The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

2 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

A classic:

haha

No that user has a reputation of being a teacher’s pet / only one right in discussions. There’s a handful of members who I know of that choose not to interact with him. Similarly, I quite simply said no to his reply !

8 minutes ago, OYF said:

Taking on a 8.5m unknown for next 7 or 8 years makes it a lot harder to predict result. I would say 50/50 luck and good scouting.

I wouldn't say it's unknown what we would be getting, nor do I agree its too much about luck.

Benning did excellent with assessing both Pearson and Miller. He has done well in that regard lately. He wasn't quite as good with the vets he brought in early on, but has been solid since and has always been a pretty good assessment of still-ripe talent. If he feels OEL is a good fit, I believe he would be. And I believe he would perform equal if not better in our system.

It's a lot to take on, but a 2nd offensive weapon on the back end will do wonders. Not only that, but if this is a means to ease the cap burden (and it is) then I think this could be a savvy acquisition. Especially if Benning does a good job prying a deal out of Arizona, who really do want to blow it all up and are in a crappy position given OEL's demands.

• Thanks 1

I like to set the bar low and the real question you all must ask yourselves is .......

if we give up assets for OEL and as some players in a trade or free agent signing never fit with the new team and decline rapidly ..... see 2016 free agency 

Can you live with that money and term if things go sideways?

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

It's an interesting spitball -  my thoughts would be to let someone else help Tampa with that -  the 4yrs x 5 million would be challenging to make work for us (31 pt player...) - too much term and a difficult fit here imo...you could park him at 3RW but that's a hefty price and a bit of a roadblock there....

But they could use the future we send them for Foote to lubricate a move elsewhere....?

gotta give to get tho... buyout Sutter and Baer to make cap space for TJ, get Foote as the bonus. Just a thought. 

8 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

I like to set the bar low and the real question you all must ask yourselves is .......

if we give up assets for OEL and as some players in a trade or free agent signing never fit with the new team and decline rapidly ..... see 2016 free agency 

The year is 2014. Canucks miss the playoffs for only the 3rd time in 13 years. The Sedins have their worst season in a decade with four years remaining on their contract.

One year into his career with the Bruins, Proven top line two way winger Loui Eriksson has the worst season of his career since being a rookie. In the prime age of 28 maybe a change of scenery and new line mates is what he needs.

Loui has 8 years left at 6 million per year. Canucks give up a lottery protected 2015 first round pick in exchange for Eriksson. 

is OEL worth the risk ?

2 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

The year is 2014. Canucks miss the playoffs for only the 3rd time in 13 years. The Sedins have their worst season in a decade with four years remaining on their contract.

One year into his career with the Bruins, Proven top line two way winger Loui Eriksson has the worst season of his career since being a rookie. In the prime age of 28 maybe a change of scenery and new line mates is what he needs.

Loui has 8 years left at 6 million per year. Canucks give up a lottery protected 2015 first round pick in exchange for Eriksson. 

is OEL worth the risk ?

Loui Eriksson truly ruined us fans 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FireGillis said:

Benning needs to stay strong and not overpay because of that contract. Arizona needs to stop expecting full value for him! 

benning should set wednesday night as his drop dead date, put the pressure on zona. he's got other business to attend to after that point. 

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Loui Eriksson truly ruined us fans 

you'll get your revenge when he's in Utica next year. Then probably bought out the year after. Benning's interview this aft on 650 convinced me of that when discussing Loui. He's done in a Canucks jersey. 

Edited by Robert Long
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Benning needs to stay strong and not overpay because of that contract. Arizona needs to stop expecting full value for him! 

Arizona is playing a slow game & feels they can wait.

That's comical.  One of the two - 'Friedge' speaking for them, or Arizona, don't understand who holds the leverage here.

Call that bluff.

Edited by oldnews

2 minutes ago, tas said:

benning should set wednesday night as his drop dead date, put the pressure on zona. he's got other business to attend to after that point. 

Bennings  gotta know what he’s doing come free agency. Even the draft. Times ticking for Arizona

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

FORWARDS (11 - $53,111,033) TERMS POS STATUS AGE 2020-21 2021-22 2022-23 2023-24 2024-25 2025-26 2026-27
Matthews, Auston "A"   C NHL 23 $11,634,000 $11,634,000 $11,634,000 $11,634,000
UFA

Tavares, John "C" NMC C NHL 30 $11,000,000 $11,000,000 $11,000,000 $11,000,000 $11,000,000
UFA

Marner, Mitchell "A"   RW NHL 23 $10,893,000 $10,893,000 $10,893,000 $10,893,000

$10,893,000

UFA

2020 Missed Playoffs
2019 Lost First Round (Won 0 Rounds)
2018 Lost First Round (Won 0 Rounds)
2017 Lost First Round (Won 0 Rounds)

No God No GIFs | Tenor

Aho, Sebastian   C, LW NHL 23 $8,454,000 $8,454,000 $8,454,000 $8,454,000

2018-19 Carolina HurricanesCarolina Hurricanes NHL   82 30 53 83 25 26 | PLAYOFFS 15 5 7 12 3 2
2019-20 Carolina HurricanesCarolina Hurricanes NHL   68 38 28 66 10 26 | PLAYOFFS 8 3 9 12 6 4

Year Result
2020 Lost First Round (Won 0 Rounds)
2019 Lost Conference Finals (Won 2 Rounds)

2018-19 Vancouver CanucksVancouver Canucks NHL   71 28 38 66 3 12 |              

2019-20 Vancouver CanucksVancouver Canucks NHL   68 27 39 66 16 18 | PLAYOFFS 17 7 11 18 2 2

Oh Yeah… It's All Coming Together – Clay Magazine

Is Hughes a forward?

because Toronto having just one defenseman being that high skilled and paid that much and not being forward changes everything for that team.

