The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'd love to see the Canucks go all euro/US and give a big FU to the CHL at the draft.......unless you're in the top 3 and the choice is obvious, or a player can step right n and play in Van.  I get why the CHL fights to keep the 20 year old rule, but it does nothing but put their players at a disadvantage, imo.

I really like Svechkov, but being signed in Russia for 2 more years puts him into a similar category.

I do too, but its not like the towns where these teams play won't still have fans. I mean, what else is there to do in Peterborough on a Saturday night? 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

K well I've been looking over my list and realizing there's quite a few players I still need viewings or additional viewings on, so I'll just post my tentative top 15, with brief comments:

1. Brandt Clarke - Elite skating, all-around hockey sense. Like Jamie Drysdale last year, the thing that sets him apart is his ability to escape danger in his own zone. Regardless what kind of pressure he is under, he almost always finds a way out. Loves to join the cycle and lead the rush, but what many people miss is he's also really good at picking his spots and knowing when to fall back or dump it in. Only minor concern is his zone defense, where he can get a little lost trying to do too much.

2. Owen Power - His biggest strength is carrying the puck up the ice, where I see shades of Dustin Byfuglien. Not the greatest hands, but he uses his size and reach to protect the puck, and once he gets going its like trying to knock a steam engine off the tracks. Strong defending around his net, and can make plays in the offensive zone. Only concern for me is his ability to defend against speed.

3. William Eklund - Very high upside, and also looks like a relatively safe pick. He's already an offensive difference-maker in the 3rd best league in the world. Good work ethic, responsible with the puck, but most importantly he loves to make things happen offensively, and his dynamic skating makes him a threat at all times.

4. Matthew Beniers - The best two-way forward in the draft; his checking, tenacity in pursuit and second effort are NHL-ready. Basically everything he does in NCAA is going to carry over smoothly to the NHL. He's shown a dynamic offensive element at times throughout his young career, but I'm doubtful much of that will translate to the NHL due to limited technical skills.

5. Luke Hughes - He's at his best in the offensive zone, where his dynamic skating ability rivals Clarke's, but Hughes has better hands. He also defends well, at least at the USHL level, and carries the puck very well through the neutral zone. The main concern is handling the puck in his own zone under pressure, where he can make smooth escapes in open ice with his skating, but down low he tends to make bad reversals and throw it away to opponents along the boards.

6. Cole Sillinger - He's a swiss army knife and a coach's dream. Such a pro-style player: he's great along the boards and he's the best in the draft around the opponent's net, where he's an elite shot-tipper, creates chaos in the crease and shovels garbage like nobody's business. Excellent on the forecheck and backcheck, first forward on the ice for the PK, and on the PP he can be effective from any position; netfront, bumper, sideboards. He likely won't be best utilized on the point on an NHL powerplay, but for one of the worst teams in the USHL this year he was often needed there. His shot and deceptiveness are his best offensive attributes. Hands are good but not elite. Biggest concern is with his skating, but his hockey sense is high enough to alleviate much of that concern, a la Mark Stone or Luc Robataille. I see a lot of Joe Pavelski in him.

7. Dylan Guenther - Biggest strength is his one-on-ones, where he can deke, skate around guys, or shoot through them. He's also a dangerous shooting option from the left sideboards on the PP. He's also a good two-way forward. No real weaknesses, but as high-end as his skating and stick skills are at the junior level, I don't see them as elite in the NHL. Probably more of a complimentary top six than a line-driver, but he'll score goals due to his shot and nose for the net.

8. Kent Johnson - One of the most skilled and unquestionably the most creative forward in the draft. Work ethic and second-effort are quite high, and he shows a willingness to contribute in his own zone. Biggest concern is his decision-making with the puck, where he tends to try to do too much and makes some high risk plays. He's skilled enough that a lot of it works in the NCAA, but in the NHL he's gonna drive his coaches to drink.

9. Fabian Lysell - Another of the most purely skilled players in the class. Elite skater, both in terms of speed and agility. I haven't watched him a ton but I've had the benefit of seeing him periodically over the course of a year and a half so I've seen his constant progression. Initially at the U17s I had major concerns about him being a one-man show offensively, but the SHL has humbled him and he's improved drastically at knowing when to dump it in or use his teammates vs. trying to go one on two or three. Still trying to find that balance as he looked highly confident again at U18s, but in SHL he often looks unsure of himself with the puck; and his size doesn't help matters as he can't really afford to take bumps or find himself in puck battles because he's usually going to lose possession.

