The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Fired] Mark Donnelly

Rate this topic

goalie13

1 minute ago, MNaslund?? said:

What do you think should of happened to mark? Do you dislike him now?

I never thought much about him in the first place.  I just saw him as a good singer and got the fans revved up once every few games.  People have been let go of their jobs for way less than that though and I agree with that decision.  The image of the team is important me though.  When I support the Canucks, I am making both an emotional and financial investment.  The integrity of the team is very important to me.  I take pride in the fact that we have character players like Bo, Petey and Quinn.  So while I don't necessarily hate the guy, I have very little respect for him.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I never thought much about him in the first place.  I just saw him as a good singer and got the fans revved up once every few games.  People have been let go of their jobs for way less than that though and I agree with that decision.  The image of the team is important me though.  When I support the Canucks, I am making both an emotional and financial investment.  The integrity of the team is very important to me.  I take pride in the fact that we have character players like Bo, Petey and Quinn.  So while I don't necessarily hate the guy, I have very little respect for him.

I agree, thanks for the answer.  :)

• Cheers 2

With the amount of community work the Canucks do at the Children’s hospital and the awareness of how important it is to wear masks around vulnerable people, it’s no shock at all to see the Aquilini’s cut ties with the anthem singer.

The city is on a two week lockdown and he thinks going to an anti-mask rally is a good option? The entire NHL played in a bubble for months...

Then he sings the previous version of the anthem that was gender specific.

Good on Francesco for being so decisive!

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

You neglect the fact that you'll also kill people in other ways as well. Stress is one of the biggest leading factors in bodies breaking down and creating susceptibility to disease and other negative life impacts such as high blood pressure, heart attacks, organ damage, etc. I would know, I'd say probably 10% of emergency cases I deal with personally on a daily basis are stress induced. We neglect this because we look at death totals. In the uk they estimate 180,000 deaths are a result of stress induced incidents. Things like cancer, strokes, diabetes, heart related stuff, all linked to stress. By straying away from normalcy and routine, we add to those numbers significantly. Isolation leads to depression. This is the most stressful time in most peoples' lives. 

It's very easy to look at the black and white picture. We see total deaths and it's shocking. The elderly are at serious risk. Meanwhile, most other age groups are looking at other risks that are far more serious to them. Financial strain, further monopolization of industries, poor education, increased stress, soon to be higher taxes and further divide between inflation VS average income, traditions being banished, etc. 

There's a lot they're fighting for too. They're fighting for a standard of living. It's very easy to see from a health perspective that this is serious stuff. But for many, it really isn't. I have hardly any fear about getting the virus myself, and most of my peers don't because we are younger and statistically it doesn't affect us except for the very rare odd occasion. Most of my generation practices good health measures selflessly for people like grandparents or our fruends' grandparents or our own parents. We know that this is absolutely killing the economy and we are gonna pay for it. We know this is gonna lead to increased depression rates and that our mental health is gonna suffer for it. Most of us choose this because we've been raised to be selfless. However like it or not, the real world doesn't care about how selfless we are. Life always moves on without us. 

I think it's unfair to say they don't take it seriously, they just don't take it seriously in the manner you'd like them to. 

Now the reason, I post the 1918 Flu Mortality graph by age, is that once you start down that....its ok to let, old people die, then a flu or Covid that kill another age group more than older people....well then, do you expect help and people to be careful and wear friggin masks? You bet your A$$ you will! There is always a next time, Mikey, there is always a next time......you might want to think about that too! FCK, you got me Pssd off!

journal.pone.0069586.g001

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

Well I do agree with you on that.  When I turned on global news, the first thing that was said was "Christmas is Cancelled"

How stupid is that headline, but somehow people will accept it as being ok, we are headed down a very slippery slope.

11 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

How stupid is that headline, but somehow people will accept it as being ok, we are headed down a very slippery slope.

I see the media as like an onion.  You have to peel off layers to get to the truth.  Things are always going to be sensationalized. Though I think we have it better up here than down south.

Which reminds me over a month ago I was fishing on a local river and the guy next to me (socially distanced) asked me who I thought was going to win the US election and I carefully said, the if things go as they should it would be Biden.  He then goes on to say how bad the media has treated Trump and how bad the media down there made him look since he wasn't such a bad guy :blink: and asked what I thought about that.  I chose my words carefully because the run that I was fishing was very productive and I wanted to continue fishing there.  Goes to show you the stuff that's thrown around down there.  

Edited by coho8888

26 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Now the reason, I post the 1918 Flu Mortality graph by age, is that once you start down that....its ok to let, old people die, then a flu or Covid that kill another age group more than older people....well then, do you expect help and people to be careful and wear friggin masks? You bet your A$$ you will! There is always a next time, Mikey, there is always a next time......you might want to think about that too! FCK, you got me Pssd off!

journal.pone.0069586.g001

This year 12,000 Canadian died of COVID.

