The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eight-Minute Insights: The 2020-21 KHL season just started. Here's a look at Vasily Podkolzin's entire performance in SKA's season opener (vs Neftekhimik, Sep. 4, 2020). Look for #92 in white. - @CambieKev on Twitter

Rate this topic

TrickOfShapes

Could Podkolzin AND Tryamkin return to the NHL whenever their seasons end?  

I'm just wondering,

Would it be possible for both Podkolzin and Tryamkin to sign with Vancouver once their seasons end in Russia?   

That really would be something if BOTH Podkolzin and Tryamkin signed with Vancouver in April as we got geared up for a possible playoff return.   

p.s.___________Pod looks great!       

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Could Podkolzin AND Tryamkin return to the NHL whenever their seasons end?  

I'm just wondering,

Would it be possible for both Podkolzin and Tryamkin to sign with Vancouver once their seasons end in Russia?   

That really would be something if BOTH Podkolzin and Tryamkin signed with Vancouver in April as we got geared up for a possible playoff return.   

p.s.___________Pod looks great!       

Sorry, I don’t want to get too far off topic here, but I’m just trying to guage/project as to how far the Canucks could go in the playoffs next season if both Podkolzin and Tryamkin returned before the playoffs next season.    Most people will agree that a lack of depth and a lack of PMD’s on the back-end were our two biggest shortcomings in this off season.    What if the additions of Juolevi, Podkolzin, and Tryamkin addressed all that heading into next year’s playoffs?   Is it a realistic projection?

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Roussel-Gaudette-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hoglander?

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Tryamkin

Benn

Demko

VetBackUp

(I won’t go into detail with regards to how we create cap space to afford the above but basically, we’d walk from Stecher, Markstrom, Leivo, and Fantenberg, while trading Baertschi at 50% retention.  Virtanen gets moved for a 2020 1st using Kasperi Kapanen as a comparable, while Sutter is moved with a 2021 1st as a sweetener.  LTIR for Ferland.  Eriksson to the minors.

Assuming that all of the above can happen, I’m just wondering if the above line up with Podkolzin and Tryamkin returning makes us a deadlier playoff opponent for next season?   How far is Hoglander from being an NHL player?  Some people say he’s really close.

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Sorry, I don’t want to get too far off topic here, but I’m just trying to guage/project as to how far the Canucks could go in the playoffs next season if both Podkolzin and Tryamkin returned before the playoffs next season.    Most people will agree that a lack of depth and a lack of PMD’s on the back-end were our two biggest shortcomings in this off season.    What if the additions of Juolevi, Podkolzin, and Tryamkin addressed all that heading into next year’s playoffs?   Is it a realistic projection?

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Roussel-Gaudette-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hoglander?

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Tryamkin

Benn

Demko

VetBackUp

(I won’t go into detail with regards to how we create cap space to afford the above but basically, we’d walk from Stecher, Markstrom, Leivo, and Fantenberg, while trading Baertschi at 50% retention.  Virtanen gets moved for a 2020 1st using Kasperi Kapanen as a comparable, while Sutter is moved with a 2021 1st as a sweetener.  LTIR for Ferland.  Eriksson to the minors.

Assuming that all of the above can happen, I’m just wondering if the above line up with Podkolzin and Tryamkin returning makes us a deadlier playoff opponent for next season?   How far is Hoglander from being an NHL player?  Some people say he’s really close.

He never put up big number in Sweden?  Had a good world U20 Tourney....

Don't think he will make Canucks team maybe 2 yrs in Utica...NHL is way better league then SHL.....

Hoglander,  5'8, 180lbs

2018-19-- 50 GP -- 14 points

2019-20 - 41GP --  16 PTS

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, wildcam said:

He never put up big number in Sweden?  Had a good world U20 Tourney....

Don't think he will make Canucks team maybe 2 yrs in Utica...NHL is way better league then SHL.....

Hoglander,  5'8, 180lbs

2018-19-- 50 GP -- 14 points

2019-20 - 41GP --  16 PTS

The SHL is widely considered the third best league in the world after the KHL...and ahead of the AHL.   I’d leave him in the SHL until he’s ready to play here given Covid ...

As an aside - maybe as a cautionary tale not to put too much expectations on these guys, Linden Vey scored 48 points in 52 KHL games last year ... yes that Vey. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Source?  Trying to find where he’s listed more then 6’1”...

https://en.khl.ru/players/30659/

Says he’s 192cm which is 75.5906 inches . 6’3 roughly....6’.29921666667 approximately 

He’s also listed as 92kg in weight which is 202.825 pounds.

height 192cm

weight 92kg

Jersey number #92

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Says he’s 192cm which is 75.5906 inches . 6’3 roughly....6’.29921666667 approximately 

height 192cm

weight 92kg

Jersey number #92

That’s great to see.   Means he’s grown two inches and added ten pounds - we need size like that in our middle six next year ... add that to his already excellent skating and skill-set, we can hope for good things coming late next year. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HockeyHarry said:

height 192cm

weight 92kg

Jersey number #92

Yeah, unfortunately we all know that Russian cm are all juiced...in reality it's only 185 cm in North America :lol:

Joking aside, that's great to see.  We can use his size and competitiveness.

• Cheers 1

If this is true (fact check pls), Podz is 6' 4" tall and weighs 203 lbs.

Let that sink in; only 19 years 2 months old, and still growing compared to last year's numbers (6' 1" 190 lbs April 2019).

That's 3 inches and 13 pounds in just over a year and a half.

Will he get even bigger?  Stronger?

Vasily Podkolzin From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Vasily Podkolzin
Born 24 June 2001 (age 19)
Moscow, Russia
Height 6 ft 4 in (193 cm)
Weight 203 lb (92 kg; 14 st 7 lb)
Position Right wing
Shoots Left
KHL team SKA Saint Petersburg
NHL Draft 10th overall, 2019
Vancouver Canucks
Playing career 2018–present
  • Cheers 1

Definitely still a bit raw but he is still doing a lot of the little things right, and in some aspects, even better in comparison to last year. He's better off the puck, not putting himself into bad situations quite as much and he's still a hound and still will try taking it to the net. Looks more promising than last year but small sample size. 

Again, we should all lower our expectations. The kid won't be ultra dynamic offensively and put up a PPG pace, but he definitely will make for a hell of a third liner off the get go hopefully (which would be a huge hole we need filled on this team). 

I liked this pick from the get go, and the anticipation is killing me haha. Really wish he was given big minutes to see how he allocates his energy though. 

Edit: not a ppg pace from the get-go, just to be clear. He has the potential to get there, but he's lacking some IQ traits to be a consistent PPG kind of guy without a great cast around him. With guys like Petey, he could definitely get that way due to Petey's elite playmaking ability but on a second line with Bo I would never anticipate that happening from the start. He's great off the puck as he's always open to receiving the pass to make a play but with a smaller rink and tighter checking a lot of his raw talent will be mitigated by good defense. Open space is where this kid shines, but it's tough to come by in the NHL. 

Edited by MikeyD