The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I should also say that our district is already seeing significant numbers of teachers already taking medical and stress leaves and my admin says our district is already wondering how to replace those teachers as we were already at critical shortage levels.  They are also seriously concerned about a severe lack of toc's..........that's going to be the thing thats really going to be the main problem

I don't think any level from parents on to educators, employers, all the way up to government have even a remote idea of how this is all going to shake out or how we're remotely going to make this work.

There's simply too many conflicting goals.

This is going to be a cluster $#@! IMO.

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think any level from parents on to educators, employers, all the way up to government have even a remote idea of how this is all going to shake out or how we're remotely going to make this work.

There's simply too many conflicting goals.

This is going to be a cluster $#@! IMO.

Absolutely, 100% agree.

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

I should also say that our district is already seeing significant numbers of teachers already taking medical and stress leaves and my admin says our district is already wondering how to replace those teachers as we were already at critical shortage levels.  They are also seriously concerned about a severe lack of toc's..........that's going to be the thing thats really going to be the main problem

Think about a TOC going into a school of 1500 kids....   the next day that TOC goes into another school of 1400....  Day 3 the TOC goes into a school of 1400.....

You get the picture...    BC Ed return to school plan makes no sense.  Just looks like the BC gov went with the cheapest option they could find....

Ontario and Quebec return to Ed plans are miles ahead of BC plans....  both of these provinces.  have online options for parents available... 

Edited by kingofsurrey

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Just looks like the BC gov went with the cheapest option they could find....

Imo it's not even the cheapest option, but it is most definitely the option that appeases the largest portion of parents that much I'm certain of.  The number of teachers and school staff in general who already have or who will ultimately end up going on leave (or calling in sick regularly) will be huge - this will end up costing districts (and therefore the government) a lot of money in the end - but that said, full-time attendance appeases the largest portion of parents so you know the government was going to go that route in September regardless of cases escalating provincialy or not...at this point it's not about safety as much as its about restoring the school system's role in supporting the economy at large. 

38 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Imo it's not even the cheapest option, but it is most definitely the option that appeases the largest portion of parents that much I'm certain of.  The number of teachers and school staff in general who already have or who will ultimately end up going on leave (or calling in sick regularly) will be huge - this will end up costing districts (and therefore the government) a lot of money in the end - but that said, full-time attendance appeases the largest portion of parents so you know the government was going to go that route in September regardless of cases escalating provincialy or not...at this point it's not about safety as much as its about restoring the school system's role in supporting the economy at large. 

When the BC government supports Alberta tourist coming here and  glory holes over mandatory masks and socially distancing....... you know this will not end well 

Forcing kids from immune compromised families to attend schools in cohorts of 120 kids seems very insensitive.  No other province in Canada is doing this.  In BC it sounds like it is come to full time school in Sept or else you lose your spot for the year...   Heartless. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

49 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

It's already a huge problem in my district and we haven't even started up yet

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's already a huge problem in my district and we haven't even started up yet

There will not be enough teachers in BC this year to make the system function is  a real concern 

Edited by kingofsurrey

MONTREAL -- About 20 teachers from a Quebec high school are currently in quarantine after two positive cases of COVID-19 were detected among educators at the school. 

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/20-quebec-teachers-in-quarantine-after-two-test-positive-for-covid-19-1.5083113

Edited by kingofsurrey

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst

Is it safe to go back to school? I’m not convinced it is. I wouldn’t be comfortable working in a public school right now, or sending my kids to one. Risk tolerance for catching COVID varies, and I don’t want to get it. Period. The plans seem to assume there will be some spread and that may be okay for some people, but it’s not a risk I’m willing to take for my family at this point of the pandemic.

We need to see smaller classes, an assurance of physical distancing in classrooms, better ventilation, and remote learning and teaching options for anyone who prefers that. I’ll have my fingers crossed no COVID-19 outbreaks occur in schools, but we need to prepare for that possibility and be ready to shift back to more remote learning if things get bad. Good luck everyone. Stay safe.

Patti Bacchus is the Georgia Straight K-12 education columnist. She was chair of the Vancouver school board from 2008 to 2014.

No one should be surprised.....   BC's covid plan is the worst in Canada. 

I saw this on twitter and i liked it...

Be kind, be calm, be safe" is starting to sound like the new "thoughts and prayers". We need more science-backed policies and less platitudes. More tests, more masks, more distance. #covid19bc #bced #bcpoli

Or this one..

#bcpoli With these kinds of numbers the chances of getting infected are higher than ever before in pandemic. We are higher than Ontario today. Take good care of yourself. Mask when out. Distance. Wash hands. The government is paralysed. 

Or this one..

Dr. Rajiv Jhangiani

@thatpsychprof
Terribly disappointed at the forced non-choice being imposed on BC parents, between easily-popped school bubbles deceptively sold as being small and having to withdraw from the school system entirely. #BCed #BCpoli 1/n
Edited by kingofsurrey

42 minutes ago, gurn said:

Nope, but it could be better.

And more people could follow the existing plan, rather than ignoring it; that would be a great help.

Nope.  The BC plan invited Albertans to holiday here... and ecourage BC citizens to use glory holes...

BC Plan was full of mixed messages to BC citizens also and frequently downplayed covid risk to youth. 

Parks = dangerous

School classroom with no windows...  30 kids with no masks and zero social distancing = SAFE 

Yah, great plan.

Every province in Canada has a better plan than BC.  BC has more infections today than Ontario.. no ?

Edited by kingofsurrey

35 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Anyone got a schedule for when we will have to go into lockdown?

Oh no... the toilet paper hoarders will be heading out to Costco today after work....

If we go back to another lockdown ... i wonder if the Green Party will ditch the  NDP  and move BC to a new election.

Edited by kingofsurrey