The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver TO goalie swap

JM_

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

So to begin, my preference is for Jim to sign Marky. But if thats just not possible given the larger wallets of other teams I suggest this:

To Toronto: Stecher, rights to Marky, Lind 

To Vancouver: Andersson 

Toronto gets to have sole negotiating rights to Marky until free agency opens  so about 1 month to get a long term extension done. If they can't, they get a legit bottom pair RHD for their trouble who would likely take a nice lowball deal to stay in the league. Add to that TO gets a close to ready prospect, which matters a lot in the cap era. 

TO won't get a shot at a better goalie with a few years left in the tank. We get a great cost controlled tandem in Demko and Andersson and we expose Anderson to Seattle, and we can extend hm for 1 year to make him eligible. 

In order to make this happen we let Markys agent speak with TO to let them establish the terms of his extension. 

I would decline this from a Canucks standpoint.    I would do this if Andersson had a 3 million dollar cap hit, but I don’t think Andersson would be thrilled about the idea of coming here and taking a backseat to Demko.   If the Canucks move on from Markstrom, it will be because they see Demko being our number one and would expect him to start next season playing atleast 65-70% of games to break him in as a top guy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

So to begin, my preference is for Jim to sign Marky. But if thats just not possible given the larger wallets of other teams I suggest this:

Toronto gets to have sole negotiating rights to Marky until free agency opens  so about 1 month to get a long term extension done. If they can't, they get a legit bottom pair RHD for their trouble who would likely take a nice lowball deal to stay in the league. Add to that TO gets a close to ready prospect, which matters a lot in the cap era. 

TO won't get a shot at a better goalie with a few years left in the tank. We get a great cost controlled tandem in Demko and Andersson and we expose Anderson to Seattle, and we can extend hm for 1 year to make him eligible. 

In order to make this happen we let Markys agent speak with TO to let them establish the terms of his extension. 

It's a good idea in theory but the issue is Stecher would have to be qualified at a number I don't think Toronto would want to pay so basically they could trade Andersen and have Stecher and Marky both walk... I can't see them trading Andersen, who I personally do not believe is their issue at all, for Lind... If that is all Andersen cost to give Demko a transition year... I would be all over it. That is really the perfect scenario. If for some reason he faltered next year you could re-sign Andersen.

Edited by peaches5
  • Cheers 1

I don't see this as necessarily a bad idea - esp. with still a month or more to go until UFA signings open up. However, I think Toronto would need some semblance of knowledge that Marky Mark would sign there- I don't see any connection to the team, and it may be a pretty big risk to give up Andersen for, an asset that they could probably flip for a 2nd pick and decent prospect, at the very least, and then sign a UFA goalie.

Both of Toronto's RHD are UFA's at year's end, both with good chances of walking, so I could see Stecher having value to them. I really really like Stecher, and get the sense he really wants to bring the cup to his hometown, but he also seems like the most logical link on the back-end to improve on this off-season (he's not ready for Tanev minutes- Hughes, Edler, Myers are not going anywhere), and the Canucks do need to do that (hope Benning finds another way!).

From a Canucks standpoint I'd rather see a conditional pick (if Markstrom re-signs we don't give it up) than Lind but for sure we have to give to get.

Also...count on Dubas to make a goalie who had a 1.8 GAA and 93.6 SVP the scapegoat of the "playoffs"...

Lastly- I think COVID makes Markstrom's contract extremely hard to predict, and I think there's a decent chance Benning & Co. will get him on decent terms. He's a big part of the culture and this team, and like you said, I think the preference is to get him signed.

I think this feels relatively balanced tho which is a lot to say for this subsection of the forum ^_^

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Robert Long said:

Never do that...Trade his rights is okay--- Team might give up a 2nd rounder or young prospect...

But to take Andersen back is whole point of movie Markstrom to save money?????give up Lind and Stetcher, never bad trade....

Trade Markstroms rights to Hurricaines  or Buffalo -- Try and get a 3rd rounder back..Then sign veteran goalie to play 30 games under 2.5 million.

Demko plays 52 games or even less game in 2020 -21 season?

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Robert Long said:

but thats my point, TO would get early access to the best UFA on the market in Marky. 

For us, we could fit all of Andersson, Tanev and Toffoli on our current cap situation. With Marky we have to chose one of TT or Tanev. I hank we'd be a stronger team over all with the 3 players vs 2. 

We need to address a top # 3 D man we will not have extra cap space----Moving Markstrom saves money  5.5 X 4 yrs

Backup sign for 2.5 --- Save 3 million very big with tight cap and other positions to look after like a solid D man to play with Hughes...

3 hours ago, BPA said:

So we end up trading Stecher + Lind for 1yr of Anderson, only to go back to Domingue??

