The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Sept. 01, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

44 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

For me it's a situational thing and not so much who is the "better player".

The Canucks are already getting pushed around. I'd rather see more size on defense. But that's just me, I suppose....

Stecher is also a natural right side, right handed D - whereas Benn playing the right side, is on his backhand (on the board side) attempting to clear/move the puck - and being slower he's both slower to retrieve pucks / easier to close on for forecheckers, and less agile/mobile/able to create space for himself to do so if/when he does retrieve those pucks. 

The transition game takes a notable step backwards with Benn in the lineup - and this is a transition team.  Particularly against Vegas, there's probably nothing as important as how quickly units can make their first pass and produce zone exits.

When it comes to gettng pushed around, I think the remedy is more pushback from forwards - more puck support.

I'd like more size and snarl as well - but if it's Benn vs Stecher, for me that's an easy decision - I sacrifice the size for effectiveness.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

For me it's a situational thing and not so much who is the "better player".

The Canucks are already getting pushed around. I'd rather see more size on defense. But that's just me, I suppose....

Size isn't everything or so I'm told  (Newbie looks down at his stuff and cries).

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yeah - you rarely hear Edler mentioned when people talk about team MVPs - but so far in this series it's him  - quietly or not, he has carried the team at times.

It's borderline unbelievable that he has the team's 2nd best goal differential 5 on 5 - he's handled an insanely heavy load.

People will appreciate more when he's gone (eg., you don't know what have until it's gone).:sadno:

• Cheers 3

51 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

LV must be worried

Honestly, I doubt they are. If it wasn't for Demmer's heroics we would have lost, and they aren't likely to be too down on this game after dominating for the first 2 periods.

Now we may be relying on similar performances from Demko to win the next 2 games - including a back to back where we don't have the luxury of another #1 goalie to shoulder the load like LV does.

I think Vegas is sitting in a pretty good position right now and that likely isn't lost on them either.

5 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

NBC's clock is wrong. Time was long expired on the Sportsnet feed

Yeah. The replay I saw this morning on SNET, showed the puck a good 10 feet from the goal when time expired. Too bad for Bo, but the important thing was the W....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Honestly, I doubt they are. If it wasn't for Demmer's heroics we would have lost, and they aren't likely to be too down on this game after dominating for the first 2 periods.

Now we may be relying on similar performances from Demko to win the next 2 games - including a back to back where we don't have the luxury of another #1 goalie to shoulder the load like LV does.

I think Vegas is sitting in a pretty good position right now and that likely isn't lost on them either.

I hope you're right.

There are a number of things related that could work against them.

1) I don't think they have enough respect for this opponent.  That plays into their frustration when things don't go their way - they are a notably different team when they're not beating up on their opponent.  And they get evidently frustrated.

2) I don't think the Canucks have played close to their best hockey.  Part of that is Vegas' pressure, part of that imo is Miller, Sutter and possibly even Horvat playing hurt - which overlaps and weakens the team at a critical position - but this team has another level they are capable of rising to, and Vegas blew their opportunity to close this series out when the Canucks were not at that level. 

If/when the Canucks correct that - as they did in the 3rd period, Vegas is in tougher than they were in general in game 5 - and the Canucks have a tandem that has proven capable of stealing games regardless.   Those things can snowball.   Demko was outstanding last night - but he did not have to be outstanding in the 3rd - he simply had to hold his ground. 

So Vegas is welcome to come in cocky and overconfident if they're dumb enough to - they might need to watch last night's 3rd period closely - because they came into it tied, with an opportunity to close the series out - and the Canucks both seized the lead and shut them down - even with their top 6 more rested, and with Vegas attempting to hit another gear = they were unable to.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Dano.Canuck said:

Look gang, the vagina knights are a good team. The entry draft guaranteed that. They’ve made moves since to bolster their roster and it shows. I’m proud we hung in there but we can’t give up 40+ shots a game and expect to win even if those shots were weak. 

Canucks record in this series when giving up 40+ shots: 2-0

When giving up less than 40 shots: 0-3

I think I will worry about other things.

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

Vegas is collection of big, fast, abrasive dudes with above average skills. 

But even Brock Boeser at 100% is better than any one guy on that team (other than Stone), and he’s like our 4th best forward.

Time to reclaim this series as a skilled series. I want to see Quinn overcome the relentless pressure and take matters into his own hands. He’s still quietly producing points, but he’s been almost completely erased by Vegas’ forecheck. I want to see the light go off where he’s like “screw it, I can take a hit, but they can’t take my puck”.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Dano.Canuck said:

Look gang, the vagina knights are a good team. The entry draft guaranteed that. They’ve made moves since to bolster their roster and it shows. I’m proud we hung in there but we can’t give up 40+ shots a game and expect to win even if those shots were weak. 

you came from a vagina.

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, nergish said:

Vegas is collection of big, fast, abrasive dudes with above average skills. 

But even Brock Boeser at 100% is better than any one guy on that team (other than Stone), and he’s like our 4th best forward.

Time to reclaim this series as a skilled series. I want to see Quinn overcome the relentless pressure and take matters into his own hands. He’s still quietly producing points, but he’s been almost completely erased by Vegas’ forecheck. I want to see the light go off where he’s like “screw it, I can take a hit, but they can’t take my puck”.

Hughes to Boeser, Boeser to Miller, Miller to Boeser.

Game broke.