The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

What if you did:

Demko, Virtanen, Sutter, Eriksson, prospect (Lind, Gaudette, Juolevi, Rafferty - depending who your high on), and a 2nd.

Almost 10 million out. 

Hmm give me Raanta/Keumper at half retention and maybe I'd think about it. No Gaudette though, prefer Rafferty out of that list.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

6 minutes ago, Darius said:

which makes me wonder which player/prospect can actually get this done.  Arizona wants value too...remember when Kesler handcuffed Benning...some fans were livid that Benning didnt play hard ball ..I suspect that the Arizona GM wont just give this guy away...hes a franchise calibre top pair d man.

It'll probably be a combination of the value of picks and prospects.

So either a 1st/2nd and Lind (+cap dump) OR 3rd/4th and one of Hog/Pod/Demko (+cap dump)

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Plan B is Alex Pietralengelo and in my opinion a way better and true number one defenceman. JB just needs to unload some cap, if he can.

Pietrangelo has Vegas on the top of his list per LeBrun.  He thinks Toronto is also an option with Florida a dark horse.

They look to be possibly moving Stastny to Winnipeg.  They'll have to find a solution for Fleury.  Apparently Nate Schmidt's name is out there too.  

Benning seems to want a puck mover.  NYI is apparently looking to move Leddy. There'll be Barrie as UFA.  Buffalo apparently tried to trade Montour before qualifying him.  DeAngelo is apparently also available from NYR.  

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Pietrangelo has Vegas on the top of his list per LeBrun.  He thinks Toronto is also an option with Florida a dark horse.

They look to be possibly moving Stastny to Winnipeg.  They'll have to find a solution for Fleury.  Apparently Nate Schmidt's name is out there too.  

Benning seems to want a puck mover.  NYI is apparently looking to move Leddy. There'll be Barrie as UFA.  Buffalo apparently tried to trade Montour before qualifying him.  DeAngelo is apparently also available from NYR.  

I think Vegas would be foolish to get rid of Schmidt, him and Theodore were an absolute force for them when playing us. If they get rid of Stastny & get Petro I will put them in my oiler/flame/leaf category for most hated teams. This team comes in the league and goes to a Stanley cup final, constantly in the playoffs, acquires big name players like Stone, Patches & potentially Petro. Go away all ready, time for you to suck. 

Edited by KKnight
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hmm give me Raanta/Keumper at half retention and maybe I'd think about it. No Gaudette though, prefer Rafferty out of that list.

That's assuming we get the deal done with Markstrom & have our goaltending solved anyways. (As that would block the path to Demko & begin the timer on that decision)

Personally I like Juolevi the best of that group. He's ready to play. I'd be fine giving up Gaudette as I don't see him being a fit long-term, but whether its him or Raff or someone else you get the idea. (A prospect that's not Hoglander or Podkolzin)

I'm sure AZ would push for that pick to be a 1st*. Personally I'd add another pick or prospect before doing that. (Say Raff & Lind). 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
1st not 2nd*

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

That's assuming we get the deal done with Markstrom & have our goaltending solved anyways. (As that would block the path to Demko & begin the timer on that decision)

Personally I like Juolevi the best of that group. He's ready to play. I'd be fine giving up Gaudette as I don't see him being a fit long-term, but whether its him or Raff or someone else you get the idea. (A prospect that's not Hoglander or Podkolzin)

I'm sure AZ would push for that pick to be a 2nd. Personally I'd add another pick or prospect before doing that. (Say Raff & Lind). 

If we traded Demko I'd bet Benning would sign Marky asap. One of the only ways you trade Demko is if Marky is for sure coming back.

I like Gaudette. I feel he's gonna be a more capable winger than Virtanen consistently and he's gonna come cheap for a bit since he has no arb rights.

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

You know what, I can live with moving the first rounder next year. With pretty much all juniors more or less aggected and the restricted travel, every pick no matter what round is gonna be pure lottery. If there is any year to give up the first rounder, it is the next one.