10. Chaz Lucius - Goal-scoring prowess starts with offensive IQ that finds him skating routes off the puck that set up multiple dangerous options, then excellent 260 degree skating agility allows him to quickly utilize those options and slip into open areas, and finally his elite shot finishes things off. I've had the occasional question mark on his decision-making with the puck. Wish we could have seen him against some higher level competition this year, like a DI school or at U18s.

I agree that Clarke might end up going #1 OA, he's just too well rounded and too dynamic.  I like Powers' size and his skill level, but I don't think he's a game changer the way Clarke is.  I think Berniers might even jump the que ahead of powers and, sadly, maybe Eklund as well.  I think Hughes and Sillinger are two players most likely to drop and I hope the Canucks pass on them both.

I like Lysell, but I think there'ssome holes in his game and the way he thinks it, he seems like pure instinct and is a bit of a turnover machine.  HIs motor is comparable to Eklund though, who is probably plays the game at the highest pace of anyone in the draft.

Johnson might fall to #9, but I'm not sold on him either, though he mght be the BPA when it comes to the Nucks spot to pick.  They're going to get someone good, no doubt, I just hope everyone ahead of them goes D and eklund is there at #9, though I think it's a pipe dream.  If the Canucks jump up, I hope they still give serious consideration to taking this kid.

as I've said, Svechkov could be the wild card if they think taking a risk at #9 is worth it.  He's got Horvat written all over him and would be a great combo with podz.

10 minutes ago, tas said:

absolutely. with each year that passes, the CHL becomes a worse and worse feeder system, especially when compared to USHL/USNTDP/NCAA and Europe. hockey canada and the chl desperately need to do something about it if they want to be relevant even a decade from now. 

yup, it's big business, they don't give a sh!t about the kids' developement

12 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

K well I've been looking over my list and realizing there's quite a few players I still need viewings or additional viewings on, so I'll just post my tentative top 10, with brief comments:

1. Brandt Clarke - Elite skating and all-around hockey sense. Like Jamie Drysdale last year, the thing that sets him apart is his ability to escape danger in his own zone; regardless what kind of pressure he is under, he almost always finds a way out. Loves to join the cycle and lead the rush, but what many people miss is he's also really good at picking his spots and knowing when to fall back or dump it in. Only minor concern is his zone defense, where he can get a little lost trying to do too much.

2. Owen Power - His biggest strength is carrying the puck up the ice through the neutral zone, where I see shades of Dustin Byfuglien. Not the greatest hands, but he uses his size and reach to protect the puck, and once he gets going its like trying to knock a steam engine off the tracks. Strong defending around his net, and can make plays in the offensive zone. Only concern for me is his ability to defend against speed.

3. William Eklund - Very high upside, and also looks like a relatively safe pick. He's already an offensive difference-maker in the 3rd best league in the world. Good work ethic, responsible with the puck, but most importantly he loves to make things happen offensively, and his dynamic skating makes him a threat at all times.

4. Matthew Beniers - The best two-way forward in the draft; his checking, tenacity in pursuit and second effort are NHL-ready. Basically everything he does in NCAA is going to carry over smoothly to the NHL. He's shown a dynamic offensive element at times throughout his young career, but I'm doubtful much of that will translate to the NHL due to limited technical skills.

5. Luke Hughes - He's at his best in the offensive zone, where his dynamic skating ability rivals Clarke's, but Hughes has better hands. He also defends well, at least at the USHL level, and carries the puck very well through the neutral zone. The main concern is handling the puck in his own zone under pressure, where he can make smooth escapes in open ice with his skating, but down low he tends to make bad reversals and throw it away to opponents along the boards.

