The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Right now, I’m hoping things line up so that we could go 1st round: Brandt Clarke, 2nd round: Scott Morrow, and 3rd round: Jack Bar.

Nabbing 3 RHDs who are all 6’2”, 190+ lbs already, and each having NHL top-4 upside, would be a pretty successful draft.

And we’d still have five more picks to make in rounds 5-7.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah I remember us discussing this. It's funny, because I had the opposite first impression. I saw him at U17s, and you know how it is with those international tournaments, especially when it's your first viewing on most of the kids, you're trying to watch a little bit of everyone. And what I remembered seeing from Clarke was mainly just a really good two-way defenseman. Then I watched one of his very first games in Extraliga where he was just trying to find his his place and earn minutes, so he was still playing things pretty safe. So around the time you and I first started discussing the player, we had drastically different takes. This is why I always emphasize it is so, so important to watch prospects in as many different situations as possible. Mukhamadullin from last year's draft is the perfect example of this. I remember watching him as an underage defenseman at U18s, then Hlinkas, then WJAC, and I saw an elite pure stay-at-home shutdown defenseman. Then I started seeing media scouting services talk about him as an offensive defenseman, and people criticise him for making too many bad turnovers and such. And I was simply dumbfounded, because the player I saw so many times would flip the puck into an empty space in the neutral zone or off the glass before he would ever turn it over. But then I watched him in the MHL and I understood. As an underager playing for his country he was completely committed to a team concept and just fulfilling his role. But in the MHL where he was counted on to be "the guy", he was all over the place, trying to make all kinds of plays.

The story is a little different with Clarke, but in his first few games in Slovakia he was full-out benched a couple times early, to the tune of games of 3:28 and 10:52. So he knew he needed to buckle down and play the team system first, but on the other hand, he also knew he needed to put up numbers if he was going to be considered a first overall pick, so he had a bit of a line to juggle, and around that 10 game mark he was really forcing things. Anyways, what so amazed me, and cemented him as the top prospect of the draft in my eyes, was the way he so quickly was able to settle down and find that balance between being a reliable two-way pro defenseman, and then also being an gamebreaking puck-rusher.

Ya I guess it's really important to remember not to judge a player based on small sample size. You don't know what that players experiences are and you don't know where they are at mentally. After seeing him settle his game down and put my positional and defensive concerns away. The negs turned to positives for me he definitely has another gear and when the game is on the line and you're down by 1 he's got the X factor in spades. 

Fabian Lysell is another for me saw his stats and couldn't figure out why he was a top 15. I watched 1 game and was still scratching my head as to why he would be in discussion for our pick at all. But the more I watched the more I saw of a player relentlessly winning pucks all over the ice only to watch it die on his teammates stick. He is an absolute menace for the opposition and with skilled line mates his numbers would be astronomically different. He has now solidified himself in my top tier of this draft alongside Clarke, Beniers, Luke, Eklund. To me guys like Lysell, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Motte, Horvat these are the types of players that winners are built on.

• Like 1

Maybe we need Gallant as Head Coach with everyone wanting us to draft yet another LHD with our first selection...he plays players on their off side, Green not so much if he is retained as coach.

Looks like we won't be having the same coaching staff around tho, which imo is the best move for the organization going forward.

Really hoping we draft heavily at the RHD and C position, RW being 3rd most important

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Right now, I’m hoping things line up so that we could go 1st round: Brandt Clarke, 2nd round: Scott Morrow, and 3rd round: Jack Bar.

Nabbing 3 RHDs who are all 6’2”, 190+ lbs already, and each having NHL top-4 upside, would be a pretty successful draft.

And we’d still have five more picks to make in rounds 5-7.

I don’t know if we can get Clarke.  He’d have to fall to us (8-11) at our first pick.  I really like Morton too, but think he gets picked 15-25, so we would need to either take him with our first pick, or we don’t get him.  I think we will pick either Cuelemans or Morrow (8-11) with our first pick.  

9 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Luke Hughes doesn't have a strong enough defensive game like Edvinsson. Edvinsson would jive well with our other young swedes like Pettersson and Hoglander. Next year, we get a center or a winger high up in the draft. We get Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen and Luongo all off the books. Our only bad contracts left are Ferland and Myers. Part of drafting is planning where the player fits in long-term. We need to pick a defender and there's only one righty in the top 10. Chances are, we'll be getting a lefty and I'll pray that it isn't Lambos because he'll take years to develop like Juolevi did. 

My D ranking is:

Power

Edvinsson

L. Hughes

Clarke

Lambos 

We can't pick Luke just because he's Quinn's bro. Furthermore, New Jersey isn't going to trade one of their best players just because two of his brothers are on our team (I saw someone suggest this earlier. Not directing this at the quoted post.)

