The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

13 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I have no doubt the usual suspects will turn this into a comparison game but interesting read nonetheless imo.

COVID-19 a 'failure of early warning' for Canada, intelligence expert says

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/covid-19-a-failure-of-early-warning-for-canada-intelligence-expert-says-1.4893558

I think its hard to argue otherwise, but why we didn't act 2-3 weeks earlier needs a lot of dissection. If we're just going to play the political blame game then who cares, we'll have learned nothing (but of course if there is criminal mismanagement that needs to be dealt with asap).

At this point I think we can safety say the feds and most provinces didn't act soon enough. But we can also say once we did its a shining example of the feds and provinces working together, and we've managed to do pretty well all things considered.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I have no doubt the usual suspects will turn this into a comparison game but interesting read nonetheless imo.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/covid-19-a-failure-of-early-warning-for-canada-intelligence-expert-says-1.4893558

I think the article makes a good point, but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with the "usual suspects" line.....:unsure:

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Kushman said:

I was simply stating an observation that I've come across consistently when coming across people such as yourself that swallow up every bit of bs that the media or the government tells you without question. Similarly to how you believe the bs coming out of China and try to use their numbers/reports as facts when anyone with half a brain realizes its complete and utter bs. You sound a lot like the folks that had difficulty passing an English proficiency exam, but maybe it's just the fever getting to you. Hope you make a full recovery.

touched a nerve I see.........the hallmark of the intellectually insecure.  That's why Trump is an expert on everything........deep seeded insecurity toward people smarter than he is, of which there is a loooooooooong list.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

So, poster posts a link, to make a point, as a comparison; then talks about how people will turn this into a comparison?

Have I got this right?

I'm still not getting the point....what "comparison" should we be making?

Something was suggested back in '04 and it wasn't adopted. It might have been beneficial in the fight against COVID 19 if it had. Okay. A missed opportunity, but pretty much the same Monday morning quaterbacking that's been going on since the beginning of the crisis...:unsure:

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't think anyone thinks we were on the ball early on, I know I didn't.  The number of governments that were can be counted on one hand.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think the article makes a good point, but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with the "usual suspects" line.....:unsure:

Right underneath you.

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

So, poster posts a link, to make a point, as a comparison; then talks about how people will turn this into a comparison?

Have I got this right?

Because it always turns into "we are better than the US." Since when are they the top model for anything other than bombing people?

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Right underneath you.

Because it always turns into "we are better than the US." Since when are they the top model for anything other than bombing people?

they are a low bar, no doubt about that.  That said, they are our neighbor and closest allie, of course we're going to compare ourselves to them as we are inherently linked in almost every way.  We should, however, strive to loftier goals, I agree completely.

• Cheers 3

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Right underneath you.

Does it? I've seen plenty of comparisons to places like Taiwan and Singapore......

On the flip side, I've seen plenty of posts critical of the responses in places like Sweden, The UK, The Netherlands and Brazil. (I myself have made many about Bolsonaro who's been far worse than Trump. IMO)

• Cheers 2

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I agree with that. But imo as Canadians we should expect the best. 

Sometimes, I think I live in Utopia. 
Then I think, imagine the rest of the World...

I am proud and lucky to be Canadian. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

This government clearly had some twisted priorities when they kept on hemming and hawing over closing down the border. I am convinced we got a lot of our cases from south of the border. Trudeau is not a decisive leader, he comes across to me as an appeaser. He was trying to appease the US and the people whose livelihoods depended on the border remaining open. We should have been way faster in closing down borders, airports, etc and screening anyone entering the country from anywhere cases were being discovered. The delay will cost us many lives. With that said anyone suggesting Scheer could have done a lot better or worse for that matter is probably being partisan. 

