The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 02, 2020 | Wild lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think so, though there's an element of it, for sure.  As a coach you can do everything right, set the table perfectly, but it's the players who have to execute the gameplan.  I feel pretty confident that Green's gameplan was not to skate around the perimeter and don't take any shots.  

Once the game starts, a coach doesn't have many ways to impact a game.........what could Green have done differently, really?  Minny's top 4 shut down the Canucks top 6 and the top 6 fwds had 5 passengers last night.

That's why the blues kept their coach last year and the wild kept their coach this year. The players just weren't doing it right. 

Come on Canucks, perfect the chip and change system already and win the cup!

Edited by Moose Nuckle

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think so, though there's an element of it, for sure.  As a coach you can do everything right, set the table perfectly, but it's the players who have to execute the gameplan.  I feel pretty confident that Green's gameplan was not to skate around the perimeter and don't take any shots.  

Once the game starts, a coach doesn't have many ways to impact a game.........what could Green have done differently, really?  Minny's top 4 shut down the Canucks top 6 and the top 6 fwds had 5 passengers last night.

Agree for the most part. What I found frustrating with Green last night was he didn't try anything to get his team going or catch Minny off guard.

He'd go full blender in the 2nd during reg season when the boys were being suffocated.

After Pearson's penalty to start the 3rd I expected some juggling, they just weren't getting results and as the 3rd wore on the team struggled more and more yet he kept rolling the same lines.

Minny totally shut the door and we had like 3 $&!#s or something awful.

Yes, the players are responsible for $&!#ty passing and very poor execution, but Green was too hesitant to shorten the bench.

Oh well. Hopefully he learned lots from the game tape and he's open to going with a heavier roster tomorrow 

• Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Well then how about this: let us just be the most unfair organization in the history of sports with the worst coach ever, in that we try to help Jake become a better pro, and then if he doesn't put in the work, we trade him for a right D. That would just be so unjustified!

well we are that, but who you talking about, Wonkie Willie or Bill, Billie's Raider's Laforge?

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

do you honestly believe the strategy was to just "wing it and see what happens"?  If there was no structured attack it's because the players on the ice didn't execte one.  This isn't some bush league........every player and coach is among the very best on the planet.  Minny's defense completely, 100% owned the Canucks top 6 last night..........if you feel like you need to point fingers, that's who you point at.  If I thought it was Green's fault, in any way, I'd say so as he's in my doghouse right now.  His mistake came before the game, not during it.

petey 2 sog

Boes - 1 sog

Miller - 1 sog

Pearson - 0 sog

Toffoli - 0 sog

Horvat - 0 sog

not one single scoring chance or even remotely dangerous play from the top 6.  

in one word... overpassing.   Goaltending is one area that we should definitely have an advantage in this series yet instead of hammering the net we treated it like we had to finesse one in. 

I think the mix on the third line didn't work.  

Gaudette didn't really work with Ferland and Rous.  They were mostly looking to make trouble on the boards while he is a little more of an attack the net guy. 

Jake has a little more of an offensive flare to his game and compliments Gaudette better.

Would like to see him with Jake and Ferland next game.

Pearson had a terrible night, taking stupid penalties, he could also slide down.

Roussel could slide down or out.  Sutter, Motte could come out, not really to concerned about which.

Really just would rather see Jake and Julolevi in but I know I won't get that.

Edited by DrJockitch

If the Canucks need to be on a PP to score a goal, then they're not a very good team. Score more 5 on 5 goals, then they'll have something. Blaming the refs for losses is silly. Even if the Canucks get 5 minor penalties, that still leaves 50 minutes of 5 on 5 and/or PP time. Score a goal! What are they waiting for? Sure they had a lot of shots in Stalok's crest and glove, but how many Grade A chances did they have?

15 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

in one word... overpassing.   Goaltending is one area that we should definitely have an advantage in this series yet instead of hammering the net we treated it like we had to finesse one in. 

Hmmmm.... I can only remember 2 instances of obvious overpassing.

1 - Petey makes stupid pass to Toffoli instead of ripping it from the circle.

2 - Edler with that I dont even know what when he had a legit chance in the slot.

Yes, that's two too many, but I wouldn't pin the loss on overpassing. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Agree for the most part. What I found frustrating with Green last night was he didn't try anything to get his team going or catch Minny off guard.