6. Cole Sillinger - He's a swiss army knife and a coach's dream. Such a pro-style player: he's great along the boards and he's the best in the draft around the opponent's net, where he's an elite shot-tipper, creates chaos in the crease and shovels garbage like nobody's business. Excellent on the forecheck and backcheck, first forward on the ice for the PK, and on the PP he can be effective from any position; netfront, bumper, sideboards. He likely won't be best utilized on the point on an NHL powerplay, but for one of the worst teams in the USHL this year he was often needed there. His shot and deceptiveness are his best offensive attributes. Hands are good but not elite. Biggest concern is with his skating, but his hockey sense is high enough to alleviate much of that concern, a la Mark Stone or Luc Robataille. I see a lot of Joe Pavelski in him.

7. Dylan Guenther - Biggest strength is his one-on-ones, where he can deke, skate around guys, or shoot through them. He's also a dangerous shooting option from the left sideboards on the PP. He's also a good two-way forward. No real weaknesses, but as high-end as his skating and stick skills are at the junior level, I don't see them as elite in the NHL. Probably more of a complimentary top six than a line-driver, but he'll score goals due to his shot and nose for the net.

8. Kent Johnson - One of the most skilled and unquestionably the most creative forward in the draft. Work ethic and second-effort are quite high, and he shows a willingness to contribute in his own zone. Biggest concern is his decision-making with the puck, where he tends to try to do too much and makes some high risk plays. He's skilled enough that a lot of it works in the NCAA, but in the NHL he's gonna drive his coaches to drink.

9. Fabian Lysell - Another of the most purely skilled players in the class. Elite skater, both in terms of speed and agility. I haven't watched him a ton but I've had the benefit of seeing him periodically over the course of a year and a half so I've seen his constant progression. Initially at the U17s I had major concerns about him being a one-man show offensively, but the SHL has humbled him and he's improved drastically at knowing when to dump it in or use his teammates vs. trying to go one on two or three. Still trying to find that balance as he looked highly confident again at U18s, but in SHL he often looks unsure of himself with the puck; and his size doesn't help matters as he can't really afford to take bumps or find himself in puck battles because he's usually going to lose possession.

10. Chaz Lucius - Goal-scoring prowess starts with offensive IQ that finds him skating routes off the puck that set up multiple dangerous options, then excellent 360 degree skating agility allows him to quickly utilize those options and slip into open areas, and finally his elite shot finishes things off. I've had the occasional question mark on his decision-making with the puck. Wish we could have seen him against some higher level competition this year, like a DI school or at U18s.

I think your list is pretty close.  I would say that Clarke isn’t an elite skater though.  I’d say that’s the weakest part of his game.  He reminds me a lot of that Oiler guy - Bouchard.  

52 minutes ago, stawns said:

Personally, I'm steering clear of any CHL player unless they can step right in to the NHL.  Euros and Americans can be brought in to the development system earlier. With the team moving to abbottsford I'd like to see them push hard to being drafted players over asap

McTavish has been playing in Switzerland. Not a ton of games.  I think I read he was born there. I think it is where his father played. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

McTavish has been playing in Switzerland. Not a ton of games.  I think I read he was born there. I think it is where his father played. 

But he is property of the Pete's, this he can't play in the AHL until he's 20.

• Cheers 1

Is he playing there because of the Covid season?  Some CHL guys played in the AHL too this past year.  I wonder if he will be allowed to play anywhere other than the NHL, or CHL next season?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is he playing there because of the Covid season?  Some CHL guys played in the AHL too this past year.  I wonder if he will be allowed to play anywhere other than the NHL, or CHL next season?  

Yes

Just played because of covid.

Edited by appleboy
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

K well I've been looking over my list and realizing there's quite a few players I still need viewings or additional viewings on, so I'll just post my tentative top 10, with brief comments:

1. Brandt Clarke - Elite skating and all-around hockey sense. Like Jamie Drysdale last year, the thing that sets him apart is his ability to escape danger in his own zone; regardless what kind of pressure he is under, he almost always finds a way out. Loves to join the cycle and lead the rush, but what many people miss is he's also really good at picking his spots and knowing when to fall back or dump it in. Only minor concern is his zone defense, where he can get a little lost trying to do too much.

2. Owen Power - His biggest strength is carrying the puck up the ice through the neutral zone, where I see shades of Dustin Byfuglien. Not the greatest hands, but he uses his size and reach to protect the puck, and once he gets going its like trying to knock a steam engine off the tracks. Strong defending around his net, and can make plays in the offensive zone. Only concern for me is his ability to defend against speed.

