The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Panthers to part ways with GM Dale Tallon

Rate this topic

You state the market is not large enough in Quebec I say untrue, you state Montreal would lose money I say I dont know. Did Montreal lose money with Nords in Quebec? I have heard the same argument about a second team in Ontario costing Toronto money but the fan base is definatly there.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, crobar said:

You state the market is not large enough in Quebec I say untrue, you state Montreal would lose money I say I dont know. Did Montreal lose money with Nords in Quebec? I have heard the same argument about a second team in Ontario costing Toronto money but the fan base is definatly there.

Montreal media says that.  They did a study a few years ago and corporates answered that they wouldn't be spending more money but will rather spread their spending over both teams.  Also the younger generation don't really know the Nordiques so Montreal has a hand on the Quebec market and is not looking to share. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Tallon breathes a sigh of relief

Florida is a train wreck but Tallon is not part of this. If he lands with the right ownership group he will make them a contender.

Except the Bobrovsky contract. Didn't look good the moment it went public. Now, looks even worse. It may have been the nail in the coffin. Not to mention Quenville's contract. That's a lot of coin tied up on a team that sells no tickets. 

On 8/8/2020 at 7:54 AM, mll said:

The market is not large enough to have 2 teams in Quebec.  It would cost Montreal fans and corporate revenue.

Montreal is only behind Toronto, Detroit & NYR. In franchise value?

It may be debatable whether Quebec has the market size to make it? That is a different question.   

The Hab's, their fans & grass roots support is iconic in all of sport. Who show up in every arena, every market louder than your fans. Transcending hockey. 

I saw Boy George walking in the streets of Melbourne once? Wearing the bleu, blanc et rouge & its crest in its glory as a fashion statement with matching red hat. 

Man U, the Yankees, Cowboys, Celtics. Among the top 3 or 5 sporting franchises in the world!

• Cheers 1

Florida got their nose bloodied pretty good in expansion last go?

That and their goalie.

Otherwise my observation is Tallon navigated pretty good with ultiple restrictions, multiple owners. 

Its them he has to please? Not the fans!

On 8/9/2020 at 2:04 AM, rekker said:

Except the Bobrovsky contract. Didn't look good the moment it went public. Now, looks even worse. It may have been the nail in the coffin. Not to mention Quenville's contract. That's a lot of coin tied up on a team that sells no tickets. 

To be fair I think any team would written Quenville a blank check. He's the most successful coach in the NHL's modern history. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

To be fair I think any team would written Quenville a blank check. He's the most successful coach in the NHL's modern history. 

For sure, 100 percent. Top three coach in the NHL. Just wonder if they cut him a cheque they couldn't afford thinking between coach Q and Brobs that attendance would surge, team would improve. It just didn't turn out that way. 

14 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Montreal is only behind Toronto, Detroit & NYR. In franchise value?

It may be debatable whether Quebec has the market size to make it? That is a different question.   

The Hab's, their fans & grass roots support is iconic in all of sport. Who show up in every arena, every market louder than your fans. Transcending hockey. 

I saw Boy George walking in the streets of Melbourne once? Wearing the bleu, blanc et rouge & its crest in its glory as a fashion statement with matching red hat. 

Man U, the Yankees, Cowboys, Celtics. Among the top 3 or 5 sporting franchises in the world!

It's not about how passionate fans are but whether the market is large enough to accommodate 2 teams.  Corporate revenue is a large portion of income and they aren't looking to increase their spending but will rather take away a portion of what they are spending on Montreal to give it to Quebec.

The NHL is not looking to take fans or corporate investments away from one franchise to give it to another.  They are looking to increase their market to get more income.

• Upvote 1

On 8/7/2020 at 3:11 PM, costanza7 said:

Jim Benning is INTELLIGENT ????

Wow...that's a first

I doubt the man even completed high school

He clearly struggles with comprehension of the english language and has trouble stringing a sentence together with out using the words "you know"

Tallon>Benning...and it isn't even CLOSE !

Someone must have really broken your heart there, sport. Here’s a hanky. 

7 hours ago, mll said:

they aren't looking to increase their spending but will rather take away a portion of what they are spending on Montreal to give it to Quebec.

This is a classic easy out line. And only has a small component of truth to it.  Corporate spending includes cor[orate boxes, tickets. The overwhelming component is advertising. Who is the potential market, how do I reach them?

On 8/9/2020 at 5:38 AM, mll said:

Montreal media says that.  They did a study a few years ago and corporates answered that they wouldn't be spending more money but will rather spread their spending over both teams.  Also the younger generation don't really know the Nordiques so Montreal has a hand on the Quebec market and is not looking to share. 

Corporates do not choose favorite teams, for the most part. They choose where they get a return for their advertising dollar.

Its true they can reach some mad fans bleeding Habs adverts across Quebec. But like your point about the NHL expanding their market? Here in Vancouver we get overexposed to Toronto media. Their love affair with the Leafs. How many CDC comments a day is there blathering ad hoc about Toronto Satin Nation? Do people watch it because its hockey? Some, but not enough. I have no interest where Austin Matthews buys his Lexus. Most tune out till its their team & their market. 

TSN would almost be irrelevant here without a team. Hockey as a whole. We barely watch Canucks when they are losing? Arthur Griffiths would still own the team!

TSN still have to set up local coverage. Local content. Executives do not advertise, spend the same money, where it gets no return. If a team creates opportunity? 

They will investigate it. 

Buffalo & Seattle are 50% closer to NHL markets than QC to Montreal. I have no doubt having Seattle in the NHL will bring revenue to the Canucks, Vancouver as a whole. Increased traffic at the Peace Arch?  Than if that market lay dormant! There are Sabres fans who travel to Toronto that otherwise have ZERO interest in Canada.

I believe QC creates opportunity for Montreal. The only question is can they generate enough support as a whole. Quebec will get a team if and when it can demonstrate that they can generate the necessary revenue.

Territory will have nothing to do with it.