He'd go full blender in the 2nd during reg season when the boys were being suffocated.

After Pearson's penalty to start the 3rd I expected some juggling, they just weren't getting results and as the 3rd wore on the team struggled more and more yet he kept rolling the same lines.

Minny totally shut the door and we had like 3 $&!#s or something awful.

Yes, the players are responsible for $&!#ty passing and very poor execution, but Green was too hesitant to shorten the bench.

Oh well. Hopefully he learned lots from the game tape and he's open to going with a heavier roster tomorrow 

I honestly don't think there's anything he could have done last night.  By leaving Jake out of the lineup his top 6 was set in stone 

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

it is pretty accurate though.  The things posters want to lay at the feet of Green had nothing to do with coaching, but with execution.

It’s a common theme after a loss the last 20 games or so...and when we win it’s the players and not the coaching.    There are a few coaches that can squeeze a little more then the average NHL coach - sometimes at a cost (unsustainably)... 

We have a middling roster right now yet somehow are supposed to be better.   Most experts picked us outside the playoffs at the start of the season.  We made it.   Me I just going to enjoy how ever many games I can and hope for the best.   

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It’s a common theme after a loss the last 20 games or so...and when we win it’s the players and not the coaching.    There are a few coaches that can squeeze a little more then the average NHL coach - sometimes at a cost (unsustainably)... 

We have a middling roster right now yet somehow are supposed to be better.   Most experts picked us outside the playoffs at the start of the season.  We made it.   Me I just going to enjoy how ever many games I can and hope for the best.   

Same and though I'm frustrated with Greens treatment of Jake right now, he's gotten results from a lineup most didn't think would produce much at all.  

At the end of the day, the obvious answer is the correct answer.... our guys just need to shake off the rust and find their groove. It definitely seems that other teams around the league have done this quicker and better than us. Hopefully we can eek out some wins while this happens, and really start clicking for the next series

3 minutes ago, VaNux said:

At the end of the day, the obvious answer is the correct answer.... our guys just need to shake off the rust and find their groove. It definitely seems that other teams around the league have done this quicker and better than us. Hopefully we can eek out some wins while this happens, and really start clicking for the next series

It has to do more with going up against one of, if not the best top 4 d in the league

20 hours ago, luckylager said:

Hmmmm.... I can only remember 2 instances of obvious overpassing.

1 - Petey makes stupid pass to Toffoli instead of ripping it from the circle.

2 - Edler with that I dont even know what when he had a legit chance in the slot.

Yes, that's two too many, but I wouldn't pin the loss on overpassing. 

it wasn't just passing when they could shoot, but making bad passes in the offensive zone when they could've held on or driven the net.   We really needed a greasy one last night.

And i certainly wasn't pinning the loss on that... just responding to the post about how ineffective our top 6 was.  Personally i thought Tofolli was the most disappointing (and Pearson taking 2 penalties)

Edited by Jayinblack
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

I honestly don't think there's anything he could have done last night.  By leaving Jake out of the lineup his top 6 was set in stone 

Fair assessment.

I guess swapping Tuff and Boes, Pearson and Ferky may not have done much, but it woulda been something.

Green talks about the young players leArning from the experience

What exactly did they learn? The fact that when a coach does not prepare his team and adapt in game the team will lose?

the person the needs to learn is Green  

he throws his “young” players under the bench and takes zero accountability himself. His ego is pathetic. Thinks he is an awesome coach yet he has won nothing and gets out-coached game after game 

time to end the Green experiment JB  

I never thought I would say this but Willie D is 10 times the coach Green is and Willie is awful 

• Wat 2

30 minutes ago, guntrix said:

The top-6 need more accountability. I'm bewildered as to why people are focusing on Motte's, Roussel's and Gaudette's lack of scoring chances when the guys whose job it is to score were completely ineffective. 

Easier matchups for them.

When our top line is getting shutdown by one of the best pairs in the league it’s that much more important for our bottom 6 to step up. That’s the only way you go anywhere in the playoffs.

We need to see a lot more crash and bang from them. That’s why I wanna see Virtanen and MacEwan in.

Edited by DeNiro

14 minutes ago, VaNux said:

Next series? Seriously?

you are looking past Minny when we just showed our team is unprepared and has zero system to play defensively and score goals