The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 16, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Green Building said:

Nah dude, we were tired in the 3rd OT as a result of getting hemmed in in our own zone with only enough energy to dump and change. And the Blues had an extra 1/2 step the entire time. 

First 2 periods were really good, then we fizzled with chances much harder to come by. Our passes began looking like sloppy Game 1 against the Wild.

Definitely..., its what a constant pounding does to players... Its the Blues way of playing hockey. 

3 hours ago, runtzguy said:

It took Lind his first whole AHL season to be productive in his second AHL season. And you want to throw him in a crucial Game 4? Um, no. 

The guys that have played need to pick it up and that is all.

^^^^^ this x 1000%

plus Lind is not even on the Canucks playoff roster bubble list, so he's not an option anyway.

If Toffoli and Myers are healed enough to play, then they both slot in, but more likely the same guys in Game 3 need to play in Game 4 but with more effort and tidy up those mistakes.

Green could give Roussel, Benn and Fanta more ice time. They were not disappointing and can shoulder the extra load to take pressure off others.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Whalespray said:

Had to know the defending champs weren't just gonna lie down and get steamrolled. We're in a dog fight now. This is exactly what the kids need. How they respond tomorrow will be very telling. I think we gotta get Gaudette back in. Virtanen wasn't terrible but he hasn't been good enough he should be %@#$'n dominating with the weakest defensive matchups as the Blues hands are full shutting down our top 2 lines. 

The loss of Myers was very evident tonight. Myers haters take notice.

Miller Pete Boeser

Pearson Bo Loui

Motte Sutter Gaudette 

Roussel Beag MacE

Hughes Tanev

Edler Stetcher

Benn Rafferty

As long as we keep them defending we're winning we simply can't shut them down so we must stay on the attack. 

Thought Fanta was one of our best D’s last night. Very good. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Sweet fan you are. Packing it in after one loss<_<

Hey don't get me wrong I would be very happy if Canucks win the series. But I look at these elite teams and they have no problems pulling out of a 2-0 series deficit. Boston did it twice in 2011 and Washington did it en route to their first cup. 

If Canucks can pull it off wonderful but I think the defending cup champs have one more gear in them to take over the series now

5 hours ago, Whalespray said:

Had to know the defending champs weren't just gonna lie down and get steamrolled. We're in a dog fight now. This is exactly what the kids need. How they respond tomorrow will be very telling. I think we gotta get Gaudette back in. Virtanen wasn't terrible but he hasn't been good enough he should be %@#$'n dominating with the weakest defensive matchups as the Blues hands are full shutting down our top 2 lines. 

The loss of Myers was very evident tonight. Myers haters take notice.

Miller Pete Boeser

Pearson Bo Loui

Motte Sutter Gaudette 

Roussel Beag MacE

Hughes Tanev

Edler Stetcher

Benn Rafferty

As long as we keep them defending we're winning we simply can't shut them down so we must stay on the attack. 

Taking Fanta out would be insane, Benn would be first to come out 

Loui is a waste in the top 6 

I do think Jake has tremendous potential but unfortunately he does not have any hockey smarts and his lack of discipline is a serious issue, the world juniors was a warning of that 

the ref had zero choice but to call that slew foot

that penalty changed the momentum along with the fact we could not score immediately to take a 2-0 lead. Had many chances

• Cheers 1

Just watched the game ... got to say we hung in there and battled well, finally a game where the refs didn’t go nuts on us ... LEs had to be called... a few missed ones for us but overall ... great game.   Sucked we lost ... Our PP keeps doing it and 5 x 5 lets just say that we need TT back to give us a boost and take JV out .. missed opportunities on his part might have changed this - same with BB really but the Lotto line was definitely much more noticeable this game and should be again tomorrow with last change.   Huge game tonight. 

• Vintage 1

Didn't get to watch the game. Woke up at 4 am but fell back asleep ..... however, OT had just started when I woke up for work. Seems like it could have gone either way. Either way, I don't really understand how anybody can complain. We had the chance to go up 3-0 agaginst the defending champs, and have less than 24 hours before we can work on a 3-1 series lead. The boys look motivated and determined to shut up all the critics that counted them out in september. 

Nobody thought we would make waves in the playoffs this year. We are. No matter the result, we're showing the world that our team is serious and that people should keep an eye on us and how we built our team. We have absolutely nothing to lose, and we're playing like it. 

A little perspective; St Louis fans are much more nervous tonight than we are. We have them on the ropes. One big win tonight and the series is ours. All the pressure is on St Louis

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Hey don't get me wrong I would be very happy if Canucks win the series. But I look at these elite teams and they have no problems pulling out of a 2-0 series deficit. Boston did it twice in 2011 and Washington did it en route to their first cup. 

If Canucks can pull it off wonderful but I think the defending cup champs have one more gear in them to take over the series now

Ha ha so far they haven’t been capable to play at an extra gear and I don’t see it that way.   We’ve kept up to them for the most part and our special teams have been much better.   Allen coming in equalizes things but I wouldn’t say advantage St Louis - id say it’s still definitely anyone’s series.   We have more skill - that much is definitely apparent - as long as QHs and EP can play I’d say advantage us despite their cup last year.   They have had the lead for 37 seconds ... the entire series.   

• Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Didn't get to watch the game. Woke up at 4 am but fell back asleep ..... however, OT had just started when I woke up for work. Seems like it could have gone either way. Either way, I don't really understand how anybody can complain. We had the chance to go up 3-0 agaginst the defending champs, and have less than 24 hours before we can work on a 3-1 series lead. The boys look motivated and determined to shut up all the critics that counted them out in september. 

Nobody thought we would make waves in the playoffs this year. We are. No matter the result, we're showing the world that our team is serious and that people should keep an eye on us and how we built our team. We have absolutely nothing to lose, and we're playing like it. 

A little perspective; St Louis fans are much more nervous tonight than we are. We have them on the ropes. One big win tonight and the series is ours. All the pressure is on St Louis

Team has done better them most of us expected, they are fighting hard out there and this is all as a fan I can ask for.

I am happy with this season and direction the team is going. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Boeser has been near invisible btw. A big disappointment after looking good against Minny. 

I dont know if he is playing injured or scared...

He looked great against Minni but they are  a smaller team and not as strong physically.

Meanwhile Blues are a heavy team getting away with boarding, charging etc.  I forgot to comment that yesterday, I saw at least 2 occasions of Blues players leaving their feet and jumping into a hit in the corner.

Boeser nearly had his career ended on an awkward hit along the boards and into the bench door.  I wonder if these types of games makes him nervous when he knows that a 200+ player is charging at him with no reprecussions of hitting from behind (Sutter, Myers).  He is fumbling the puck along the boards etc.

3 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Boeser has been near invisible btw. A big disappointment after looking good against Minny. 

BB had two excellent scoring chances - one a hard pass tip that just missed the open net...the way the Blues have been on him to negate chances has more to do with it then anything, he’s hustling ever single shift too.   His chances will come, and they won’t all get stopped. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Green Building said:

You people ripping on Boeser make me sick. 

I agree

Boeser is a class act and happy he is on the team.  I do however want to see that hard, fast skating Boeser that played against Minni than this regular season version of Boeser.  his play during rookie year and last round vs Minni is different than regular season and current round. We know what he is capable of and he could be a huge lift to his line if he upped his play like we know he can.

If someone did a frame by frame of his skating, he was going at a 10 last round and an 8 this series.