The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blues trade Jake Allen, 2022 7th-round pick to Canadiens for 2020, 3rd-round pick, 2020 7th-round pick

20 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Binnington won them a cup.  Allen had several chances to be the #1 but faltered. They need cap space to re-sign Pietrangelo.  I doubt a poor showing in a 6 game series weighed in much in the decision. 

For sure, that can't be under-played.  I dunno, he was OK in the regular season and then poor in the playoffs.  I think that they've got a potentially big hole in net now.  Not that it upsets me.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I look at this trade, I see the cap hit for goalies in Montreal right now. I cringe looking at what has happened to teams that have signed goalies to huge contracts in The last 5 years

I really hope that Benning is paying attention to this and does not overqualify markstrom

if Marky will ask for too much, i wonder what we could get for his negotiation rights. 

Montreal seems to live or die on their goaltending, good move imo. Jake's got one year left at roughly 4m but Montreal can afford it, and having him will allow them to get the most out of price. Might seem steep for goaltending, but Price isn't getting any younger so managing his playing time will be important. 

Could see Allen staying for less once his deal is up on a shorter team deal if Montreal doesn't feel Primeau is ready. 

Edited by Coconuts

Meh - Allen may be paid a little too much for a backup but there isn't really a FA who is as consistent and as proven as him who wouldn't have had a similar cap hit. Greiss, Crawford, Lehner, Markstrom, maybe Khudobin? They're all gonna cost 3.5M+ and longer terms than 1 year, probably. Gotta show Carey that they care too.

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Meh - Allen may be paid a little too much for a backup but there isn't really a FA who is as consistent and as proven as him who wouldn't have had a similar cap hit. Greiss, Crawford, Lehner, Markstrom, maybe Khudobin? They're all gonna cost 3.5M+ and longer terms than 1 year, probably. Gotta show Carey that they care too.

If Primeau shows he's ready they can also flip Allen at the deadline and get a solid return from a team with injury problems, depending on their position in the standings.  Price is their franchise but he's got to get some rest once in a while.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

So here is a question for everyone that is relatively on topic.  This won't happen but if Carey Price was placed on waivers would you take him?  Personally I wouldn't due to his age and remaining contract cost and duration.  Begs the question to me based on that on whether Carey Price (With contract) has neutral value?  Still one of the top goalies in the game still, but the contract is a factor. 

:lol:

Lets just say he would get taken.  And he has an NMC.  He could pick his team...

Imagine the Oilers, not that they have the cap space with Price?

Colorado who do???

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Gotta get rid of Bozak/Steen now if they want enough cap for Pietrangelo.

Maybe Steen retires.

I bet $5 they buy out Steen! :frantic: 

$5.5 mill cap hit, just one year left which actually only owes $3.5 mill.   Real cost $2.67 mill (2/3rds of $3.5) over 2 years. 

Cost $1.83mill cap hit x 2 years. Savings year one $3.67 mill.

Jake Allen  $4.35 + Steen $3.67 = $8.02 mill off the books.

Plus Pietrangelo's current $6.5Mill salary.

They will have roughly $13.0 mill to sign Dunn & Pietrangelo.

( i accounted two additional entry level contracts for Ville Husso & Kliim Kostin he logical call ups )

I do not think Dunn will cost $5 mill... 

Edited by Canuck Surfer

51 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I bet $5 they buy out Steen! :frantic: 

$5.5 mill cap hit, just one year left which actually only owes $3.5 mill.   Real cost $2.67 mill (2/3rds of $3.5) over 2 years. 

Cost $1.83mill cap hit x 2 years. Savings year one $3.67 mill.

Jake Allen  $4.35 + Steen $3.67 = $8.02 mill off the books.

Plus Pietrangelo's current $6.5Mill salary.

They will have roughly $13.0 mill to sign Dunn & Pietrangelo.

( i accounted two additional entry level contracts for Ville Husso & Kliim Kostin he logical call ups )

I do not think Dunn will cost $5 mill... 

Steen's buyout cap hit is 3.4M followed by 1.2M a year later.   