45,000 Canadians died of smoking.

4,500 died of second hand smoke.

This doesn’t upset you.

what about the fact  there are multiple dozens of flights arriving at YVR with almost daily instances that someone on board was infected.

https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/flights/arriving-flights

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/public-exposures-flights-tables-Current.pdf

This doesn’t upset you?

How about they just cancelled Christmas, you can’t have your family visit but those that need to can still have cleaning ladies come over.

This doesn’t upset you?

They are predicting over 1.5 billion masks will end up in the ocean, they have straps that can ensnare fish and other critter.

This doesn't upset you?

Every reaction we have to COVID has benefits and detriments, nothing is 100% good and not everyone will agree with you where you place the line and it’s selfish for you to expect them too.

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

This year 12,000 Canadian died of COVID..yes and what would it have been with no masks (plz refer to Sweden for your answer) Plus what about future deaths?

45,000 Canadians died of smoking....Too many! but the Mortality rate per 1000 Canadians is going down, as less people are smoking and health experts reduce rates.

4,500 died of second hand smoke.....see above (laws, and advertising and medical break throughs, smarter people)

This doesn’t upset you. All that does

what about the fact  there are multiple dozens of flights arriving at YVR with almost daily instances that someone on board was infected. 

https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/flights/arriving-flights

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/public-exposures-flights-tables-Current.pdf

This doesn’t upset you? Yes it does.

How about they just cancelled Christmas, you can’t have your family visit but those that need to can still have cleaning ladies come over.

Christmas is cancelled? So, there is no December 25th?

This doesn’t upset you? Damn right it does! No college football!

They are predicting over 1.5 billion masks will end up in the ocean, they have straps that can ensnare fish and other critter.

Well they won't be getting Covid in schools!

This doesn't upset you? No .....Fish don't deserve Covid either!...........but seriously, I don't know where you get the number from, but pollution is bad!

Every reaction we have to COVID has benefits and detriments, nothing is 100% good and not everyone will agree with you where you place the line and it’s selfish for you to expect them too.

No one expects 100%........But what should be expected is to do our utmost to do our best. To reduce the chances of infecting another person as much as we can.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

So you are all right with doctors, nurses, ambulance attendants, firemen, and police to die, when they are saving people that have covid over the next 5 years or so?

You are ok with your parents, or aunts and Uncles, or the mom down the street, or a kid dying because they are one of the few, that can not fight Covid........

You are ok, with me dying, as long as you are not inconvenienced.......

Good to know! 

So, when some guy knocks you down on the street and is beating on you, and you are crying for help, .....you are ok, if I don't help, because, you know, I could get hurt...or like, I might be late for dinner!

Man, I am really disappointed with your humanity :picard:

I'm just gonna ask you a simple question, at what point are you okay shutting down peoples' livelihoods based on the death rate of a virus or bug? At what point are you okay with the masses losing their jobs, shutting down educations and performing mass lockdowns? 

I'd imagine standard influenza isn't enough for you (unless you've been actively praying for lockdowns, masks and social distancing for the past 20 years and we just didn't know about it) so you've been okay with some deaths (yes, even your aunts, uncles and even me!!!). So what is your tipping point to shutting everything down? 

Or were you actively irritated with society when H1n1 wasn't locking people down? 

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I'm just gonna ask you a simple question, at what point are you okay shutting down peoples' livelihoods based on the death rate of a virus or bug? At what point are you okay with the masses losing their jobs, shutting down educations and performing mass lockdowns? 

I'd imagine standard influenza isn't enough for you (unless you've been actively praying for lockdowns, masks and social distancing for the past 20 years and we just didn't know about it) so you've been okay with some deaths (yes, even your aunts, uncles and even me!!!). So what is your tipping point to shutting everything down? 

Or were you actively irritated with society when H1n1 wasn't locking people down? 

Last I looked, Schools were open, many businesses as well.  Also you are so misinformed about death rates.  Covid is much more deadlier than a normal flu, and the low rate we are seeing is due to the measures we have taken.  But go ahead open up everything, let everyone get infected.  Maybe some twice.  See how those death rates will shoot up when the hospitals get fully slammed and people just die in their beds at home (happened in Italy btw).  See how many young people have chronic issues afterwards (something we don't see with the common flu).  We did well in the Summer until some idiots decided that partying was more important.  It wasn't necessarily themselves they put at risk, it was the people they infected and spread it to.  Despite all that has been discussed here since March, the same crap gets recycled time and time again.  Oh we are in lockdown, there are mass suicides, oh everything is closed, Why couldn't we do what Sweden did?, Bill Gates caused this, Masks don't work, Covid is a hoax.  Frankly i'm sick and tired of this.  

