.   TT is a luxury MAYBE we could afford a season from now.  Absolutely plus something else the following one