The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

18 hours ago, AppleJack said:

the fact the flu kills so many is beyond stupid because there legit is a way to stop it but antivaxxers...

Putting the vaccination debate aside, the following is from CDC (the US agency, not our beloved site here):

CDC conducts studies each year to determine how well the influenza (flu) vaccine protects against flu illness. While vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

23 hours ago, BPA said:

My point is that there have been many flight passengers among those who did not shown symptoms during the flight but afterwards. But there have been no cases (I think) that the other passengers were affected.   Otherwise we would have seen a widespread epidemic by now.

Think about it.  This virus was first reported early Jan.  There have been only a few cases outside of China.  The ones in Canada turned up negative or cured.  No new cases in Canada cropped up from those people spreading it inside Canada.

The virus has largely remained localized in Wuhan.  And will be restricted to China since they are in locked down.

You guys are blowing things way out of proportion. 

It's not about "blowing things out of proportion".  It's about preventative measures and being proactive so it doesn't blow out of proportion.

A lax attitude in the initial stages isn't really responsible or helping matters....not time to exhale (yet).

"Otherwise we would have" is premature...this thing's gathering steam, not on a plateau/  Those who were on earlier flights weren't in the throes of things  at this magnitude and look how it's increased in China?  So it's just ridiculous to argue against keeping people on board who are heading for quarantine...if you let them off a plane, then it's sort of pointless to go through the motions once it touches down for good.  How can you justify "non quarantine" on the journey to quarantine?  

If someone HAS an infectious disease but isn't showing symptoms yet you don't play with fire...you contain those who've possibly been exposed until a brief period of time has passed to be sure.

I'd bet many initial cases were thought to be something else?  And that we'll see more before we see less of this.

19 hours ago, AppleJack said:

The news said last night that they wont be let off the plane in Vancouver unless they are showing symptoms and then there care would be taken over by bc health care.

Still makes me a bit nervous but at least they are being quarantined and our citizens will be brought back.

So put it this way....people on the plane who aren't showing symptoms are in the same contained area as those who are.  

Then they let them off the plane based on "not" showing symptoms.  The part they aren't considering is "yet".  Because everyone who has symptoms had none at first...that's kind of how it works.  To assume they aren't carrying this because they aren't showing signs is really mind boggling to me.  These are experts?

No one should be allowed off the plane...it's ludicrous and very negligent in my view.  Those people are going to be quarantined but, in the meantime, let them wander amongst others?  Makes no sense.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Of which how many are seniors?......

about the same as the corona virus, from the numbers seen, 70-80% of people who die from either are over 65. 

Just because we now have social media doesn't mean we're at higher risk of getting a disease. You're at much higher risk from the annual flu, or driving to get groceries for that matter. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

about the same as the corona virus, from the numbers seen, 70-80% of people who die from either are over 65. 

Just because we now have social media doesn't mean we're at higher risk of getting a disease. You're at much higher risk from the annual flu, or driving to get groceries for that matter. 

Precisely.

my post was in response to another poster saying there is a “legit way to stop the flu” via vaccine.....

”but antivaxxers.....”

there is no flu cure.  Never has.  Never will.  Antivaxxers don’t change that.

Edited by riffraff
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Precisely.

my post was in response to another poster saying there is a “legit way to stop the flu” via vaccine.....

”but antivaxxers.....”

there is no flu cure.  Never has.  Never will.  Antivaxxers don’t change that.

not a cure, but you can really reduce your chances of getting one, and when you do get one it is often less severe. 

BBC had a piece saying the death % might also be much lower than 2% because there are many people in China likely not reporting they have it. 

Masks are useless as well. Just wash your hands, be aware of not touching your face out in public. If you have an underlying condition be even more careful. Its all stuff you should be doing here during flu season anyway. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So put it this way....people on the plane who aren't showing symptoms are in the same contained area as those who are.  

Then they let them off the plane based on "not" showing symptoms.  The part they aren't considering is "yet".  Because everyone who has symptoms had none at first...that's kind of how it works.  To assume they aren't carrying this because they aren't showing signs is really mind boggling to me.  These are experts?

