The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Great to see BC gov now wasting our taxpayers dollars on misleading ads...  

Unrealistic’: Critics slam B.C. back-to-school COVID-19 ad featuring Dr. Bonnie Henry

A new ad produced by the B.C. government featuring provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry is earning poor marks from the B.C. Teachers’ Federation.

The 30-second spot is aimed at parents and students heading back to class next month under new COVID-19 protocols.

In the ad, Henry runs through a few of the precautions that will be in place: frequent hand washing, student learning cohorts and the use of masks in some situation

Union president Teri Mooring says the advertisement doesn’t paint an accurate picture of what schools will look like.

“It saddens me that Dr. Henry was used in this ad,” she said.

“In that ad, we didn’t see 30 to 32 17-year-olds. It’s unfortunate.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/7306040/coronavirus-b-c-teachers-union-back-to-school-ad/

Edited by kingofsurrey

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

not reduced class sizes

ah OK. I thought they were considering that as well. 

I just think the complaining about the gov't is a bit much, they've done a good job on the whole. We'll see how the school stuff works out but if the summer school experience is any guide I'm hopeful that all goes well. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I just think the complaining about the gov't is a bit much, they've done a good job on the whole. We'll see how the school stuff works out but if the summer school experience is any guide I'm hopeful that all goes well. 

nope, 30 in a classroom for 6 hrs a day. Good times

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I have no problem with beaches being open.  Every beach i have been at, i have seen people social distancing quite well.

Being outdoors is much safer than indoors.  Asking young people to not socialize for 6 months is not going to work.

We have to ask young people to socialize SAFELY and social distance.   YES, warn them and then fine them if they refuse. 

Here is a few ideas i have

Increase covid testing in BC  

Mandatory mask in stores and in schools - worksites where safe  social distancing can not happen 

Reduce class sizes in Sept so social distancing can occur

Offer familes online learning opportunties - many families have immune compromised people living in the home and need this option

Shut down bars / strip clubs  - maybe bars could have outdoor patios expanded and stay open. Won't work for strip bars - LOL 

Increase restaurant outdoor patios limits / sizes - even extend their hours to help them stay open

Termperature testing at work sites / schools

Encouraging non bc tourists to stay in their own province for now

Calgary

can get a test whenever needed. Been tested twice and got results next day

mandatory masks inside

school districts giving out two masks per student that must be worn

offering online learning to those who want it

Not bad for a bunch of rednecks eh?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

nope, 30 in a classroom for 6 hrs a day. Good times

huh. It'll be interesting to see how many parents choose to keep their kids home. I know a couple of folks that are keeping their kids home for the 1st two weeks to see how it all goes first. 

Good luck to you,. 

Edited by Robert Long

Just now, Robert Long said:

huh. I'll be interesting to see how many parents choose to keep their kids home. I know a couple of folks that are keeping their kids home for the 1st two weeks to see how it all goes first. 

I know a lot of people saying they are, but I doubt they will.  I expect 90%+ attendance.

21 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Bc gov has done a complete crap job on covid in this province.   Look at current numbers 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Bc gov has done a complete crap job on covid in this province.   Look at current numbers 

meh, you're on a rant. The #1 thing is people in hospital, but thats something you never seem to talk much about. 

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

meh, you're on a rant. The #1 thing is people in hospital, but thats something you never seem to talk much about. 

Bc is now the leader in covid in canada 

Not sure where u get ur info from  lol 

13 hours ago, Robert Long said:

I tried but I can't do it, you're going back on my ignore list, you are too negative. 

I find putting certain posters on ignore has been extremely beneficial for my blood pressure.  When people are so dug in that they refuse to consider anything except their own narrative it's hard to have any sort of discussion.  Name calling and constant irrational ranting with no supporting facts makes my head hurt.  So, some posters (1) are on ignore and I'm more at peace.  Easy peasy.  

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, skategal said:

I find putting certain posters on ignore has been extremely beneficial for my blood pressure.  When people are so dug in that they refuse to consider anything except their own narrative it's hard to have any sort of discussion.  Name calling and constant irrational ranting with no supporting facts makes my head hurt.  So, some posters (1) are on ignore and I'm more at peace.  Easy peasy.  

i'm fine with constructive complaining, when people at least have an alternative. But just rant mode? nah, no time for that. 

Interesting -  i think BC only tests 4000 people per day....T

Testing for COVID-19 in Ontario

In the last 24 hours in Ontario , more than 24,900 tests were conducted.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-reports-dip-in-new-covid-19-cases-but-still-logs-more-than-100-new-infections-1.5085099

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

As a swede I'm interested how this virus i dealt with and how many young people(under 40 years) ger serious ill and need to be hospitalised. 

It seems, when I read a few posts that the virus is worse in Canada. 

Canada has had 50% more cases than Sweden... and Canada has 100% more deaths than Sweden due to Covid..

But keep in mind Canada has 400% the population of Sweden.

I think the virus / 2nd wave of Covid  is now  pretty much a serious  threat to every country's population 

Edited by kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Here in Abbotsford there was a coronavirus case Friday at the gym. Getting close to home! Literally! The gym is a 5 minute drive and I've been going there for about a decade.

Gyms and nightclubs/bars are places I've read that are spreading the virus more so than other businesses.  These places have, typically speaking, a younger clientele (20-30yo)?  My gym is supposed to be open tomorrow for the first time since March - I used to be a 5 times/per wk lifter and now I'm on the fence about going bk.