The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is there an obvious generational talent at the top of this draft?  I don’t think so.  To me this draft, much like the last two, can provide really important players anywhere through 15.  We just need to draft, like Petey, Quinn, and Pods, the right guy.  Imo that’s one of Cuelemans or Morrow.  

As opposed to most drafts, which are filled with obvious generational talents...

In no particular order, I like: Eklund, Beniers, Clarke, and Guenther. (Also Power but I have questions). @HighOnHockey I'd be really curious to get your opinion on my thoughts here, as I've not watched these prospects much at all. 

For me Beniers stood out more at the WJHC than Zegras or Turcotte. Seemed to have a great combination of high end skill & speed, w/ a high motor & two-way ability. Just seems like an overall great player that drives play w/ a 200ft game. Maybe something like Dylan Larkin?

Clarke seems like the dynamic RHD we've needed. I do have questions about his 'defensive game' (maybe more so his willingness to take chances rather than a lack of understanding/ability in the Dzone). Is he viewed more as an OFD first that takes chances, or as an overall high IQ player w/ offensive skill? (if that makes sense). 

Eklund seems like a high IQ forward with high skill, not a burner skating-wise or off the chart elite talent offensively. But very smart and should be at worst a solid top 6 guy. Getting Elias Lindholm vibes here (who's a very good player). Considering the strength of this draft, I don't think adding a guy you'd consider a legitimately good top 6 player bad - even if your not swinging for the fences. But maybe I'm wrong and his upside is sky high?

Guenther; Just seems like a heart and soul winger with scoring ability and jam. Something like Dylan Cozens or what Jake Virtanen should've been. A guy with size that can help drive play and score. Feels like one of the "safer" prospects that you have a really good feeling about being a good player. A legit top 6 winger that brings some different elements. Can't complain about that.

Lastly Power, I love the tools like everyone else. I do wonder how much that drives him being #1 versus overall upside? Does he have legit top pair/poor Hedman upside (and not unlikely to hit it) or are we more caught drooling over the size+skating here?

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

In no particular order, I like: Eklund, Beniers, Clarke, and Guenther. (Also Power but I have questions). @HighOnHockey I'd be really curious to get your opinion on my thoughts here, as I've not watched these prospects much at all. 

For me Beniers stood out more at the WJHC than Zegras or Turcotte. Seemed to have a great combination of high end skill & speed, w/ a high motor & two-way ability. Just seems like an overall great player that drives play w/ a 200ft game. Maybe something like Dylan Larkin?

Clarke seems like the dynamic RHD we've needed. I do have questions about his 'defensive game' (maybe more so his willingness to take chances rather than a lack of understanding/ability in the Dzone). Is he viewed more as an OFD first that takes chances, or as an overall high IQ player w/ offensive skill? (if that makes sense). 

Eklund seems like a high IQ forward with high skill, not a burner skating-wise or off the chart elite talent offensively. But very smart and should be at worst a solid top 6 guy. Getting Elias Lindholm vibes here (who's a very good player). Considering the strength of this draft, I don't think adding a guy you'd consider a legitimately good top 6 player bad - even if your not swinging for the fences. But maybe I'm wrong and his upside is sky high?

Guenther; Just seems like a heart and soul winger with scoring ability and jam. Something like Dylan Cozens or what Jake Virtanen should've been. A guy with size that can help drive play and score. Feels like one of the "safer" prospects that you have a really good feeling about being a good player. A legit top 6 winger that brings some different elements. Can't complain about that.

Lastly Power, I love the tools like everyone else. I do wonder how much that drives him being #1 versus overall upside? Does he have legit top pair/poor Hedman upside (and not unlikely to hit it) or are we more caught drooling over the size+skating here?

Power is just great at everything but not super elite at anything. He doesn't have many inconsistencies in his game. How he pans out will be determined on how his game matures but he's definitely the safest pick in the draft.

Guenther would be a good fit. Size/Speed and a ton of skill. Our roster could use another RH winger in the top 6 and definitely another dynamic offensive player.

Clarke is like Hughes. Both players have a great offensive skill set. Both players need to work on the defensive side on the game but Clarke has made strides with that playing pro in Europe.

