to insist on your narrative

it is stupid

dr. henry is an expert in the field of viruses and epidemics

she has been involved in major outbreaks globally in her career

she was hired on febuary 1 by the province of bc

to steer our efforts and be the public spokesperson

she has ongoing consultation with all the key medical people in the province

bc in fact is a world leader on virus issues

attempting to minimize her or the provincial efforts by saying we are 1 of hundreds

simply is you displaying your ignorance

dr. henry is a global expert

she does not work in isolation

bc has expertise that is top tier globally

and in bc they are focused on how the virus acts locally, not in china or anywhere else

there is no one else from any other country

that has more expertise about what is going on in bc with this pandemic

then dr. henry and her colleagues

you can bank on that

but i'm sure you will still try to undermine this

so just do your thing

i will not longer respond to your posts

your stubborn approach is just too revealing about your agenda

one which is not founded on fact finding or truth seeking

I like dr. henry, she has been very calming to British Columbians, but I don't believe the whole story is being told. She talks how people are doing a good job of social distancing and staying home, yet parents are still letting their children play in parks. people are still have parties.  but most of what bothers me is that BC does not do enough testing, and I believe the numbers here are low because of that.  more testing needs to be done to get the real numbers.  other provinces are somewhat doing it, why can't BC  do it

9 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

Oh man.  I just love the hypocrisy in all of this.  People head to the cottage in BC on Vancouver Island and people freak the F out.  Trudeau basically does the same and the same people defend him.

Not everyone is able to take advantage of taxpayers money like pretty boy (he didn't fly commercial) ....but I seriously doubt anybody would give two ****'s if people swam over to Vancouver Island.  Seems like the amount of actual traffic was overblown according to the provincial government in any event.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

They're open, but for how long?  That's what they're saying will likely happen here too.  We'll ease off, numbers will go up, we'll isolate.......numbers go down, we ease off............numbers go up, we isolate again.  Rinse and repeat

They'veh had108 new cases and 6 death........the most since March 12.  Though they're saying it's all imported and no community transmission.......though that'll be just a matter of time.

China wont be closing down again. I'd bet on that. Do you really think they care about old and infirm enough? They probably shut down Wuhan because of uncertainty at the time.

I want restaurants and small business to be free to reopen. People know the risks and the businesses should be able to compete to show how they can protect their customers. Life must go on, unless we are ready to give up on free enterprise. I suppose many would be anxious for this.

14 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

Oh man.  I just love the hypocrisy in all of this.  People head to the cottage in BC on Vancouver Island and people freak the F out.  Trudeau basically does the same and the same people defend him.

I think its all crap but whatever.  If people are going to break rules they are going to break rules.  I don't see how Trudeau traveling to see the wife and kids in another province is any better than me taking the wife and kid to go visit my parents down the road for easter.  Its still combining 2 groups that were already seperate.  Yes I feel for Trudeau being away from the wife and kids, I know I would be missing them and want to be with if I was in his position, but when you lay out guidelines and tell people to follow them then essentially do opposite of what you say its sort of hard to take serious.  But it is what it is, I will continue to not see my parents and they wont get to see their grandson for the time being.  Don't like seeing all the travel that happened on the ferries on the weekend, listened to CBC radio and the Princeton mayor was saying their only grocery store got wiped out by travelers when they had enough stock for the community before so its unfortunate. 

43 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually there is a few stories on it. Canadas top doctor told Canadians not to head to their cottages. 

Pretty ridiculous, brings his whole family on a plane funded by tax payers during a pandemic no less.

Canada's top doctor told Canadians not to.

Actually it's not just opinion pieces. Trudeau and Scheer, do as we say not as we do. Honestly it's not a big deal to me but I can certainly understand why people get annoyed with politcians/government. 

I guess in fairness like the article said they would have flown commercial anyways and most likely on tax payers dime regardless, being able to by pass that and get on a plane already on route without other stops might have been the cheaper/safer way?  I don't know, they probably could have stayed home but I guess as long as they are staying in Ottawa long term now then it is what it is.

13 minutes ago, Dustbin said:

China wont be closing down again. I'd bet on that. Do you really think they care about old and infirm enough? They probably shut down Wuhan because of uncertainty at the time.