The buyout cap hit is cap less salary savings.  The lower the salary still owed, the lower the salary savings and therefore the higher the buyout cap hit.  It would have been too convenient for teams to tag on lower salaries at the end of contracts to artificially lower the cap, and then simply buyout the contract.  This way there's no real advantage to front load deals.

St Louis already signed Schenn, Scandella and Faulk to contract extensions for next season for a combined increase of 5M.

The Blues have a bonus carry-over of 720K per CapFriendly - it's not yet accounted for on their website.   They show 6.4M in cap space with 20 players under contract and includes injured prospect Foley.  Take out the bonus overage, remove Foley, buyout Steen, add Husso (he will be waiver eligible) and it leaves them about 8.3M with 20 players under contract.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

The buyout cap hit is cap less salary savings.  The lower the salary still owed, the lower the salary savings and therefore the higher the buyout cap hit.  It would have been too convenient for teams to tag on lower cap hits at the end of contracts to artificially lower the cap, and then simply buyout the contract.  This way there's no real advantage to front load deals.

St Louis already signed Schenn, Scandella and Faulk to contract extensions for next season for a combined increase of 5M.

The Blues have a bonus carry-over of 720M per CapFriendly - it's not yet accounted for on their website.   They show 6.4M in cap space with 20 players under contract and includes injured prospect Foley.  Take out the bonus overage, remove Foley, buyout Steen and it leaves them about 9M with 19 players under contract.

They probably try to trade Bozak too then.

24 minutes ago, mll said:

The buyout cap hit is cap less salary savings.  The lower the salary still owed, the lower the salary savings and therefore the higher the buyout cap hit.  It would have been too convenient for teams to tag on lower cap hits at the end of contracts to artificially lower the cap, and then simply buyout the contract.  This way there's no real advantage to front load deals.

The Blues have a bonus carry-over of 720K per CapFriendly - it's not yet accounted for on their website.   They show 6.4M in cap space with 20 players under contract and includes injured prospect Foley.  Take out the bonus overage, remove Foley, buyout Steen, add Husso (he will be waiver eligible) and it leaves them about 8.3M with 20 players under contract.

You are correct about the $3.4 cap hit. Cheers for that,

I had already factored raises for Schenn, Scandella & Faulk,  And when I added Pietro, Dunn, Husso & Kostin. It actually covered 20 + those four = 24 players. Plus $425K in potential bonuses.  That is what CapF had...

The $2 mill mistake on what the buyout cost is 1/2 offset by that extra body. More or less.

Plus someone, usually 2 to 3 players are always injured.

It would still be sufficient. Not that it will play out that way...    

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You are correct about the $3.4 cap hit. Cheers for that,

I had already factored raises for Schenn, Scandella & Faulk,  And when I added Pietro, Dunn, Husso & Kostin. It actually covered 20 + those four = 24 players. Plus $425K in potential bonuses.  That is what CapF had...

The $2 mill mistake on what the buyout cost is 1/2 offset by that extra body. More or less.

Plus someone, usually 2 to 3 players are always injured.

It would still be sufficient. Not that it will play out that way...    

It's not potential bonuses but the bonuses of this season that are going to be carried over into next season and count against the cap.  CapFriendly has not yet included those numbers but have done the calculations - there's a separate thread on those overages in the section "around the NHL".  

Injured players count against the cap.  LTIR allows to exceed the cap up to the injured player's cap hit but does not allow to bank cap space - creates overages and makes it harder for teams to build an active roster up to the cap because of the recall limitations.  Can't bank cap space to add at the deadline either.  Although Tarasenko will be injured to start the season not sure the Blues will want to use LTIR because of all the limitations it creates.

Edited by mll

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

If Primeau shows he's ready they can also flip Allen at the deadline and get a solid return from a team with injury problems, depending on their position in the standings.  Price is their franchise but he's got to get some rest once in a while.

Totally - and as far as I know no one really knows if there will be expanded rosters + more flexibility in having 3 goalies on the roster.