Never thought of that. Good point 

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Vegas and Toronto have no cap space for Alex Pietralengelo. Vancouver does. We can still manage to hopefully sign Tanev or TT with what remains (they can hopefully unload more cap space as time goes on).

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

You know what, I can live with moving the first rounder next year. With pretty much all juniors more or less aggected and the restricted travel, every pick no matter what round is gonna be pure lottery. If there is any year to give up the first rounder, it is the next one.

While I tend to agree with this line of thinking it would suck to not have 1st round picks in back to back years.

We're going to need to replenish the prospect pool if we trade away a couple of our top prospects...especially because we didn't have a 1st or 2nd  rounder this year. 

9 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

You know what, I can live with moving the first rounder next year. With pretty much all junior league more or less affected and the restricted travel, every pick no matter what round is gonna be pure lottery. If there is any year to give up the first rounder, it is the next one.

Great point.  And with what looks to be another solid draft for us + our forward depth, I'd be okay with that too.  BUT they would have to retain on OEL if they want a 1st.

11 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we traded Demko I'd bet Benning would sign Marky asap. One of the only ways you trade Demko is if Marky is for sure coming back.

I like Gaudette. I feel he's gonna be a more capable winger than Virtanen consistently and he's gonna come cheap for a bit since he has no arb rights.

Fair enough. Personally I'd gauge interest/what's available for Gaud now seeing as he's young. Then pick up a cheap-ish option for the 3rd line center spot, someone more rounded. Maybe a buyout guy like Turris/Wennberg (just to throw some names out). 

Edit: Wouldn't give him away though. Have to get something back that positions our team better now & going forward. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I realize there's other moving parts and salary BUT I dont think there's any way we can trade for OEL AND sign Markstrom. We only have $14 million (ish) OEL at 8.25 and Marky at 5.75 would eat up all our Cap...and we still have others we have to sign. 

It's an either or situation in my opinion, which is why you can't include Demko in the OEL trade. 

Just now, Blitz-Pix said:

I realize there's other moving parts and salary BUT I dont think there's any way we can trade for OEL AND sign Markstrom. We only have $14 million (ish) OEL at 8.25 and Marky at 5.75 would eat up all our Cap...and we still have others we have to sign. 

It's an either or situation in my opinion, which is why you can't include Demko in the OEL trade. 

Well we'd be sending cap to the Yotes that would equate to that 8.25M of OEL. So after the OEL trade we'd still have around the cap space we do now.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Well we'd be sending cap to the Yotes that would equate to that 8.25M of OEL. So after the OEL trade we'd still have around the cap space we do now.

I don't believe Arizona takes back equal Cap to OEL's. The whole idea here is for them to shed cap space IMO. They'd probably take something back but wouldn't expect it to be equal. 

From our standpoint any cap we send them is going right back into the market to find a reliable backup from potentially losing Demko in the trade....plus we would still have to fill out the rest of our roster. That's why I dont think we can afford both Marky and OEL. 

This is going to be a big trade and I think JB is going to use it to hopefully solve a couple of issues.

Sadly if OEL is coming in then Tanev might be left behind, but Toffoli and Tanev out would be a hard one to swallow, especially if this trade includes some scoring forwards.

If he's qualified Gaudette and Virtanen then they may well be in his plans and who knows, the pair could really break out next season and support the loss of Toffoli.

On D though, OEL is great but not as good a penalty killer as Tanev.

In the ideal world, I say we do one of the following:

1 - Virtanen + Lind + Eriksson + 3rd for OEL

2 - Sutter + Lind + 2nd for OEL and hopefully cP retained

In either scenario, we could re-sign Marky and Tanev for a combined 11M

OEL - Tanev

Hughes - Myers

Edler - Fanta/Benn

Probably best defence in the West there.

9 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

There's no way they make the OEL move without salary going back though. Whether it be Loui, Sutter, Baer, or even retention. It seems like a pre-requisite for the deal.

• Thanks 1