The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Friedman] Canucks looking to “overhaul blue line” ...Ekblad & Cernak could be available

EP40.

With the OEL trade off and JB letting all our UFAs walk, I'm hoping some big trade is in the works because right now our defence is half rookie and we have a shakier goalie as well.

Unless JB makes a big move soon for one top 4 defenceman at the very least, this team is going to be back in that fringe playoff spot at best again.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Why not just sign Sergachev to a 6 year 6.5M deal.  Cost is a 1st and 3rd.  Future solved!

Without any sarcasm, I tell you WHY. Because Sergachev will never sign an offer sheet with Canucks. He is very happy at Tampa, many Russians players, core player for Tampa, they will take care of him. 

Edited by Pavel the Bure
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

With the OEL trade off and JB letting all our UFAs walk, I'm hoping some big trade is in the works because right now our defence is half rookie and we have a shakier goalie as well.

Unless JB makes a big move soon for one top 4 defenceman at the very least, this team is going to be back in that fringe playoff spot at best again.

I have to think the silence means there is something big brewing.  Once a team makes smaller signings/trades they are close to done.  We’ve barely gotten started so there are some moves being worked on.  JB nailed our goalie situation but there must be more coming.  Has to be...

Edited by Kobayashi Maru

1 hour ago, mll said:

Brisebois says he's not trading his 3 RFAs.  He explains that they will need them to win another Cup.  He's done a video call to Montreal media to explain it.  Tampa has 7 untouchables - these 3 included per MacKenzie.

He can say whatever he wants. How is he going to shed the $12 million in cap space he needs to sign all 3 RFA’s?  

Putting Johnson on waivers didn’t work. If he wants someone to take that contract he need to give up a first round pick minimum. How about the other guys like Palat, Gourde and Stamkos?  They all have NTC’s on top of their big salaries. Nobody is going to take any of these players unless Tampa dishes out picks and prospects. They could keep their 3 RFA’s but they will lose an entire draft class in order to re-sign them. 

I just wish a couple of GM’s would pull a Bergevin and actually have the balls to make an offer sheet. If somebody made an offer of $6 million over 6 years for Sergachev do you think Tampa matches?  These GM’a should hit all 3 of their RFA’s with offer sheets and see who blinks first. An offer sheet is perfectly legal. Too bad these GM’s all collude against doing so. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

The problem with giving up Boeser in any deal is that it makes us weak in the forward position. We don't have a glut of top 6 wingers.

Benning has definitely made some poor signings that are making things needlessly difficult, but the Luongo recapture penalty has really hamstrung us this year. The only team in the league significantly affected by it because Lu had the audacity to be honest and retire instead of making up a ficticious medical condition.

Yeah don’t trade Boeser, if Tof walks Jake has to step up big which I think he can, but Jake and —-? 

loui let us down.. big time. Could have just LTIR’d it for a year etc.. could use that $ right now. Our D situation looks a little spooky

On 9/19/2020 at 4:43 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Why in the blue hell would the Panthers want to get rid of Ekblad? I don't buy it.

I know.  Hard to believe.  The guy is everything you want in a number 1 dman, and still getting better.  Thats why if he is on the table, we need figure out a way to get him.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

TB GM can say that, 1 or 2 offer sheets later he will be screwed. If your team isn't in a cap issue I would say your team should offer sheet TB if they aren't willing to make a deal.

Rafferty and a 3rd round pick for Cernak...if TB balks, we can simply offer sheet, technically but dont see JB being that cerebral 

If we offer sheet Cernak at $4 million for 5 years it is only a second round pick we lose. Will Tampa match it?  Maybe. But what if somebody else offer sheets Sergachev or Cirelli?  Tampa couldn’t match all 3 as they only have just under $3 million in cap space and would have to have a fire sale to get rid of 2-3 forwards with high end contracts in order to keep all 3 RFA’s. 

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The problem is that we were a fringe playoff WITH all those guys.  We are an almost definite lottery team right now unless Demko can manage a whole season of .970 save percentage rather than just a 3 game stretch.

It is one thing to see what you have in your young players, but throwing them all on defence means you aren’t planning on winning much.

Maybe this season is just a write off and they are hoping it is cancelled or significantly shortened.  There is a chance to get some depth back, especially on defence during true expansion draft when teams can’t protect guys.

1 hour ago, Tetsuro88 said:

We should take Johnson + Cernak for Eriksson + Rafferty.

Basically cap dump for cap dump and a RHD to replace a RHD.

We get our middle-6 forward plus Top 4 D.

Sign Cernak to 2 x $3.5m (UFA 2024)

Miller Petterson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Johnson

MacEwen Sutter Gaudette

Motte Beagle Virtanen

Edler Myers

Hughes Cernak

Juolevi Benn

Holtby

Demko

We can't pair Edler with Myers.  Edler is almost 35 and slowing down.  He shouldnt be playing top tier minutes.   Myers is mobile for a big guy, but you need to pair him with someone even more mobile.  