No one should be allowed off the plane...it's ludicrous and very negligent in my view.  Those people are going to be quarantined but, in the meantime, let them wander amongst others?  Makes no sense.

I would put in a snide comment but don't want to get banned.

I trust that they have consulted "experts" on how to deal with this.  Just because it doesn't follow your logic doesn't mean it's wrong.

BTW...I'm pretty sure they didn't consult Dr. Recchi.

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh I agree 1000% like how do they expect to even quarantine anyone on a plane if they did start showing symptoms.

21 hours ago, Kakanucks said:

Second presumptive case of Wuhan coronavirus identified in B.C.

Local tests came back positive, but won't be officially confirmed until the results are replicated at the National Microbiology Lab.

“The second coronavirus patient identified in British Columbia is a woman in her 50s who has family visiting from Wuhan, the Chinese city at the centre of the outbreak.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said the patient fell ill a few days ago, and is being kept at home in isolation along with her visiting relatives.” 

So these visitors are in BC and this women is now sick with the virus from her visiting family. Sorry but visiting or not shouldn’t they be confirming more then 2 cases in BC since that the visitors are in BC now? That’s what I got out of that article that they are being  vague on. But I guess if you are not from BC it doesn’t count? Okie dokie karaoke. 

Edited by EP Phone Home

6 hours ago, BPA said:

I would put in a snide comment but don't want to get banned.

I trust that they have consulted "experts" on how to deal with this.  Just because it doesn't follow your logic doesn't mean it's wrong.

BTW...I'm pretty sure they didn't consult Dr. Recchi.

There's some real sarcasm and a hint of anger in your posts but you've failed to address my concerns so I feel like it's a huge deflection.

The experts sometimes get it wrong.

If they're letting people off the plane in Vancouver who are destined for quarantine beyond Vancouver, I feel that sort of defeats the purpose.  May as well just let those people carry on, business as usual if they've determined they're ok (enough to let disembark).  If they feel a need to quarantine them later, probably should also be doing it now.  Just common sense, that's all.

6 hours ago, BPA said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/05/health/wuhan-coronavirus-flawed-report/index.html

Looks like you have to be symptomatic in order to transfer thr virus.  Previous report of asymptomatic transference of the virus is flawed.

But public health officials now say the report may be flawed.
Interviews with the Chinese patient at the center of the case revealed she may have actually had mild, nonspecific symptoms.

You do understand the "may be" part and why we should perhaps err on the side of caution until things are confirmed as "certain"?

And what if some of those people on the flight to Vancouver don't have "the" symptoms that are identified with this and therefore don't present as symptomatic?  

"In contrast to first reports according to which the index case (a Chinese traveling in Germany) seemed to have been asymptomatic during the time of likely transmission here, recent interviews by the Bavarian health authorities and the Robert Koch Institute in Chinese language revealed that she might have had mild unspecific symptoms including back pain and also took antipyretic medication."

So they may attribute their back pain to .... a long flight?

You can see why I'd prefer they don't just let people off the plane.  It seems flaws are being revealed and until more is known, it seems the best course of action.

So before you fire back perhaps answer some of these questions I pose rather than just being insulting.

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You do understand the "may be" part and why we should perhaps err on the side of caution until things are confirmed as "certain"?

And what if some of those people on the flight to Vancouver don't have "the" symptoms that are identified with this and therefore don't present as symptomatic?  

You can see why I'd prefer they don't just let people off the plane.  It seems flaws are being revealed and until more is known, it seems the best course of action.

So before you fire back perhaps answer some of these questions I pose rather than just being insulting.

We have to leave the advice to the pro's Deb, and not get led around by false reports. 

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Geez.  Getting off the plane doesn't mean they get to go and hang out at the nearest Starbucks.  

As above post...16 cases in North America and 0 deaths.  

I get that you're worried but being overly paranoid isn't helpful.   I would argue that instead its spreading fear amongst the masses.  

8 hours ago, canuckfromlangley said:

We should just block travel from China until this blow's over. We have 1 sick cow and China bans imports for a year. I don't see how this is any different.

Pretty much all flights to China have been canceled.  Up to end of March from what I've heard.