Beniers I would pick up no problem if all the D are gone. Dude could end up as a Toews/Bergeron type player. He's the only C I would draft with our 1st.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Power is just great at everything but not super elite at anything. He doesn't have many inconsistencies in his game. How he pans out will be determined on how his game matures but he's definitely the safest pick in the draft.

Guenther would be a good fit. Size/Speed and a ton of skill. Our roster could use another RH winger in the top 6 and definitely another dynamic offensive player.

Clarke is like Hughes. Both players have a great offensive skill set. Both players need to work on the defensive side on the game but Clarke has made strides with that playing pro in Europe.

Beniers I would pick up no problem if all the D are gone. Dude could end up as a Toews/Bergeron type player. He's the only C I would draft with our 1st.

Wut about Kent Johnson? Just curious of your take

14 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Based on this I would have Clarke #4 amongst these players. 

Power being a safe T4D at 6'6 w/ his skating ability is hard to pass on, Guenther would be a wonderful addition with his skillset, and Beniers could drive our 3rd line at the beginning of his career, and I'm sure could play wing from there. Love his direct game and skating ability.

If we won the #1 pick I'd be tempted to trade down to 4th or 5th and add assets. I think this a year where the best player could be anywhere in the top 5 ala 2017. 

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

REALLY :O Zegras absolutely DOMINATED that tournament :O 

I did see some ppl say have Petey as #1C, Beniers as #2C and Horvat as #3C. Thats pretty deep. 

Just now, DontMessMe said:

REALLY :O Zegras absolutely DOMINATED that tournament :O 

I did see some ppl say have Petey as #1C, Beniers as #2C and Horvat as #3C. Thats pretty deep. 

Offensively sure but Beniers was all over the place. Admittedly I wasn't as high on Zegras last year - but yes in the WJ I came away more impressed with Beniers motor & overall ability than Zegras flash. 

Beniers feels like a Larkin type to me, or maybe Toews light, or Couture but a better skater, something like that anyways - you get the idea. TWF with elite motor and legit top 6 skill. Also a great skater both in elusiveness and speed. The kind of guy you want on your team in the playoffs.

And C's are generally the most versatile players, he'll play both special teams units & I'm sure he could play wing to get more minutes. 

As a young player breaking in he could be a great 3C, then go from there. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Power being a safe T4D at 6'6 w/ his skating ability is hard to pass on, Guenther would be a wonderful addition with his skillset, and Beniers could drive our 3rd line at the beginning of his career, and I'm sure could play wing from there. Love his direct game and skating ability.

If we won the #1 pick I'd be tempted to trade down to 4th or 5th and add assets. I think this a year where the best player could be anywhere in the top 5 ala 2017. 

The way I look at Cs is that they'd have to be significantly better at C than Petey. There's a lot of guys like Eklund/Johnson who I can see being wingers when they make the jump. Beniers has a way better skill set at C.

The next 2 drafts after this one are gonna have a couple franchise level Cs though. Bedard/Wright are gonna be fantastic players.

I like a lot of the players in this top 10ish. There's not as much of a BPA this year compared to others. Only one I'd question not taking 1st overall is Power but not nearly as much as other drafts.

My soft top 5 is

Power

Clarke

Hughes

Beniers

Edvinsson

Best winger in the draft is Eklund with Guenther being a really close 2nd. I like Lysell too if we're outside the top 10.

Personally I wouldn't trade the 1st overall unless we are getting a lot. If Power pans out properly you'll maybe have a top 10 defenseman in the league.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Wut about Kent Johnson? Just curious of your take

I view him similar as Petey(same as Eklund. LW/C). Not sure either guy will truly pan out to a C though I think Johnson has a much better shot than Eklund. If they don't pan out as a C we'd be stuck with another LH winger. Personally the only C I would draft in the top 10 would be Beniers. I feel he'd be real good with what we have but Johnson i'd pick as my 2nd C if we had to choose one.