Did New York trade Marc Staal to Carolina for Jordan and Eric? Did NYI trade R. Strome to Arizona for Dylan? Did Buffalo trade Marcus Foligno to Columbus? Did the Blues trade Jordan Schmaltz to Chicago to play with brother Nick? Did the Sabres trade Alex Nylander to Toronto to play with William? Need I go on? 

9 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Yeah I think Edvinsson is comparable to a guy like Ristolainen 

Ummmm. I'm not sure what to make of any of this. First you seem to imply that Edvinsson has a strong defensive game. Edvinsson's defensive game is clearly the worst of any of the the top defensemen in this draft (Hughes, Clarke, Power, Edvinsson, Lambos, Ceuleman).

But then you compare Edvinsson to Ristolainen, an assessment that there actually seems to be a lot of wisdom behind. Big, strong, physical, great skater, highly skilled offensively, and notoriously horrendous defensively. It really is a great comparison, and I can't believe I hadn't though of it before.

I'm just not sure what to make of the other part, where you say Hughes doesn't have a strong defensive game like Edvinsson. Perhaps I misundertood, and you meant "Hughes, like Edvinsson, doesn't have a strong defensive game." But I disagree. From what I've seen I actually quite like Hughes defensive game, certainly much better than Edvinsson's.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t know if we can get Clarke.  He’d have to fall to us (8-11) at our first pick.  I really like Morton too, but think he gets picked 15-25, so we would need to either take him with our first pick, or we don’t get him.  I think we will pick either Cuelemans or Morrow (8-11) with our first pick.  

Morrow would be a total overdraft at that range plus ushs hockey doent have the best record at producing nhl talent

11 minutes ago, Isam said:

Morrow would be a total overdraft at that range plus ushs hockey doent have the best record at producing nhl talent

If we get lucky, and draft wisely, we could get Ceulemans in round one, and Morrow in round two.  That would be totally fantastic.  

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, R3aL said:

I’m not convinced with my internet knowledge and gut feeling on them.

if they the bpa when we pick and we take em awesome!

Craig has them very high in his list and Power seems to be as close to a consensus first as there is.

From what I’ve seen / read and gut feel I think Clarke is the best dman in the draft and I would take Hughes over edvinsson or power just because We basically know what Luke Hughes is going to be in 2/3 years.

I’m very convinced Luke Hughes is going to be a very good nhl dman and the idea of always having 1 of:

Q hughes

L hughes

rathbone  

sounds great to me. 

that's three very similar players on the left side.  Skilled, but soft.  No thanks

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we get lucky, and draft wisely, we could get Ceulemans in round one, and Morrow in round two.  That would be totally fantastic.  

What makes you think we should use a top ten on cuelmans? Given the small sample size that you watched.

2 minutes ago, Isam said:

Short sample size. Watch his play with brooks before you start saying elite lvl puck mover. 

I think lots of us have access to Ceuleman’s games.  He’s a kid, who was (still is) growing.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think lots of us have access to Ceuleman’s games.  He’s a kid, who was (still is) growing.  

Of course alf, but your analysis reaks of y2kcanucks and a few of the hfboards. Problem is, you are basing your analysis off of one tourney and would like us to use a pick on a rhd that has only had this one tourney on a team canada that was probably the best roster since 2013. You have to add his games with brooks and see why most scouting services dont have anywhere near the top.

1 hour ago, bruceybruce said:

I am very interested in hearing some of your opinions on an idea that is kicking around my head.

Say we end up with the 9th overall pick , would you consider trading it for Sam Reinhart if we could make the cap work in our favor.

He is a 25 year old center that would fit with our current age range of our best players and instantly make us better next year. He is from Van and wants to be traded to the west coast. We know what he is and what he brings as opposed  to the somewhat of a crapshoot this 2021 covid effected draft will be.

Yes easy. 

Would be shocked and amazed if the Canucks end up picking any higher than 8th after the lottery. 

With that being said the most realistic options potentially  still available look like Johnson,Lysell or Lucius.

Don't see the top 4 d prospects lasting very long even with Hughes coming off a season ending injury.

Beniers,Eklund, and Guenther should all go before the Canucks pick.

That hopefully then at minimum leaves the Canucks with a nice consolation prize just inside the top 10 picking between Kent Johnson and Fabian Lysell imo with Lucius injury history pushing him to the side.

In this scenario who are you taking and why?

I am personally leaning Johnson due to the heavy production having seen him have sucess on a very good Michigan team. He showcases his vision,  creativity and overall playmaker like skills. 

Lysell has more speed and a more mature well rounded game arguably despite not having much production just yet.

Size wise both are undersized. Johnson is taller with a little time to gain some strength at Michigan for another year.

The fact he is playing against 20 plus year olds and having success is a positive sign despite not having blazing speed or size. Shows he has great Hockey IQ that he can slow the game down and change speeds.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1