Edited by Toews

1 minute ago, Toews said:

This government clearly had some twisted priorities when they kept on hemming and hawing over closing down the border. I am convinced we got a lot of our cases from south of the border. Trudeau is not a decisive leader, he comes across to me as an appeaser. He was trying to appease the US and the people whose livelihoods depended on the border remaining open. We should have been way faster in closing down borders, airports, etc and screening anyone entering the country from cases were being discovered. The delay will cost us many lives. With that said anyone suggesting Scheer could have done a lot better or worse for that matter is probably being partisan. 

I agree they spent some time sitting on the fence, but can you imagine the uproar if he had been proactive........the mushroom cloud from the prairies would have been visible from all parts of the country.

I'm no fan of JT, but he has, imo, finally become a leader during this crisis.  He is firm, yet comforting and he has managed to get all aspects of government to work in unison and ignore political affiliations during this.  I am proud of all our politicians in this crisis..........as proud as you can be of politicians, of course.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Maybe a new thread could be made that's strictly for covid-19 government blaming and Trump bashing? 

Our government certainly plays a role in coronavirus whether good or bad.

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

This government clearly had some twisted priorities when they kept on hemming and hawing over closing down the border. I am convinced we got a lot of our cases from south of the border. Trudeau is not a decisive leader, he comes across to me as an appeaser. He was trying to appease the US and the people whose livelihoods depended on the border remaining open. We should have been way faster in closing down borders, airports, etc and screening anyone entering the country from anywhere cases were being discovered. The delay will cost us many lives. With that said anyone suggesting Scheer could have done a lot better or worse for that matter is probably being partisan. 

Exactly. It's not about politics but we need to know did we do the best job we could have, people have died so it's important to know this. I agree JT is an appeaser but I feel Scheer also would have been to the US. I'm tired of this we are so connected bs they would cut us off in a second and imo people's lives here are more important than our relationship to the US.

Just now, stawns said:

I agree they spent some time sitting on the fence, but can you imagine the uproar if he had been proactive........the mushroom cloud from the prairies would have been visible from all parts of the country.

Maybe true but great leaders show foresight and realize that an unpopular decision maybe the right one and have the stones to make those tough decisions. Trudeau was faced with a real crisis where there was little precedent to fall back on and he largely appeared to be more a follower than a leader. Its still better than leading your country right into the ditch which is what the Trump/BoJo governments were doing.

Just now, stawns said:

I'm no fan of JT, but he has, imo, finally become a leader during this crisis.  He is firm, yet comforting and he has managed to get all aspects of government to work in unison and ignore political affiliations during this.  I am proud of all our politicians in this crisis..........as proud as you can be of politicians, of course.

I don't really give too much credit to Trudeau for being nonpartisan. Its what we should be expecting out of politicians at all levels when we are faced with crisis of such nature. Just imho the "pride" that people are feeling is probably inflated as a result of the clown show to the south of us and looking at how they have dealt with this crisis. We have to be thankful that we are not as polarized as they are. At the same time we have to realize that we are far from being the "best", when our nationalistic impulse asserts itself.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

No one denies they play a role in the crisis, but this thread keeps getting hijacked with conspiracy theories, Trump, and incessant finger pointing towards Trudeau and governments, to the point that each time posters tune into the thread there's a handful of new pages that are filled with all of the above. You can barely even find any provincial or world updates anymore in this thread, but unfortunately we can find lots of armchair politicians and leaders. 

21 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Exactly. It's not about politics but we need to know did we do the best job we could have, people have died so it's important to know this. I agree JT is an appeaser but I feel Scheer also would have been to the US. I'm tired of this we are so connected bs they would cut us off in a second and imo people's lives here are more important than our relationship to the US.

that's something you do when it's over, not in the middle imo.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

No one denies they play a role in the crisis, but this thread keeps getting hijacked with conspiracy theories, Trump, and incessant finger pointing towards Trudeau and governments, to the point that each time posters tune into the thread there's a handful of new pages that are filled with all of the above. You can barely even find any provincial or world updates anymore in this thread, but unfortunately we can find lots of armchair politicians and leaders. 

Trump creates his own problems, he doesn't need conspiracy theories creatred about him.  

• Upvote 3