In terms of what Johnson brings to the table. He's a skilled offensive playmaker who isn't bad in his own zone. Great dynamic skater though he needs to fill out a bit to improve his balance. 2nd best C in the draft IMO. One of the most dynamic offensive players in this draft. One of the better players in transition. Some of the things he can do with the puck can just wow you. So much creativity. Best playmaker in the draft. Like Petey he will have to fill out his frame but he's got a lot of potential.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

One of Hughes, Clarke, Power please if we’re top 3 in the draft. If we drop ala Canuck fashion, Eklund, Guenther, Beniers would be fantastic options as well. Bring it on, draft lottery balls!

We will win the draft lottery. The fix is in lol and is the reason Benning and Aqua had no issues with the crap schedule after Covid. I kid of course but we deserve it as fans for what we have been through this season.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Freeridebc said:

If we go 0-5 where would that put us 4th?

buffalo, anaheim, seattle and nj are the bottom 4 we would be 5th. we could win one game and still sit 5th. 2 wins and we're 8th or 9th. columbus,detroit, sj and la would end up below us.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

We will win the draft lottery. The fix is in lol and is the reason Benning and Aqua had no issues with the crap schedule after Covid. I kid of course but we deserve it as fans for what we have been through this season.

you mean, after what the players went through?

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Offensively sure but Beniers was all over the place. Admittedly I wasn't as high on Zegras last year - but yes in the WJ I came away more impressed with Beniers motor & overall ability than Zegras flash. 

Beniers feels like a Larkin type to me, or maybe Toews light, or Couture but a better skater, something like that anyways - you get the idea. TWF with elite motor and legit top 6 skill. Also a great skater both in elusiveness and speed. The kind of guy you want on your team in the playoffs.

And C's are generally the most versatile players, he'll play both special teams units & I'm sure he could play wing to get more minutes. 

As a young player breaking in he could be a great 3C, then go from there. 

I agree, I think if Beniers is available where we pick (assuming we’re not in the top two), JB probably picks him. Seems like the kinda player he would take. I still have Clarke as my number 1 choice as I feel rhd is our greatest concern. 

39 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I agree with most of what others have said, except I have to disagree with Junkyard Dog's take on Brandt Clarke. He is an overall high IQ player w/ offensive skill. Yes, his skating and offensive abilities are exceptional and he loves to lead the rush, but he's also excellent in his own zone. Playing against men in a pretty good pro league exposed some weaknesses at times for sure, but overall he's more than held his own there. At U17s and U18s he was a force defensively. I mean it makes sense, when you have that kind of skating agility and technique, it is easier to control your gaps really well - think of Jake Sanderson from last year's draft, who wasn't as good as Mukhamadullin or Schneider among that class at zone defense, but was easily the best rush defender in the draft. Clarke isn't as powerful a straight ahead skater as Sanderson, but he's closer to Drysdale, Hughes, Makar, Heiskanen level of skating agility. Definitely a bit of a step down from those guys, but within that range, and he has the potential for size and strength that none of them have. And his overall hockey IQ is ridiculous. For one thing, with all the talk about what a high-risk offensive player he is, watch him in the offensive zone when he has a roughly 50-50 chance at a pinch attempt: he'll fall back almost every time. In the defensive zone, he is brilliant at stepping up on the puck carrier while remaining aware of potential passing options, and his stick positioning is impeccable. He has some lapses when it comes to body positioning down low and he could be more physical at times, although I've also seen him lay a few big hits. Not as good as Power defending the cycle, but so often he steps up and breaks up zone entries and transitions the puck before they ever get a chance to gain the zone. Clear number one pick in my eyes.

I mostly agree with you about Beniers at WJCs. I've talked about this a couple times now, but after having watched him here and there for a couple years, I'd often seen flashes of some dynamic offense, but World Juniors was the first time he seemed to put it all together consistently. After that performance I had him number two on my list, but that ranking comes with closer scrutiny, and the more I've watched him, the more I doubt his offensive upside. The problem with the Toews comparison is Beniers' hands aren't anywhere in that stratosphere. It is clear he has the hockey sense, the wherewithal and desire to recognize and make high-end skilled plays when they are available, but I now doubt he'll have the technical skills to execute them at the NHL level with such limited time and space. Regardless, he's a virtual lock to be at least a solid second line center. Larkin is a solid comparison.