Joulevi will be good down the road, but pairing him with Benn in his rookie year might end up killing his confidence. 

Johnson plays too small.. we have enough guys that play small.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Easily matched 

Not likely to be matched. This would put them over the salary cap by more than $3m with only 19 roster players signed.  To get Cirelli, Cernak and 2 more NHLers on the roster would put them $10m++++ over the cap.  The math does not lie.  By tendering an offer sheet, you force TAM to give up assets or dive further into salary cap hell.  I believe that an offer sheet significantly less than 6x 6.5m could not be matched.

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

The problem is that we were a fringe playoff WITH all those guys.  We are an almost definite lottery team right now unless Demko can manage a whole season of .970 save percentage rather than just a 3 game stretch.

It is one thing to see what you have in your young players, but throwing them all on defence means you aren’t planning on winning much.

Maybe this season is just a write off and they are hoping it is cancelled or significantly shortened.  There is a chance to get some depth back, especially on defence during true expansion draft when teams can’t protect guys.

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to call us a lottery team

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we offer sheet Cernak at $4 million for 5 years it is only a second round pick we lose. Will Tampa match it?  Maybe. But what if somebody else offer sheets Sergachev or Cirelli?  Tampa couldn’t match all 3 as they only have just under $3 million in cap space and would have to have a fire sale to get rid of 2-3 forwards with high end contracts in order to keep all 3 RFA’s. 

I think you have correctly assessed the clusterf**k that TAM find themselves in.  Offer sheets have not worked in the past because they always get matched.  But this year is different.  Pandemic economics have caused GMs to rethink how they do business.  TAM have no choice but to loose some serious talent.  The only questions are 1. Who do they loose them to and 2. What if anything can they recoup.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He can say whatever he wants. How is he going to shed the $12 million in cap space he needs to sign all 3 RFA’s?  

Putting Johnson on waivers didn’t work. If he wants someone to take that contract he need to give up a first round pick minimum. How about the other guys like Palat, Gourde and Stamkos?  They all have NTC’s on top of their big salaries. Nobody is going to take any of these players unless Tampa dishes out picks and prospects. They could keep their 3 RFA’s but they will lose an entire draft class in order to re-sign them. 

I just wish a couple of GM’s would pull a Bergevin and actually have the balls to make an offer sheet. If somebody made an offer of $6 million over 6 years for Sergachev do you think Tampa matches?  These GM’a should hit all 3 of their RFA’s with offer sheets and see who blinks first. An offer sheet is perfectly legal. Too bad these GM’s all collude against doing so. 

Because it's bad business practice you can really sour a personal relationship when you try to poach guys. See Kevin Lowe and Brian Burke as the most famous example in the last decade.

Also when has an offer sheet been worth it Thomas Vanek to EDM when they offer sheeted BUF?

33 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Better to take 1 step back VS signing older pending UFA's giving them NMC, rai$e$ and term that will only put the team in a bigger predicament long term. Ride the next 2 years of flat cap and bad contracts on team and really shake things up over the next 2 off seasons in my opinion

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I deal move is to find a way to bring in Vatanen. Smart 2-way defenseman who can play top 4 minutes. He is also Finnish, which will be a good mentor for Juolevi. Promote Rafferty and see if he ready for the #6 role. This current defense needs atleast 1 more veteran top 4 defenseman. At most we can ice 2 rookies in Juolevi and Rafferty.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Provost said:

First off season in what feels like forever we are being smart about things and to NO surprise to me CDC seems to think we are making poor decisions. This is what was needed to be done, find some cheap 1yr options maybe later in FA and look to take advantage of a team like TB who are in some cap trouble.

Sit back and just wait things out, flat cap means 99% of players are going to be making less and teams aren't willing to take on BAD contracts without severe over payment or a team like TO dumping a youngish scoring W to create some cap flexibility

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I deal move is to find a way to bring in Vatanen. Smart 2-way defenseman who can play top 4 minutes. He is also Finnish, which will be a good mentor for Juolevi. Promote Rafferty and see if he ready for the #6 role. This current defense needs atleast 1 more veteran top 4 defenseman. At most we can ice 2 rookies in Juolevi and Rafferty.

1yr 2-3m is what I would offer Vatanen. He could fit well beside Edler and help offensively, no idea how good he is defensively or if he ever kills penalties....not the biggest guy but size isn't the determining factor its about positioning and having the coaches trust

18 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Because it's bad business practice you can really sour a personal relationship when you try to poach guys. See Kevin Lowe and Brian Burke as the most famous example in the last decade.

Also when has an offer sheet been worth it Thomas Vanek to EDM when they offer sheeted BUF?

In previous years I would agree, but this year is different.  Given the hole that TAM are in, they might actually WANT teams to offer sheet their RFAs.  That way they can recoup something without taking on more salary cap.  It sounds crazy I know, but the days of Burke and Lowe facing off in a barn to fight are over.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Maybe a mini - tank next season, to be in a better spot to grab Luke Hughes at the draft?

• Huggy Bear 1