The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 21, 2020 | Canucks win series 4-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Those kids games in between periods of NHL games don't count either, Stawns ,or if you have a big family and they all come to your games, that doesn't count either.

Is this supposed to be some kind of attempt at trolling?  If so they're about as thin as the sources you provide in the off topic forum.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, stawns said:

Is this supposed to be some kind of attempt at trolling?  If so they're about as thin as the sources you provide in the off topic forum.  

You don't even watch my sources, just write them off as bad. Also, if you were one of the guys that just skated out to pick up the hats when there was a hat trick, that doesn't count either.

52 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

I was wondering what people think about the effect of the bubble. No travel, no families, no fans. Does that favor one team over another?  I wonder. 

Older teams with older legs might benefit from no travel. But older teams where players are married with kids might be more negatively affected mentally. The young teams with more single guys are hanging with their buddies and having more fun maybe do better in this environment. It seems like the older teams got bounced. The Caps, Blues, etc and the younger teams like Isles, Ava and Canucks advance. I’ll have to look at average age stats and see if this holds any water.

Does a defensive team with a conservative style benefit from no fans generating extra energy? Are the Canucks with their high tempo game at a disadvantage without the energy of an audience?  

Hard to say what the conditions mean but as a viewer who would not be able to attend Canucks games in person in any event I think the games and broadcasts are great. 

Thinking about that as well. The younger players could benefit from accelerated bonding. It appears to be well established with the Canucks. No nightclubs or family diversions. Might be easier for the younger guys. More focus. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Timbermen said:

You don't even watch my sources, just write them off as bad. Also, if you were one of the guys that just skated out to pick up the hats when there was a hat trick, that doesn't count either.

Guys put the tape measures (or toothpicks) away - Canucks won, be happy, drink beer and enjoy the time between now and Sunday 

• Cheers 3

ok benning said hes finally filled the minors with prospects so he doesnt need to buy players in free agency  so i doubt we are bringing in alex petrioangelo  be amazing with him on d corp but maybe hes scouting  for a younger version of him  we can trade prospects for prospects.  alot of our vets value are going up  he could possibly trade benn, sutter, roussel and myers  with how they have played in playoffs. Louie eriksson and Sven baertchi  maybe they  void contracts so they can continue  nhl careers on a new team i cant see these 2 wanting to ride bus in utica  especially louie whos only owed 5 mill  on rest of contract   if louie sven void contracts we get 9.66 extra cap fingers crossed that this happens 

51 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I also thought that Gaudette looked good on RW and brought some added energy

Something to think about

Boeser, Virtanen, Gaudette, Podkolzin, McEwen, Lind...................Toffoli?.......that is a very young, and talented collection, outside of Toffoli's age.

I don't know why we've been so hesitant to put Gaudette on the wing before this game. The guy is capable of putting up top 6 numbers, but because our center situation looks the way it does, with the top 2 set in stone and the bottom 2 needing to be more defensively minded, he just hasn't really fit. I'd be super interested to see what he could do on Bo or even Petey's wing for a decent chunk of time. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Timbermen said:

warning on air GIF by Adult Swim

It's ok snowflake, you'll be ok.

Just now, UKNuck96 said:

Guys put the tape measures (or toothpicks) away - Canucks won, be happy, drink beer and enjoy the time between now and Sunday 

Agreed, Stawns, lets call a truce. I said some things, you said some things. We disagree on politics, doesn't make either of us bad people. I am right about marxism and JBP though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Even Hrudey said something to the effect that the Blues weren't getting NHL-level goaltending from him, so yeah.  But there were 2 teams on the ice and we made him look bad in a way that he never could have achieved on his own. 

True, can't give him ALL the credit.

We did play a role in breaking him to bits.  I'd say Petey was in his head from the get go.  Guy has too much ego and not enough focus.

image.png

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, xereau said:

They have a hell of a first line, but beyond that? Allstar Captain on D, but beyond that? Last year was a blue collar anomale that likely wont happen again for a long time, if ever. Teams with superstars almost always win. And we have at least two on this team.

They were missing Tarasenko who is a legit first line winger and they have an impressive 3rd line with Thomas (who will be a hell of a player) and Bozak.  I think St Louis is one of the deepest teams in the league that won the cup by being able to roll all lines and coming at teams in waves.  Parayko is a stud, Dunn, Faulk and Scandella give them really good depth.  I feel like their goaltending let them down, fortunately for us.    

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 hours ago, canuktravella said:

beating blues easily with out myers and toffoli  and edler hurt in game 5  come back win down 3-1 is insane  if we had won game 3 overtime  blues maybe have been  swept   so funny that their coach was trying these lame  excuses that they got destroyed 

Come on brother nothing easy about that series 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

No, You're saying if Pietrangelo gets injured we are going to have problems. I am saying Tanev and Sutter and injury prone and Toffoli barely played.  I disagree that without Toffoli we don't make the playoffs. Our seeding might be different but I don't see us missing the play-in round had we not traded for Toffoli. I honestly don't think Tanev is going to play 70+ games next year.. I think we lucked out to have him healthy in the playoffs with how he plays and his durability. Which is why I am hesitant to offer him a market value contract.

You're ignoring one thing....chemistry.

Tanev's played a HUGE role for Quinn....kept things nailed down so Quinn could slide in and do his stuff.  Sutter too, in the leadership he brings.  TT isn't as securely rooted but, don't get me wrong, this team also "works" because the guys all buy in to one another.  Egos are in check and they're super strong as a unit.  Sometimes you pull a guy called "Dad" (well, apparently Tequila too) and it can change the face of that.  As with the crowd noise...sure...a team will have to adapt and good ones will.  But if you don't have to go there, do you? 

Don't fix it when it ain't broke.  Down the road, sure...but I don't like these conversations right now.  We're in this thing...the guys who got us there deserve more respect in my mind.  I ain't passing on them just yet.

Maybe the proposals is a better spot for that discussion anyway?  AP is still the enemy to me.  

• Like 1

That tune, rolling around in my head "I'm still standing..." and this smile on my face... what a feeling.

What a team.

Really enjoying thinking about all the hockey minds that underestimated the Canucks. Some preside here on CDC, with full cups, spouting off about how we're not good enough to advance yet, we still need more experience, more pieces, we're too injured...

Hope they go buy some war paint, we have a tough road ahead, maybe the toughest if we get to the dance.

But here we are, just beat the champs in convincing manner, missing key players, we're still in it...we're ...still standing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1