The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jackson Kunz | LW

GoldenAlien

4 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

On a more serious note, is he not going to UND until 2021-2022?? 

Not too unusual, given his age (August Bday) and his coming out of HS/Prep. A year of USHL before college should be a good development path.

EDIT: not to mention that college is probably the most sensitive league to COVID-19 concerns and uncertainty with some schools as to whether or not they'll even play sports. IIRC, the USHL has already announced a full 2020-21 schedule.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

On a more serious note, is he not going to UND until 2021-2022?? 

As far as I know USHL is not affected in terms of shut down, they are initiating practices as such.  The uncertainty of the NCAA due to covid, makes sense for him to go to the USHL to get reps in.

Not uncommon for some prospects to stay a year behind in the USHL or high school hockey (like Jack Rathbone) before making the leap into college ranks.

Kunz is a Vancouver fan too - his media availability he said he is from North Dakota and a big fan of Boeser and Stecher.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

I don't think we will have to worry about these two college kids going 4 years. They seem genuinely happy to be drafted by us, raving about our players, saying they live close to Motte, was a fan of us because of a player they marveled, etc.

It's definitely a nice bonus that they want to be here.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Anyway, can't complain about drafting a big kid out of the Minnesota HS/Prep system who tore up that level scoring nearly a goal per game. The little info I am seeing on him is largely positive. Gonna trust out scouts unearthed a diamond here.

If he can figure out his skating, they probably have.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

If he can figure out his skating, they probably have.

In today’s game, skating, while incredibly important, is actually considered one of the easier flaws to fix. And apparently Kunz has already made significant improvements over the past year. He’s very young, and headed down a development path (USHL and then a top college program) that should afford him plenty of opportunities to improve his skating.

EDIT: One positive thing I’ve seen written behind some of the paywalls is actually some praise for Kunz’s edge work and shiftiness for a big man. Definitely there are concerns around his skating, but these seem more to do with his simple, straight line speed and acceleration. He’s not able to catch up on the back check when he’s caught deep. There’s some degradation in his stride when he covers longer distances. And possibly some simple conditioning and fatigue issues. While I can’t say I’ve seen his games, these issues (while definitely needing improvement) don’t seem overly serious. Skating specific coaching and focused physical training should be able to correct them, assuming Kunz has the mental makeup to put in the work. Also, he’s a young kid from a high school level program, so he probably hasn’t had a good skating coach yet. And he’s also a huge kid who scores 50 goals a season, so I doubt his coaches have been beating him over the head about his skating issues. That kind of tough love will likely come when he becomes a full time USHL player, and even more so when he joins the college ranks. He’ll also have access to the coaching and training he needs to address these issues and I’d expect his skating will improve significantly.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1