The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 minute ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

What’s the knock on Hughes?

I think that’s just wishful thinking.  Our board would explode if another Hughes dropped to us.  But, alas, there is zero chance Luke makes it to us.  

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

McKenzie & Craig Button both tabbed Guenther as one player capable of stealing 1st overall?

If he's available at 9; I'm in! 

I hadn’t heard that.  I only saw this kid in the U18’s, so a very small sample, but I wasn’t impressed.  I thought his skill was limited.  Yes he worked hard, and was fast, but I didn’t see him as really a key player.  He’s kind of the one guy (along with that Swedish D man that has no hockey sense; is it edvison?) That I don’t want.  

7 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

McKenzie & Craig Button both tabbed Guenther as one player capable of stealing 1st overall?

So any one of 5 or 6 players could go first overall basically.

24 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Is that so? Those are two knowledgeable hockey guys. But I Wonder what the scouts think of his game; he’s very opportunistic on the offensive side of the puck. What about his defensive  awareness ?

47 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think there is a high probability Power Johnson Guenther Wallstedt are gone before we pick not saying they are busteroos especially when it comes to Wallstedt. However this is the best case scenario for us to grab one of Clarke, Beniers, Luke, Mctavish, Eklund, Edvinsson, all of whom I think would look pretty snappy in a nux jersey. 

God I hope so.  

We just need someone to take either Johnson or Wallstedt and then we can get ourselves a great player at 9.  

1. Powers 

2. Eklund 

3. Beniers 

4. Clarke 

5. Guenther 

6. McTavish 

7. Hughes 

8. Edvinsson 

That or just simply win the lottery :) 

33 minutes ago, hammertime said:

He's not Quinn.

In seriousness though some GM's may be a lil gun shy on a guy who's biggest skill is skating who has lacerated tendons in his foot. 

Ah i see thanks. From my understanding of tendon injuries is that recovery from it has a high success rate.  Albeit this will likely delay his development and arrival time by nearly a year. 

Where would he go in the draft if he didn’t have the injury ?

Is there a official date on when the draft lottery will be? I read a article from Bleacher Report saying it will take place in June but there’s no date settled for it yet. When I googled it, it said it would be June 2nd but not 100% sure. Would like some help please. My top 5 looks like this:

1. Power

2. Clarke

3. Beniers

4. MacTavish

5. Hughes 

obviously just a prediction but scouting is much tougher with the pandemic happening and some players not even play a full season. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Ah i see thanks. From my understanding of tendon injuries is that recovery from it has a high success rate.  Albeit this will likely delay his development and arrival time by nearly a year. 

Where would he go in the draft if he didn’t have the injury ?

Luke has less than a 1% chance of making or playing for the team that picks him next season. He definitely needs a year at least, maybe 2.

53 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

If we pick 10th, assuming Powers, Clarke, Beniers, Hughes, Mctavish, Edvinsoon are already all gone, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Aatu Räty. Kid has mad skills. At the very least, he should win us a few shootouts.

We’re laughing if he’s there when we pick, he has incredible goal scoring instincts and vision out there. We desperately need that in our lineup. 

On 5/23/2021 at 4:06 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Other than being born in BC what do Johnson and Virtanen have in common? Are you suggesting the Canucks should never draft another BC born player just because of Virtanen?

No. That’s not what I’m saying. 

I’m saying that I don’t want another Virtanen situation. 

On 5/23/2021 at 12:35 PM, GarthButcher5 said:

Two very different people from what I can gather looking at them. Neither appear to share a brain or are connected through any other physical manifestation.

I would take him in a heart beat. Johnson is pure talent with a high hockey IQ. Johnson ook the BCHL and college route which likely shows he a more cerebral type player

This team has been very well represented by lower mainland and BC players in the past. Names like Courtnall, Ronning, Morrison, Mitchell, Rota, Stecher....etc come to mind.

