The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, Duodenum said:

Get well soon bishop (and wife). 

Thank you.

Just body aches and a bit of a headache.

I do notice that my coffee has very little taste right now. Like my tongue is taking the day off and I sort of just sense the flavour as it hits my throat. 

Obviously hope this is the worst of it. We're both double vaxxed.

• Huggy Bear 2
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, stawns said:

first off, what is the context of each of thse statements?  What were the questions?  What were the sentences before and after?  Context mtters.  Second, those statements were pretty much true at the time, the vaccines were developed for the original strain and proved to be very effective at stopping infection and tht has continued through many variants and though delta reduced that, it was still very effective at preventing infection and transmission, as the numbers in BC show us.

Omicron is a new ball game, and that's not news.  The medical community has been telling us, all along,that a vaccine evading variant was going to come along eventually aand there wasn't much we could do about it.  My question to you is, how does that negate everything good that the vaccines did to minimize infection and transmission before omicron?  

image.jpeg.01289183c85624606e78c170d6e584d3.jpeg

I guess he didn’t get that memo?

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is a great analogy.

Fake news.

The vaccinations have propelled the spread and put far more folks in danger then any other time during this pandemic. 3000 cases per day that they can even count...  

The vaccination does ZERO to keep anyone else safe besides yourself, and the evidence is even showing this to be false as time goes on.  Looks to be a future of boosters every 3 months for life....to keep you "safe"

Edited by CanuckGAME
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

I've been spending the last couple of days catching up on this thread and although I am admittedly no expert on infectious diseases, it's seems to me that some folks are making a very basic mistake when displaying their skepticism....

I'm seeing a lot of comments about how because of the current rate of Omicron infections that the mask mandates, social distancing, lockdowns and vaccinations, "didn't work". However, that ignores the fact that Omicron is basically a new virus, one that the current vaccines seem to be only partly successful at containing.

My understanding is that for a virus to mutate, it needs a host. I would hazard a guess that these mutations took place far more often in the unvaccinated than they did the vaccinated. (If @Jaimito is still active ITT, maybe he could confirm or refute this)

So the measures listed above were successful.....with Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta. The jury is still out on Omicron, but it appears as though it's less likely to result in hospitalization and/or death. However, it also appears as though it's still too early to say that with a high degree of confidence, so a cautious approach is prudent.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Fake news.

The vaccinations have propelled the spread and put far more folks in danger then any other time during this pandemic. 3000 cases per day that they can even count...  

The vaccination does ZERO to keep anyone else safe besides yourself, and the evidence is even showing this to be false as time goes on.  Looks to be a future of boosters every 3 months for life....to keep you "safe"

image.gif.de1567d296040b760b4ab39df247be2c.gif

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Not taking sides here....

Do you have data on other issues facing Canadians?

Maybe death by suicide or overdoses to compare?

What is the death rate for a normal flu?

Only curious.

Thanks.

Those numbers are far worse. It's all bad. The mental health issues to come out of this are going to last a lifetime for many.

20 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've been spending the last couple of days catching up on this thread and although I am admittedly no expert on infectious diseases, it's seems to me that some folks are making a very basic mistake when displaying their skepticism....

I'm seeing a lot of comments about how because of the current rate of Omicron infections that the mask mandates, social distancing, lockdowns and vaccinations, "didn't work". However, that ignores the fact that Omicron is basically a new virus, one that the current vaccines seem to be only partly successful at containing.

My understanding is that for a virus to mutate, it needs a host. I would hazard a guess that these mutations took place far more often in the unvaccinated than they did the vaccinated. (If @Jaimito is still active ITT, maybe he could confirm or refute this)

So the measures listed above were successful.....with Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta. The jury is still out on Omicron, but it appears as though it's less likely to result in hospitalization and/or death. However, it also appears as though it's still too early to say that with a high degree of confidence, so a cautious approach is prudent.

How do you come to this conclusion when vaccinated people can still carry and pass on this virus?

Also which group of people brought this strain and spread it across the globe?  Sure wasnt the unvaccinated folks who arent allowed to travel.

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You haven't heard how leaky vaccines encourage mutation so the virus can propagate? You know, only the mutants survive, then they take over?

I think the vaccines have worked to deliver us to a less deadly variant, but they seem to be rapidly losing their efficacy. The Pfizer booster is only 70% effective, and just 35% after 10 weeks. https://www.popsci.com/science/booster-protection-against-omicron-drops/

58 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Not taking sides here....

Do you have data on other issues facing Canadians?

Maybe death by suicide or overdoses to compare?

What is the death rate for a normal flu?

Only curious.

Thanks.

Based on 2020 data, many jurisdictions, including BC, reported that Covid killed more people than the flu killed in 10 years. https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-has-recorded-more-deaths-from-covid-19-than-10-years-of-the-flu-1.5255084

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2778234

Here is US data from 2020.  2021 data coming soon,

2020usdejvp210048t1_1620430592.92326.png

• Thanks 3
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Based on 2020 data, many jurisdictions, including BC, reported that Covid killed more people than the flu killed in 10 years. https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-has-recorded-more-deaths-from-covid-19-than-10-years-of-the-flu-1.5255084

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2778234

Here is US data from 2020.  2021 data coming soon,

2020usdejvp210048t1_1620430592.92326.png

I would read the 'b' on there. None of the others have those. 

1 minute ago, AbbyNux said:

Seriously?

yep.

I havent got a test yet though but all the symptoms fit the bill.

I'm double vaxxed as is my wife but I did see my bro and fam on boxing day, which is where we think we got it. My bro is in his 50's, overweight smoker and not vaxxed. I'm a bit concerned if he contracted it. 

• Huggy Bear 4

20 minutes ago, Gatzkek said:

You haven't heard how leaky vaccines encourage mutation so the virus can propagate? You know, only the mutants survive, then they take over?

I think the vaccines have worked to deliver us to a less deadly variant, but they seem to be rapidly losing their efficacy. The Pfizer booster is only 70% effective, and just 35% after 10 weeks. https://www.popsci.com/science/booster-protection-against-omicron-drops/

Have you heard that all the variants we've dealt with emerged prior to mass vaccination, just as mass vaccination started, or in a very low vaccinated population.  South Africa has less than 27% fully vaccinated (31.8% partial, 26.6% fully).  So, your premise hasn't actually been demonstrated by reality

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1