You also in that cute little a/v promo did not include that Toronto does not have any prospects in the system that are highly touted as Podkolzn and Hoglander and Lind and Lockwood to fill out the Canuck roster in the future. The Leafs got into trouble not just by signing these big deals but because they haven't drafted well for the other pieces that need to play on ELC's in big minutes and that is what the Canucks have and Leafs don't. 

I'm glad lots of shiny things gets your attention, but attention to detail and facts get my attention more then lame gifs.

• Haha 1

Just now, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Is Hughes a forward?

because Toronto having just one defenseman being that high skilled and paid that much and not being forward changes everything for that team.

You also in that cute little a/v promo did not include that Toronto does not have any prospects in the system that are highly touted as Podkolzn and Hoglander and Lind and Lockwood to fill out the Canuck roster in the future. The Leafs got into trouble not just by signing these big deals but because they haven't drafted well for the other pieces that need to play on ELC's in big minutes and that is what the Canucks have and Leafs don't. 

I'm glad lots of shiny things gets your attention, but attention to detail and facts get my attention more then lame gifs.

20-30M on 1f/1d, 2f, 3f, 1g/1f. Don't make a difference.

Flat cap too.....

Don't be dumb. Don't overpay players. Don't be the Laffs. Dumb take is dumb take.

Aho makes 8.5. Has done as much as the last 2 seasons Petey, if not more and is only a year older.

Brain is a good organ when useful.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

That can happen to any player, it's the equivalent to saying you can get hit by a truck crossing the street while worring about cancer or a disease to kill you. OEL could be a Lidstrom clone and not have a drop off until he retires or he could be like my 1995 Olds 88 Royale that works for a while and then just gives up lol

OEL is a risk worth taking, specially if LE is going to Arizona

5 minutes ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

OEL is not Louie Erikkson.

OEL is an excellent offensive Dman. If his offense dries up to some extent (though i can't see that happening), his main value is, as a Dman, to prevent goals and chances. He's smart, consistent, and his skating will continue to be excellent even 4-5 years from now. Loui, OTOH, was slower than a glacial shelf in super slo-mo video from the time he arrived here.

Loui was brought in to play with the Sedins. When that didn't work, his offense was even more suspect further down the line-up since he's never been a play generator. OEL, OTOH, creates offense on his own and drives play.

OEL is a premier Dman at a premium position. Loui is a winger that needs the perfect, narrow fit, whether 5 on 5 or on the PP.

Well in all fairness... Erikssons offense dried up, however his defensive game has been relied on to protect the lead and PK. You cant paint them both with the same brush and have 2 different colors. If both cant contribute offensively, they both are atleast contributing defensively

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

20-30M on 1f/1d, 2f, 3f, 1g/1f. Don't make a difference.

Flat cap too.....

Don't be dumb. Don't overpay players. Don't be the Laffs. Dumb take is dumb take.

Aho makes 8.5. Has done as much as the last 2 seasons Petey, if not more and is only a year older.

Brain is a good organ when useful.

yes it does make a huge difference, if you have a defenseman and a centre being your two highest paid players that are also your foundation and all star players, because your team is more equal and not so lopsided when trying to fill out the rest of your roster, which is much different then having 3 forwards making almost $40 million and having to find a defenseman to get the puck to them otherwise all these forwards you are paying is wasted money if you can't get them the puck on breakouts or someone that is dynamic to make plays from the back end.

It seems like you have not been using your organ very well if you think having 3 forwards making $40 million is no different then having at least 1 defenseman that is highly skilled among your 3 players making $40 million. But also the Canucks won't have 3 players making $40 within the next few years even if OEL comes to Vancouver because Vancouver has more room in Pettersson and Hughes status where only Petey is the one need to give a long term deal within the next two years and Hughes will still have qualifying and mediation and can take a short bridge deal until giving him the Brinks truck.

Just now, knucklehead91 said:

Well in all fairness... Erikssons offense dried up, however his defensive game has been relied on to protect the lead and PK. You cant paint them both with the same brush and have 2 different colors. If both cant contribute offensively, they both are atleast contributing defensively

Loui, at $6 million per, isn't paid for his D. That's what the third and fourth lines are for. And you can get interchangeable parts that play good D on the bottom six for $1 mil - $2.5 mil. (Well, at least if you're not Santa Claus JB on July 1st.) Speaking of the PK, I wouldn't crow about Loui. Motte does a better job at near league minimum.

The positions and responsibilities aren't the same. When slow-skating forwards hit 30 years old, their offense frequently craters. And that's a top 6 forward's prime calling card -- offensive production. OEL is a smooth skater who will continue to generate chances. He also has an excellent shot, something the Canucks lack on the back end. And he's going from a defensively compromised team to an offensively dynamic one, with a similar offensive contrastst in their respective coaches' systems play.

If anything, OEL's numbers should increase if he lands here.

• Cheers 2