The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jackson Kunz | LW

GoldenAlien

I haven't seen a recap of his season anywhere in the thread, so here it is...  

50 games played (that's a lot more development time this year compared to a lot of kids that played in the OHL and WHL for example) 

23 goals 

20 assists 

43 points 

A staggering +29 in only 50 games 

That was tied for fourth on team scoring (the other four players were 20 years old, Jackson is still 18). 

He was 10th in the USHL in scoring.  

Given his age (just missed the cutoff for the 2021 draft), and also comparing his basic stats to 2021 draft eligible players (Corronato, Cole Sillinger, Ayrton Martino and Josh Doan) ...  I believe that Jackson Kunz would be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round of the 2021 draft if he were a month younger. 

I'm cautiously optimistic about his Freshman season coming up in NCAA.  

He’s got a massive frame that isn’t done growing, a heavy and accurate shot and understands the role of playing a power forwards game. If he can get quicker and add some agility he has the potential to be an absolute steal and legitimate player for us. I’m excited to see his development over the next few years. I see him similar to McDonough, if their skating takes the next step and catches up to the rest of their games they can be very effective players in the future 

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2021 at 8:31 PM, Googlie said:

Ah the good old days .......

image.png.96d85406c11eebbc463876cfaf1f9cc9.png

I remember seeing that first parachute skating clip on TV (maybe the old VU13 channel) and being more excited for a player who’d never touched NHL ice than I’d even been before in my life.

EDIT: The whole thing was gimmicky AF and a bit of a media stunt, but at the time, it seemed like the coolest thing ever. :lol:

EDIT2: Not that I’m knocking Bure, or any of the crazy training regimen he used back in the day, especially when working with his father. Vladimir Bure had some odd methods at times, but he was also pretty innovative for his day, and you can’t argue with the results he got with his son.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I remember seeing that first parachute skating clip on TV (maybe the old VU13 channel) and being more excited for a player who’d never touched NHL ice than I’d even been before in my life.

EDIT: The whole thing was gimmicky AF and a bit of a media stunt, but at the time, it seemed like the coolest thing ever. :lol:

If you watched Bure’s upper body kind of bend back and then snap forward when he pulled through the hooks as he skated by defenders, you’d know why he pulled around a parachute - so that he had 5he leverage and body position to pull through resistance. There are some current players on the Canucks That would find value in the same training... not mentioning any names... but it ends ‘ettersson. Hoglander and Skriko were Scandinavians who did similar things. Skriko would be checked against the boards and then squeeze through... not bad for a guy 5’10 172.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

1 assist in two games so far for Jackson Kunz.  

He's a freshman at University of North Dakota in NCAA this year.  

Doesn't look like he's playing very high up the lineup out of the gate.  Minor for elbowing thrown in there as well :canucks:

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

1 assist in two games so far for Jackson Kunz.  

He's a freshman at University of North Dakota in NCAA this year.  

Doesn't look like he's playing very high up the lineup out of the gate.  Minor for elbowing thrown in there as well :canucks:

Yeah, looks like he’s starting out as their fourth line LW.

18 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I hope he's attending all his classes, if I know any thing about NCAA hockey  it's primarily a 2 line game, primarily seniors. He can work his way up and I hope he does

His first two games in the NCAA.  He lost a year last year because of Covid.  

19 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I hope he's attending all his classes, if I know any thing about NCAA hockey  it's primarily a 2 line game, primarily seniors. He can work his way up and I hope he does

My nephew plays for Clarkson university and you arent wrong. Seniors and NHl draft picks get all the playing time.

3 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

My nephew plays for Clarkson university and you arent wrong. Seniors and NHl draft picks get all the playing time.

IMO sort of discouraging for many. One of the exceptions is N'Eastern who Brackett had close ties. It's a tough road for student athletes so they best get a good education as very least

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

IMO sort of discouraging for many. One of the exceptions is N'Eastern who Brackett had close ties. It's a tough road for student athletes so they best get a good education as very least

He almost made a decision to come home and try to get on a Canadian uni team but his parents talked him into sticking around for another semester at least. There are like 7 NHL draft picks on his team.

8 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

He almost made a decision to come home and try to get on a Canadian uni team but his parents talked him into sticking around for another semester at least. There are like 7 NHL draft picks on his team.

He can transfer at the end of the semester ( I believe to another Uni if they agree to carry his scholarship )

11 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

That’s how he ended up there. University of Alaska shut down due to COVID and he got transferred. 

I'm always impressed by the mental strength of these kids. How they persevere is a testimant to their courage. away from home and friends  lots of study and travel. It's important they keep their studies up and graduate, Clarkson is a good school