10. Chaz Lucius - Goal-scoring prowess starts with offensive IQ that finds him skating routes off the puck that set up multiple dangerous options, then excellent 360 degree skating agility allows him to quickly utilize those options and slip into open areas, and finally his elite shot finishes things off. I've had the occasional question mark on his decision-making with the puck. Wish we could have seen him against some higher level competition this year, like a DI school or at U18s.

Interesting list...great list!

A couple of things that stick out for me........

#1. you have Sillinger very high, and I agree with most of what you say, but his skating is suspect and average at best. Still a top 15, IMO, but it does raise some flags!

#2. IMO, I think Wallstedt is in the mix, mostly because goalies are not usually ranked high, and in this draft he gets a top 15 nod and there are several teams needing one.

#3. You don't have Edvinsson......he is ranked quite high in most rankings I have seen. He reminds me of Edler in some regards.....Hmmm?

I also think that McTavish, Svechkov, and Ceulemans are hovering just outside the top 10. (albeit Ceuleman's is usually ranked nearer 15 to 18 ish), and Svechkov is ranked all over the place.

I could also easily see both Wallstedt and Cossa going to anyone of Columbus, Detroit, San Jose, LA or even Ottawa

But generally, I love your rankings, and am looking forward to seeing the entire list. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

#1. you have Sillinger very high, and I agree with most of what you say, but his skating is suspect and average at best. Still a top 15, IMO, but it does raise some flags!

#2. IMO, I think Wallstedt is in the mix, mostly because goalies are not usually ranked high, and in this draft he gets a top 15 nod and there are several teams needing one.

#3. You don't have Edvinsson......he is ranked quite high in most rankings I have seen. He reminds me of Edler in some regards.....Hmmm?

I also think that McTavish, Svechkov, and Ceulemans are hovering just outside the top 10. (albeit Ceuleman's is usually ranked nearer 15 to 18 ish), and Svechkov is ranked all over the place.

I could also easily see both Wallstedt and Cossa going to anyone of Columbus, Detroit, San Jose, LA or even Ottawa

But generally, I love your rankings, and am looking forward to seeing the entire list. 

I think SE could go as high as #3 or drop as far as #10-11.  

With the farm moving to Abby, I'd like to see them drafting players they can get into the system asap and that eliminates CHL players like McT and, as much as I like him, Svech as well.

• Cheers 1

On 5/20/2021 at 10:06 PM, DontMessMe said:

If we are bad enuf.. I would dream to bottom out in 2022 season (not next szn, but the szn after). I would kill to have EITHER bedard OR Michkov 

On 5/21/2021 at 4:00 AM, Isam said:

Next years draft isnt bad either. Wright, savoie, or Lambert will be pretty good gets too. Maybe not quite generational, but franchise altering talents nonetheless. 

On 5/21/2021 at 8:39 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Yep, 2022 looks absolutely stacked to me. Personally, I think Miroshnichenko is a clear number two right now, a tier above Lambert and Savoie. Of course it's still a year away so who knows, but Miro is a monster. Don't get me wrong, I love Lambert and I've seen flashes of brilliance from Savoie, but somewhat lost in all the hype of Bedard, Wright and Michkov at the U18s was that Russia's top line was led by two 2022-eligibles.Svechkov was the two-way center but the younger two were the offensive drivers. Yurov is a late birthday, but if he was eligible for this year's draft, he would have very seriously challenged for first overall. And Miroshnichenko is that blend of power and elite skill that every team is dying for. Nemec, Luneau, Salomonsson and Gleb Trikozov could all potentially challenge for spots in the top five too, and all look to be in the same tier as the top four or five players in this year's class.

That's where the GMJB or a new GM does some forward thinking like Sakic did with Duchene by trading him to Ottawa with draft pick conditions.

Miller is the only player on the roster that makes sense to trade next offseason to try a similar strategy. Miller is definitely worth a 1st Rd pick plus more.

Not saying it'll work out in the Canucks favor like it did with Colorado as there are a lot of unknown variables.

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I do too, but its not like the towns where these teams play won't still have fans. I mean, what else is there to do in Peterborough on a Saturday night? 

