The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not only take chance on youth but if everything fails stock up on picks.

Trade for MAF, taking his full cap hit for 1st, 2nd, etc. 

Trade Pearson 1/2 retained for Killorn. Aim for Foote and good pick. 

if we try to get any FA aim for the younger ones on short term deals like maybe Wennberg on a show me deal. 

Stock up for 2021. Trade up to draft Luke Hughes. 

IMO that would be the best out of a worse case scenario. 

This. I mean it may not exactly be this but there will be trades to be made, bargain unqualified RFA's, bargain bought out UFA's etc.

This is not time to panic, it's opportunity.

• Cheers 4

25 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Well, we send them Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi and a 1st. How much "real" money is that exactly? 1 year of Sutter and 2 years Eriksson with less than his cap owed? Baertschi probably sits on IR.

They don't have the cap space to add over 12M in cap hit.  OEL is 8.25M.  Arizona only has 2.6M in cap space with 17 players.  Hossa could go on LTIR but as they are rebuilding they can't use up all his money or they won't be able to recall players because of their performance bonuses.  

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Since when do we listen to those idiots Jim? Did Squam take over your account? :P

:lol: everyone's so touchy this morning. Just shooting the $&!#. 

imo this whole thing is too complex to pull off, Jims going for the home run of dumping salary AND adding elite talent. I applaud the effort tho. 

Its maybe more interesting how Jim seems fine with letting our UFAs walk. That might have even more impact than adding OEL + losing prospects in the long run. 

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

if we try to get any FA aim for the younger ones on short term deals like maybe Wennberg on a show me deal. 

They can't intentionally take a step back with Petey/Hughes on their ELC's. But I do like the idea of still getting quality players while picking up draft picks.

If they can't get Marky done, I would look at MAF too. 

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

My guess is the Yotes would prefer to ship him out of conference so the trade doesn’t come back to haunt them.

Maybe they even take less to do so.

Best thing to happen would be the Bruins re-signing Krug today.

Perhaps, but I thought Vancouver would have been fine enough; the Coyotes are moving to the Central Division (I think?) after Seattle joins the league anyways. 

To the posters who have been saying that it would not be fair to Rathbone to move him. I think the opposite. Bringing in OEL pushes him down the chart and he might get a better shot on another team. Loui fits for both sides. Arizona probably wants a low cost forward as well plus possibly a pick.

Just now, mll said:

They don't have the cap space to add over 12M in cap hit.  OEL is 8.25M.  Arizona only has 2.6M in cap space with 17 players.  Hossa could go on LTIR but as they are rebuilding they can't use up all his money or they won't be able to recall players because of their performance bonuses.  

That makes sense.

How about Eriksson + Juolevi and a 1st.

$1.8325M real cash cost for coming season and $3M plus whatever Juolevi re-signs for the following year. That saves them 1.4175M$ in cap space, and $6.4175M in real cash.

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Wouldn’t hurt. We should still be able to compete for a playoff spot. I said it before it was a great year for the Canucks but let’s not get our heads wrapped up in that. There should still be a long term approach to this. I’m all for OEL under the right circumstances. But if we can’t really improve in a area, quit pretending with Free Agents. Although I would be ok with guys on show me deals like you said. Wennberg, I heard  Kahun wasn’t qualified 

Here's where I'd be at on our return:

Boeser, Podkolzin, Demko = non starter

Rathbone, Hoglander, 2021 1st = prefer not unless we send back alot of $$$

Rest I'm good with, including Gaudette. Jake would actually be ideal to send, then we don't have to deal with his contract.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They can't intentionally take a step back with Petey/Hughes on their ELC's. But I do like the idea of still getting quality players while picking up draft picks.

There’s one year left on ELC so I don’t buy it. Can’t throw everything away for one year Especially with the potential of the season falling apart due to COVID 

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Essentially we wouldn’t be taking much of a step back. MAF is a downgrade but still one of the better goalies available. 

Killorn is about the same level player as Pearson. 

Probably will have enough cap to re-sign a couple mid-tier players. Could re-sign Stecher. 

We would be more reliant on youth stepping up though but IMO it is worth all the youth we’d get for these players. 

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Boeser, Podkolzin, Demko* = non starter

Rest I'm good with. Jake would actually be ideal to send, then we don't have to deal with his contract.

I think a 1st is going to be a must as part of the trade for OEL, I also think Arizona is likely only willing to take 1 bad contract back and it likely is for a player with only 1 year remaining...meaning Sven, Sutter or Benn. If we make a deal we need to send at least 1 of those contracts along with Roussel or LE with retention. 

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Boeser, Podkolzin, Demko = non starter

Rest I'm good with. Jake would actually be ideal to send, then we don't have to deal with his contract.

tbh I don't think Hoglander is on the trade bait list either, too much scoring talent potential there. 

For me it would be Lind, Juolevi the most likely two on the block for prospects. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Essentially we wouldn’t be taking much of a step back. MAF is a downgrade but still one of the better goalies available. 

I would be all for taking Fleury if we can get Vegas to retain at least 2-3m and we get either a 1st and Korczek or at worst a 2nd and Korczak. We add a decent veteran G for 2 years, leaving him exposed to Seattle and we gain a decent RHD prospect as well.

I would also entertain taking on a Tampa contract if we could get Cernak or Foote included. Maybe we can send Roussel back who has 2 years at 3m and they flip him elsewhere?

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

The longer this drags on the more I hope Benning walks away. 

Agreed. My assumption is Benning has given underwhelming offers because were in the driver seat here and the longer this goes, it’s because they want a better offer. If they won’t fold to his lowball offer he should walk. 

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

tbh I don't think Hoglander is on the trade bait list either, too much scoring talent potential there. 

For me it would be Lind, Juolevi the most likely two on the block for prospects. 

Arizona is likely going to want 1 of Pod or Hog. Unfortunately due to injuries and his lack of progress since being drafted 5th overall teams will not see OJ as having much value. Lind is a decent prospect I would like us to keep as I think he can be a versatile F for us going forward and a solid 3rd liner one day hopefully.

3 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

Agreed. My assumption is Benning has given underwhelming offers because were in the driver seat here and the longer this goes, it’s because they want a better offer. If they won’t fold to his lowball offer he should walk. 

What's to say ARI keeps OEL, and he sits - until he's willing to expand his list.