The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 21, 2020 | Canucks win series 4-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

55 minutes ago, IBatch said:

To me that pretty much evens up no Tarasenko or Steen.   But agreed after that game they shouldn’t be making excuses or blaming goaltending - Allen wouldn’t have stopped all of those either.   We came in and outplayed the crap out of them until consecutive PPs were called to give them a chance ... and overall when you team leads for 16 minutes an entire series the better team won.   This team looks an awful lot like the Pens ones that recently one back-back cups, middling possession all counter-attack and nobody questioned them along the way.     It’s only one series (well two really) - Vegas isn’t as good as St Louis but are still a good team - the difference to me is they aren’t nearly as stacked on D as the first 10 games we’ve played - and sure they have some size but not that type of size either.   Won’t be easy ... but we play like we have so far and I like our chances. 

I think the knights will be a far tougher challenge than the Blues. The Blues won 2 games in the bubble. Judging by their post series remarks it seems like half the team didn't wanna even be playing in the bubble. Anything can happen in these playoffs especially since there is no travel or home ice advantage. Teams like the Canucks who are playing for each other can really benefit.

• Upvote 1

Best game they could have played and they did! and Marky was there for them.

They stepped on their throats and never took their foot off the whole game....except for a little bit in the third.

They tore the heart out of the defending cup champs and ate it in front of them...okay, maybe not the last part.

This is how a team wins the stanley cup....they get big time production from their 3rd and 4th lines...Motter, Beagle, Sutter and Rous and our boy Stech!!!

Vegas will be a hard out...best team in this tourney other than our Canucks....Vancouver will be taking the toughest road to the cup...it will be sweet when they hoist it!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I swear to God I thought I was reading a post I wrote on HF trying to explain we are not as bad off as some want to believe. We will have a ton of cap thanks to Benning and the 7-10 prospects who will replace the vets over the next few seasons. I think it's 70 million off the books over the next two summers.

People think that Pettersson and Hughes are getting 12m a year.. It is ridiculous. I bet they come in around 7m.

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

People think that Pettersson and Hughes are getting 12m a year.. It is ridiculous. I bet they come in around 7m.

You see what's happening around the league with teams *cough Leafs* *cough* Panthers that have 10+ million tied up in players and it just skews the team's cap so much. Players may start to realize that by leaving 1-2-3 million on the table, it will lead to a more competitive team. I mean...that's the approach that's happened in Vancouver with Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Luongo - there is a legacy here of that. If Hughes and Pettersson sign deals of 5-6-7 years 7-8 million each, that leaves more than enough for another huge deal mid-career.

4 minutes ago, Canadian said:

You see what's happening around the league with teams *cough Leafs* *cough* Panthers that have 10+ million tied up in players and it just skews the team's cap so much. Players may start to realize that by leaving 1-2-3 million on the table, it will lead to a more competitive team. I mean...that's the approach that's happened in Vancouver with Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Luongo - there is a legacy here of that. If Hughes and Pettersson sign deals of 5-6-7 years 7-8 million each, that leaves more than enough for another huge deal mid-career.

This

Signing a relatively short term deals so we can get through the Luongo, and Eriksson contracts in particular.

Also now that we have made our statement to the league, we also wont have to over pay players or extended longer contracts as we did with Sutter, Beagle, Rooster, Ferland etc..

Marky was the star of the series for a reason. The Blues were getting plenty of chances. I thought the series would be won in the Van dzone but Marky carried the day not the d-core. 

The up up tempo game worked great for the Canucks in the neutral zone and the ozone. Forwards moved the puck well. The Stecher goal was a beaut. Stecher was impressive in the series. What truly stood out for me was the rush Virtanen made up the middle in the 3rd. No goal, maybe not even a shot, but his size and speed forced the d-men back and this created great space for his teammates. This has to continue against Vegas. MacKewan likely returns against Vegas as they are just as heavy as the Blues. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Canadian said:

You also have to look at COVID and the impact it will have for 2-4 years. Hall has already said he expects there to be a lot less money thrown around this FA so 7-8 for hughes/pettersson will be a pretty solid payday. Who knows maybe they come in around 6 for 2-3 years and then hope they can get a 10+ long term deal.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

I feel like i missed something. 

When did this Tony Stecher thing happen? 

I believe when he first earned a spot on the roster he went to a fund raising or similar public event and the announcer called him Tony Stretcher. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KirkSave said:

Probably but in the playoffs, attention to detail and smarts play a big factor, and even though Loui's scoring touch is gone, he brings value outside of that to the team game. Unless TT will be 100% I think we continue to go with this group that is playing so well together. Vegas is going to be a huge challenge as they have more scoring threats. Could be a high scoring series and in that case, TT would be much needed.

At 6 million, Loui doesn't bring value in any way, shape or form.  If he could do little things like clear the zone then you could argue that he contributes.  But he doesn't even do that reliably any more.  Tofolli  will get a shot if they can sort out the pk personnel, because that's the only thing keeping Loui in the lineup at this point.

After sleeping on it, 

I came up with the age of our young guns compared to the last time we were in the playoff is so unreal

I mean, the Sedin's were in there late 20's in 2011, where our young guns are in their early 20's

Dare I say we will have a much longer window, if we can keep them together, with all the cap restraint's 

That excites me as much as anything else, especially with the prospects we still have to arrive

• Cheers 1

I also thought that Gaudette looked good on RW and brought some added energy

Something to think about

Boeser, Virtanen, Gaudette, Podkolzin, McEwen, Lind...................Toffoli?.......that is a very young, and talented collection, outside of Toffoli's age.

• Cheers 1

I was wondering what people think about the effect of the bubble. No travel, no families, no fans. Does that favor one team over another?  I wonder. 

Older teams with older legs might benefit from no travel. But older teams where players are married with kids might be more negatively affected mentally. The young teams with more single guys are hanging with their buddies and having more fun maybe do better in this environment. It seems like the older teams got bounced. The Caps, Blues, etc and the younger teams like Isles, Ava and Canucks advance. I’ll have to look at average age stats and see if this holds any water.

Does a defensive team with a conservative style benefit from no fans generating extra energy? Are the Canucks with their high tempo game at a disadvantage without the energy of an audience?  

Hard to say what the conditions mean but as a viewer who would not be able to attend Canucks games in person in any event I think the games and broadcasts are great. 

Edited by hobart16