Alot more than watch a $&!#ty hockey team. Junior fans arent as loyal as nhl fans. The leafs can suck ass and sell out.  

Kingston had less than 1400 fans one game a couple years back. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Pretty much every scouting report mentions his defensive "rawness".  I'm not saying he's not good or going to be good, but if they pick a dman, they need one who is strong defensively.  They've got dmen to provide offense already, now they need to focus on keeping the puck out of their own net.

Svozil is higher up on my list than most for that reason.  Left-handed Tanev could be his floor.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think SE could go as high as #3 or drop as far as #10-11.  

With the farm moving to Abby, I'd like to see them drafting players they can get into the system asap and that eliminates CHL players like McT and, as much as I like him, Svech as well.

I think guys like Lind and Gadj will be pushed back into ahl for next year. They might even try to keep Rathbone there.

Interesting enough........Bob McKenzie lists, which are made from 10 NHL scouts were posted in April

Here they are .............

1. Powers

2. Geuther

3. Edvinsson

4. Beniers

5. Hughes

6. Clarke

7. Eklund

8. Johnson

9. Lucius

10. Wallstedt

11. McTavish

12. Lysell

13. Sillinger

14. Cossa

15. Lambos

16. Bolduc

I post this because it is a list of what NHL guys are thinking and I do not think the names will change much. I should be noted that this was before the U18's, but that will not have too much effect on the names, but will probably move them around a spot of 2........IMO, not much more than that.........

It will be interesting to see!

• Cheers 1

I think guys like Lind and Gadj will be pushed back into ahl for next year. They might even try to keep Rathbone there.

I think Lind will stick, hard to say with Gadj.  I think JR might be in Abby too.  At this point, development should be the focus.  They've got their core set in Van, they can sign guys to fill supporting roles and let players have some time to grow on the farm.  Like I said, I'd like to see them focus on players whose rights are not owned by CHL teams and get them in the system as fast as possible.

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks.

1. It would have been great to have seen Sillinger at U18s, but as I mentioned to you about trusting my instincts - I had him number four on my first list after U17s, and despite other people's opinions, my subsequent viewings as well as the stats have always backed me up, as he was a goal a game player for a while on the worst team in the USHL. The skating has been an issue at times without question, but as a Sens fan I was doubtful of Mark Stone for a long time, and I learned the lesson that when hockey IQ is that high, average skating can be overcome.

2. On Wallstedt, I just can't condone picking goalies that high. I had a post the other day noting that I'm old enough to remember Al Montoya, Rick DiPietro, Dan Blackburn, Pascal Leclaire, etc., all were supposed to be next big things. Yes there's Carey Price, Tuukka Rask, Vasilievsky, but history shows us they are the exception rather than the rule.

3. I've talked a number of times about my concerns with Edvinsson's defensive game; he'll come in around 11 or 12 on my final list. I know it's against the majority, but on McKenzie's first scout survey, Edvinsson was ranked 2nd overall but four scouts had him outside the top ten, so I'm not completely alone on this.

I also have the same handful of players, McTavish, Svechkov, Ceulemans, plus Chibrikov and Lambos, in that 10-15 range. Tuomaala and Bolduc are dark horses competing for spots in my top 15.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Alot more than watch a $&!#ty hockey team. Junior fans arent as loyal as nhl fans. The leafs can suck ass and sell out.  

Kingston had less than 1400 fans one game a couple years back. 

huh. I'm originally from SK so maybe that colours my view of it, those barns are always full. But, it was rural SK... so.... 

6 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

2. On Wallstedt, I just can't condone picking goalies that high. I had a post the other day noting that I'm old enough to remember Al Montoya, Rick DiPietro, Dan Blackburn, Pascal Leclaire, etc., all were supposed to be next big things. Yes there's Carey Price, Tuukka Rask, Vasilievsky, but history shows us they are the exception rather than the rule.

Don't you think the difference between Wallstedt and those other busts is that we have a better track record on him, given his SHL time? doesn't that up the certainly somewhat that he is what he appears to be? We've seen plenty of F and D busts each draft as well. 

If we retain Clarke and drop to 10 or 11, I'd be happy to see us get him, particularly if the draft list falls the way you've put it above.