I kind of see Johnson as a Morrison style player, he sees the ice well, good skater, fearless, two way acumen.... ya at number 9 I would be pleased to hear his name called. Down right ecstatic in fact

High hockey IQ and pure hockey talent? Sign me up :)

In no particular order I have a feeling these players will all be selected before we pick

Powers

Beniers

Eklund 

Clarke 

Guenther 

McTavish 

Hughes 

WallStedt

Leaving us with one of the following to choose from:

Edvinsson - pretty decent defensively at least off the rush, can play physical and transition puck well. 6'4 200 so has good size. Downside is passing decisions/ability - often just throws passes away (into traffic or intercepted) or passes are off the mark. His hands are faster than his brain, if he just slowed it down a bit he could be a home run pick. He also gets knocked down a lot off his skates much like Pettersson did, needs to time add strength. I just don't see him being a top pairing D although if he improves his decision making, slows his game down a bit over time and adds strength I could very well be wrong. 

Johnson - Has more than enough skill to play at NHL level but where's the rest of his game at? Could be a solid 2nd line LW but if he offense doesn't translate over he isn't a bottom 6 player. He is a high risk/high reward player. For me it's how hard is he willing to battle to win puck battles at NHL level and is he willing to go to the hard areas to get rewarded? He screams like Virtanen in terms of coaches nightmare with some of the stuff he does out on the ice, (defensive play and turnovers). However over time if he polishes his 2way game and his offensive game translates, look out. 

Edited by Outsiders

7 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

We’re laughing if he’s there when we pick, he has incredible goal scoring instincts and vision out there. We desperately need that in our lineup. 

I am not a fan of this player personally. I have to admit, I didn't pay much attention to him last year - I'm always behind the times when it comes to late birthday players, because I'll see the D-1 kids at the U17 tournaments, but while I do see the late birthdays at U18s before their draft year, I'm never paying much attention because my focus is on the draft age players.

That said, I understand that those who support him will say it's been an issue of confidence this season, but my goodness he just doesn't look like an impact player at the pro level. I mean, he can shoot, that much is for certain, and maybe he'll find his mojo and make a lot of people look stupid, but he looks way in over his head. He makes good possession plays, but I rarely see him creating offense, and often he simply wastes a possession and turns it over with a shot from above the faceoff circles. I've heard he's a good two-way center, but in his own zone he looks confused as to whether he's a center or a winger. One scouting report mentions that he's much better suited as a winger at the pro level, and from the little I've seen, that sounds right. But yeah, zero confidence to challenge defenders or create plays toward the net in the couple games I saw this year. I'll be perfectly willing to eat my crow if I'm wrong, but he's not in my top 15, maybe not even top 20.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

God I hope so.  

We just need someone to take either Johnson or Wallstedt and then we can get ourselves a great player at 9.  

1. Powers 

2. Eklund 

3. Beniers 

4. Clarke 

5. Guenther 

6. McTavish 

7. Hughes 

8. Edvinsson 

That or just simply win the lottery :) 

I think Wallstedt is going to Detroit or Cali.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Is there a official date on when the draft lottery will be? I read a article from Bleacher Report saying it will take place in June but there’s no date settled for it yet. When I googled it, it said it would be June 2nd but not 100% sure. Would like some help please. My top 5 looks like this:

1. Power

2. Clarke

3. Beniers

4. MacTavish

5. Hughes 

obviously just a prediction but scouting is much tougher with the pandemic happening and some players not even play a full season. 

The Draft Lottery will be held on Wednesday, June 2nd

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

If we pick 10th, assuming Powers, Clarke, Beniers, Hughes, Mctavish, Edvinsoon are already all gone, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Aatu Räty. Kid has mad skills. At the very least, he should win us a few shootouts.

if Eklund isn't gone by #9, I don't see anyway that JB passes.  I think he'll go top 3-4 though

1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

The Draft Lottery will be held on Wednesday, June 2nd

PICK TEAM RECORD PTS PPG RW STREAK L10 TOP 2 #1 OVR

23-29-4 50 0.893 17 Lost 1 4-5-1 11.1% 5.4%

19-30-7 45 0.804 15 Lost 2 5-4-1 20.5% 10.3%

15-34-7 37 0.661 11 Lost 2 3-7-0 31.6% 16.6%

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1