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

But what should be expected is to do our utmost to do our best. To reduce the chances of infecting another person as much as we can.

At what expense? There are 3 keys to preventing the spread, masks, washing hands and distancing, out of those three only distancing could be 100% effect so should we not be in an absolute lockdown? Anything else is risk vs. Reward and everyone of us has a different interpretation of where the line should be drawn. Is it ok for 100 people to lose their business to save one old person? What about 1000? Seems 45,000 smoking deaths is OK as that’s not banned and they even allow vaping ads.

Bars are still open, guarantee that will result in at least one death.

Planes are landing at YVR, guarantee that will result in at least one death.

The rich can still have their cleaning ladies, guarantee that will result in at least one death.

Malls are insane right now, guarantee that will result in at least one death.

Restaurants are open and you don’t need masks eating, guarantee that will result in at least one death.

If we just shut all that down we can save at least 5 people.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Last I looked, Schools were open, many businesses as well.  Also you are so misinformed about death rates.  Covid is much more deadlier than a normal flu, and the low rate we are seeing is due to the measures we have taken.  But go ahead open up everything, let everyone get infected.  Maybe some twice.  See how those death rates will shoot up when the hospitals get fully slammed and people just die in their beds at home (happened in Italy btw).  See how many young people have chronic issues afterwards (something we don't see with the common flu).  We did well in the Summer until some idiots decided that partying was more important.  It wasn't necessarily themselves they put at risk, it was the people they infected and spread it to.  Despite all that has been discussed here since March, the same crap gets recycled time and time again.  Oh we are in lockdown, there are mass suicides, oh everything is closed, Why couldn't we do what Sweden did?, Bill Gates caused this, Masks don't work, Covid is a hoax.  Frankly i'm sick and tired of this.  

I'm not misinformed. I'm actually on your side (all of your points are 100% valid) . I'm just curious at what point he was okay with nature taking its course in previous years as to now. 

4 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

At what expense? There are 3 keys to preventing the spread, masks, washing hands and distancing, out of those three only distancing could be 100% effect so should we not be in an absolute lockdown? Anything else is risk vs. Reward and everyone of us has a different interpretation of where the line should be drawn. Is it ok for 100 people to lose their business to save one old person? What about 1000? Seems 45,000 smoking deaths is OK as that’s not banned and they even allow vaping ads.

Bars are still open, guarantee that will result in at least one death.

Planes are landing at YVR, guarantee that will result in at least one death.

The rich can still have their cleaning ladies, guarantee that will result in at least one death.

Malls are insane right now, guarantee that will result in at least one death.

Restaurants are open and you don’t need masks eating, guarantee that will result in at least one death.

If we just shut all that down we can save at least 5 people.

Another question to ask, is why are people still working and going to their jobs? If people stopped working we can save more lives too. 

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

I'm not misinformed. I'm actually on your side (all of your points are 100% valid) . I'm just curious at what point he was okay with nature taking its course in previous years as to now. 

Hard to compare Covid with the H1N1 because it was a different Virus.  It didn't seem to spread as easily as Covid and most people got sick right away.  We didn't have to take the same measures back then.

1 minute ago, coho8888 said:

Hard to compare Covid with the H1N1 because it was a different Virus.  It didn't seem to spread as easily as Covid and most people got sick right away.  We didn't have to take the same measures back then.

I agree. Covid has a much higher spread rate, but that doesn't mean that you can't just throw out questions of morality when you cannot feasibly say where to draw the line between standard natural selection VS this new pandemic. Is it fair to say you were okay with H1n1 killing the hundreds of thousands it did and walking around without a mask? 

11 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

You know, I am just an average guy........and I am surrounded by friends that are all smart and critical thinkers....

We have great discussions, and all end up in agreement........most times! LOL

Similar here - however we often disagree and you know what - that’s fine and we enjoy the discussions and respect each other’s opinions. Helps all of us from being in a echo chamber 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I agree. Covid has a much higher spread rate, but that doesn't mean that you can't just throw out questions of morality when you cannot feasibly say where to draw the line between standard natural selection VS this new pandemic. Is it fair to say you were okay with H1n1 killing the hundreds of thousands it did and walking around without a mask? 

H1n1 was never that far reaching to consider mask mandates or shut downs and no I’m never ok with the loss of lives.  Just not naive to think we can save everyone.  Governments everywhere are struggling to find the right balance.  It’s a tough task.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

H1n1 was never that far reaching to consider mask mandates or shut downs and no I’m never ok with the loss of lives.  Just not naive to think we can save everyone.  Governments everywhere are struggling to find the right balance.  It’s a tough task.

Yeah, really tough on the government, https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/austin-mayor-apologizes-after-he-told-residents-to-stay-at-home-while-vacationing-in-mexico-1.5217077

Why wasn’t  this guy fired?

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Cheers 1