The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You trust JB to trade hughes OJ or rathbone?

Not at the moment but I do trust that Edler will be allowed to walk without him begging. Or, as may have happened, lowball a contract offer and say take it or leave it which has lead him to explore the open market

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

Not at the moment but I do trust that Edler will be allowed to walk without him begging. Or, as may have happened, lowball a contract offer and say take it or leave it which has lead him to explore the open market

I'm not going to spend more time on this. I doubt we draft him.

Got a feeling Jim makes the pick later today and doesn't trade it.

Sounds like there's a lot of interest for Schmidt. I suspect he'll be traded so Benning can get some cheap fill-ins for the season. I'm expecting the same type of season, although a hopefully healthy Pettersson. Jim says he would be aggressive, but I'm losing faith in that statement.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Anyone in particular you want to trade the pick for?

No one in particular. I want the team to progress and be where they were in the bubble. I do not like the idea of waiting for next year to make improvements. I would like it to be an established D man that will help for the next few years.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Great players can play their off side, and excellent.  The great Russian teams of the 70’s didn’t have any right shot players, except their goalies.  The Habs that won five Cups in the 70’s were led by all left shot D.  I think we want the best players, regardless of which way they shoot.  

Back then, all Russians shot lefty. I remember reading they were all taught that way.

To this day left handed shots in the NHL are far higher than left handed people in society. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Back then, all Russians shot lefty. I remember reading they were all taught that way.

To this day left handed shots in the NHL are far higher than left handed people in society. 

It can also be a product of starting them at a young age. When you're like three years old and right-hand dominant, your left hand is basically useless. So when little kids run around with a small hockey stick, they grip the top with their right hand so they can have some control over the stick, sealing their fate as a left-handed shot. 

• Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It’s kind of a strange thing, that so many NHL guys shoot left.  If Edvinson or Hughes is there at nine Benning has to take the guy, regardless of their shooting left.  I don’t think either will be though.  More likely for Clarke, who doesn’t skate as well as those two, to fall to us.  

(Funny that all field hockey players are forced to shoot right.)

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Down by the River said:

It can also be a product of starting them at a young age. When you're like three years old and right-hand dominant, your left hand is basically useless. So when little kids run around with a small hockey stick, they grip the top with their right hand so they can have some control over the stick, sealing their fate as a left-handed shot. 

Sure, howeve, I remember reading that Russians believed that the game was best played that way and would teach it as such. 

• Cheers 2

Xur's top picks (For the nucks only)

1 - Luke Hughes

2 - Owen Powers

3 - Matty Berniers

4 - Brandt Clark

5 - William Eklund

6 - Simon Edvinson

7 - David Guenther

8 - Kent Johnson

9 - Fabian Lysell

10 - Mason Mctavish

Honorable mentions - Walstadt, Lucius, Svechkov, Sillinger, Cossa.

Honestly, I am happy if one of those 15 are canucks tonight. Those guys will all be stars.

Edited by Xur

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s kind of a strange thing, that so many NHL guys shoot left.  If Edvinson or Hughes is there at nine Benning has to take the guy, regardless of their shooting left.  I don’t think either will be though.  More likely for Clarke, who doesn’t skate as well as those two, to fall to us.  

(Funny that all field hockey players are forced to shoot right.)

What I have seen about Clarke is not that he needs work on his skating it is that he has an odd knock kneed stride that puts a lot of pressure on his knees. 

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

What I have seen about Clarke is not that he needs work on his skating it is that he has an odd knock kneed stride that puts a lot of pressure on his knees. 

Heard some kind of draft guy on 650 this morning talking about how Clarke grew quite a bit over the last few years.  Guy said Clarke has skinny legs, and needs to get caught up with his growth.  If he falls to us, I’d be ecstatic.  

39 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

No one in particular. I want the team to progress and be where they were in the bubble. I do not like the idea of waiting for next year to make improvements. I would like it to be an established D man that will help for the next few years.

I get that. Hopefully last year was a fluke and not the bubble. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Makes sense. It’s weird, I shoot left, golf right, and switch hit in baseball, although my dad drilled that into me from an early age. 

• Cheers 1