I want restaurants and small business to be free to reopen. People know the risks and the businesses should be able to compete to show how they can protect their customers. Life must go on, unless we are ready to give up on free enterprise. I suppose many would be anxious for this.

I agree, things will open up eventually, but we're a long way from that.   And it's not just the elderly and infirmed who will die if we ease off and it flairs up.........we know that from everywhere that's had a serious outbreak.

25 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

The difference is that the Trudeau family was probably all tested prior to the gathering, not that that makes it right. It was no doubt a short sighted move from a political POV and is hypocritical of the gov's message but in reality they wouldn't have met without the reassurance that they were all negative, a luxury we don't have. The danger is in the movement of the populace, not an isolated (likely pre tested) family. The optics are bad though.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Russ said:

I guess in fairness like the article said they would have flown commercial anyways and most likely on tax payers dime regardless, being able to by pass that and get on a plane already on route without other stops might have been the cheaper/safer way?  I don't know, they probably could have stayed home but I guess as long as they are staying in Ottawa long term now then it is what it is.

I did read that but still the optics look bad.

33 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

It's getting to the point where you can't even have a discussion with Trudeau supporters without the blatant hypocrisy. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The difference is that the Trudeau family was probably all tested prior to the gathering, not that that makes it right. It was no doubt a short sighted move from a political POV and is hypocritical of the gov's message but in reality they wouldn't have met without the reassurance that they were all negative, a luxury we don't have. The danger is in the movement of the populace, not an isolated (likely pre tested) family. The optics are bad though.

According to the Prime Minister he has not been tested. Is he lying?

Canada's top doctor told Canadians to stay away from their cottages. 

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, things will open up eventually, but we're a long way from that.   And it's not just the elderly and infirmed who will die if we ease off and it flairs up.........we know that from everywhere that's had a serious outbreak.

The Alberta government said things will remain the same until at least the end of May.

I called the city today to ask if confederation park was open, it was they said just practice social distancing. Admittedly I haven't been out much, just drinking instead. Let me tell you there was a few people completely oblivious and walk right next to you.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

The Alberta government said things will remain the same until at least the end of May.

I called the city today to ask if confederation park was open, it was they said just practice social distancing. Admittedly I haven't been out much, just drinking instead. Let me tell you there was a few people completely oblivious and walk right next to you.

I find not wearing any deordorant solves that problem.  Save money on buying less of that item AND people stay further away from me.  Win-Win scenario!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not everyone is able to take advantage of taxpayers money like pretty boy (he didn't fly commercial) ....but I seriously doubt anybody would give two ****'s if people swam over to Vancouver Island.  Seems like the amount of actual traffic was overblown according to the provincial government in any event.

According to Tam(spelling?) The biggest reason was due to the fact of going to cottages was the resources wouldn't be in certain locations to help people, or at least that's the comments I caught from her. But let's be honest the PM and his family will always have a health detail which in some ways makes this look worse. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

I guess nothing is impossible. In New York  so far 26 of the 6200 deaths were people under 45 with no underlying condition (this would not include morbid obesity which is a big risk factor). No one under 17 has died. Is there a place where young healthy people are shown to be at risk?

https://gothamist.com/news/coronavirus-statistics-tracking-epidemic-new-york

Edited by Dustbin

31 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's getting to the point where you can't even have a discussion with Trudeau supporters without the blatant hypocrisy. 

I heard he is at 74% approval right now.

People love him, it's not surprising if you find a lot that are defensive

A northeastern China province is reporting increasing cases of coronavirus

Tue 14 Apr 2020 00:23:14 GMT

Heilongjiang province borders Russia and is reporting increasing numbers of COVID-19 cases.

Suifenhe is a city in the Heilongjiang province, it has strengthened its border controls with Russia and is building a temporary hospital.

On the 9th of April China state media reported  40 new confirmed COVID-19 cases in the province. Today they are reporting 79 new cases.
  • Citing the cases as 'imported'. FWIW. 
This is worth watching developments as a potential second wave hotspot in China. 

Heilongjiang province borders Russia and is reporting increasing numbers of COVID-19 cases.