Eklund may not be the fastest skater, but I believe he may be the best skating-agility forward in the draft. Just filthy edges, Kid loves his spinaramas. And he does this thing where he gets the puck beside or behind the net, opens up into a 10-2, and launches himself in a half-circle from behind to beside to the front of the net or vice versa. Pretty cool to watch. And check this out:

https://youtu.be/gBE_FGkaF2U?t=786

Doesn't end up connecting, but this sudden cut inside when his cover thinks he has him eliminated from the play is just a thing of beauty. The thing with Eklund is, it's not just that he doesn't look out of place in SHL at 18, he is already a legitimate offensive weapon there. With Eklund at 5'10 there is a bit of risk there, but in my opinion people are seriously underestimating his offensive upside. One source I hold in very high regard has Eklund ranked first overall.

I think you've hit it on the head with Guenther - safe pick, pro-style game. Offensively he's at his best one on one, where he can score goals shooting through defenders, beating them with his speed, or even deking. He's also dangerous on the left boards on the powerplay. As with Beniers, I don't think the technical skills will be particularly high-end at the NHL level, except for his shot. But he'll score goals in the NHL because of his hockey sense and nose for the net.

With Power I'm most impressed with his offensive and transition game. His puck skills aren't anything special, but he can really skate for a big man, and he protects the puck so well that once he gets going through the neutral zone it's really tough to knock him off the puck. Also when he gains possession in the defensive zone, he gives himself an extra second to survey his transition options by putting his body between forecheckers and the puck. He makes some pretty clever plays in the offensive zone. It's also worth noting that he's a pretty stocky kid. Most kids this age that are this tall are lanky, Power is already a solid 215, at least. He'll easily top out at 230, maybe 240. Whereas Clarke is better at defending the rush, Power is better defending in zone. Although his gap and stick are good, he pretty consistently gets beat to the outside and on retrievals by speedy forwards. But he's a force in front of his own net, not stepping up a lot, hanging back and holding the fort, keeping the crease clear, picking his spots well. He could definitely be more physical, as smaller forwards sometimes squeeze past him along the boards. As others have said, he's a safe pick to be a top four D, and likely NHL-ready next season, but the comparisons to Hedman, Weber, Pronger are pretty far-fetched.

@HighOnHockey, I am very high on that post. Very well done. Looking forward to the lottery with the hope we finally have some luck go our way.

I think I’m coming around to the idea of Clarke being our best case scenario.

23 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Sam Constantino”s most recent list

1. Owen Power 

2 Beniers

3 Clarke

4 Edvinsson 

5 Guenther

6 Johnson 

7 Eklund 

8 Hughes

9 Mctavish

10 Lucius

On 650 yesterday he said McTavish would be a good fit for the Canucks and a solid prospect ( They were talking about Centers though) 

I have a feeling Eklund could be the steal of the draft. Put up pretty good numbers in the SHL at a young age

I think that the players in the top 8 will be pretty accurate, maybe Wallstedt gets in there as well.  I'd be happy with any of the top 8 there for sure.

11 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'd say Clarke is pretty good all around, along the lines of a Duncan Keith.  Not one attribute, or play in a certain zone stands out, but is solid in all of them.  Not big, but does not play soft.

I think Beniers, Eklund and Guenther all have pretty high upside, I'd love to have any of them in our top 6.  

I don't think Power has anywhere near the ceiling of Hedman----I don't feel he will win multiple Norris trophies and have a HOF career.  I do think he can be a top pair D though.  He was very good at UM this season as a freshman.  If we take him, I'd hope he goes back to NCAA hockey for a year, as he still has a ton of room tp develop.

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If we won the lottery and could trade down to 5 or 6 and pick up a late 1st in doing so, I'd make that move without hesitation.  You would still get a similar calibre prospect with your top pick, and would add another very good prospect with your later 1st.  From 10-40 this is a real crapshoot year, with our drafting history, if we had 3 top 40 picks, I'd really like our chances of coming out of this draft in real good shape.