If your reasoning that Anderson would accept 5M x 1yr cuz Covid-19, then why not use that reasoning for Marky?

Sign Marky for $5M x 2yr???  He should be happy to get that as well shouldn't he?

Sorry.  Can't see how the deal favors Canucks at all.

Stecher and Lind is fair value for Andersson. 

Like I said at the beginning, my preference is to keep Marky. If he was willing to do 5x2 that would be awesome. 

But if he wants over 6 mil and/or 4 or 5 years thats too expensive for us, so we should look at moving him for a good situation in return. 

Edited by Robert Long

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Just sign a vet UFA goalie instead of gifting Toronto a solid prospect and what would be their second best defensemen after Muzzin.

you do it for the cap certainty. If we have our goalie situation locked down early at a good price then the other decisions are a lot easier to make. If we wait to compete for a UFA goalie that might be too expensive and or much lesser quality. 

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Be better off making this kind of deal with the Canes. TO & Canucks are too similar in held assets/deficiencies.

Van: Jacob, Jake V, farm piece

Canes: Riemer, Fleury/Bean, a 2nd rounder(if JM signs)

I like that one too, actually. 

I see there being a lot of value in getting something like this done early. Denko-Reimer isn't as good as Demko-Anderson but I sure like the idea of getting Bean in the deal. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I would decline this from a Canucks standpoint.    I would do this if Andersson had a 3 million dollar cap hit, but I don’t think Andersson would be thrilled about the idea of coming here and taking a backseat to Demko.   If the Canucks move on from Markstrom, it will be because they see Demko being our number one and would expect him to start next season playing atleast 65-70% of games to break him in as a top guy.

hard to say, I could see them liking the idea of a two goalie system. Its nice to have two guys you can rely on, particularly in the playoffs as we've seen. I see them as more of a 41 game each type of situation. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

you do it for the cap certainty. If we have our goalie situation locked down early at a good price then the other decisions are a lot easier to make. If we wait to compete for a UFA goalie that might be too expensive and or much lesser quality. 

There should be someone at least capable of being a 1B available at a reasonable price.  Toronto currently has one NHL defenseman; we should be taking them to the cleaners as they desperately need blueliners who are capable of playing defense.  Take Lind out and add a draft pick coming our way back and I'd consider it.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

There should be someone at least capable of being a 1B available at a reasonable price.  Toronto currently has one NHL defenseman; we should be taking them to the cleaners as they desperately need blueliners who are capable of playing defense.  Take Lind out and add a draft pick coming our way back and I'd consider it.

thats fair, I'm maybe seeing Lind as too expendable.  I'm also just thinking Toronto as they're the most likely to throw the most money and term at Marky. Dubie has 1 more year imo to get past the 1st round or he's done. 

5 hours ago, Robert Long said:

But why add Lind?  That's a lot of potential being just casually thrown out.  He hasn't done it yet, but a lot of comparisons are being made ro Corey Perry, and if that's the typr of player he turns out to be, it's a hell of a sweetener for a goalie swap just to give us cost certainty

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

No thank you. Just keep Marky/Demko. Let Seattle take the one we don't protect. Which is likely Marky, if they even find value in taking a 31 year old goalie.

Sounds easy, but if Markstrom insists on expansion draft protection, and Benning won't give it to him, then I'd think Jacob walks for more money, term and security. But if he does sign without protection, I would leave him unprotected and protect Demko.

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

But why add Lind?  That's a lot of potential being just casually thrown out.  He hasn't done it yet, but a lot of comparisons are being made ro Corey Perry, and if that's the typr of player he turns out to be, it's a hell of a sweetener for a goalie swap just to give us cost certainty

imo he's behind Podkolzin... but maybe thats too much to give up. TO might be happy with a lesser piece back. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

No thank you. Just keep Marky/Demko. Let Seattle take the one we don't protect. Which is likely Marky, if they even find value in taking a 31 year old goalie.

the premise here is Mark is too expensive for us. What to do then? 

9 hours ago, wildcam said:

Never do that...Trade his rights is okay--- Team might give up a 2nd rounder or young prospect...

But to take Andersen back is whole point of movie Markstrom to save money?????give up Lind and Stetcher, never bad trade....

Trade Markstroms rights to Hurricaines  or Buffalo -- Try and get a 3rd rounder back..Then sign veteran goalie to play 30 games under 2.5 million.

Demko plays 52 games or even less game in 2020 -21 season?

My idea on trading Markstrom is along the lines of 

Markstrom's rights to Buffalo

for a 5th and a conditional 2nd if he signs

Yes, Buffalo could wait, but

I don't think Buffalo gets him if he talks to other teams first

I think Buffalo knows that and will pay the 5th as a cost of talking to him first

If he signs..............they would gladly pay the conditional 2nd

• Cheers 1