The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

There is a reason his podcast is considered a comedy podcast. Time after time he says things like "I'm dumb don't listen to me" and "it's just jokes folks". Yet he knows impressionable young men will take his word as law. It's his responsibility to use his platform for good, not spread miss information. That's why I could no longer listen to him.

When young we got onto fights (behind the church by the bicycle rack) because some kids believed pro wrestling was real and not planned out.  Lots of kids started getting hurt trying to copy the wrestlers’ moves.  So pro wrestling said to all they were a show, entertainment.   (Seth) Rogan is where pro wrestling was years ago.  Anyone with half a brain knows it’s made up for entertainment.  It’s show, but (sadly) there will be those who get into fights defending the guy as real.  As we see here. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Master Mind said:

There's a weird hatred towards Rogan in this thread.

Perhaps in part due to how some sites like CNN portray him. Or maybe because he asks questions about certain topics like covid's origin (which is often taboo for some reason).

Like him or not, I think his style of interviews will eventually become the full norm. For example, listening to his Bernie Sanders episode, Bernie is able more fully flesh out his thoughts. That gives me a more accurate view on his opinions vs the shouting match that I'd otherwise see in a debate.

I personally don't hate Rogan. I feel I should point it out. I just hate the presentation of inaccurate information. :)

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, AbbyNux said:

Your post is disliked by DLC but I agree. I used to only watch CNN. I switched to MSNBC, but they were worse. Now I watch Saagar and Ball and a few other outlets. 

CNN is just weird entertainment. 

CNN has been bad since the 90s especially with their war coverage. Fox was even worst. 

NPR was better, before I decided to cut out the news. Much happier ever since. 

Sorry @-DLC- didn't mean to make fun of people that enjoy CNN, it's just not my cup of tea. Joe Rogan is not any kind of authority on anything really other then MMA.  Nobody should take anything he says as gospel, but he does get interesting guests who get 3 hours to speak their mind. Elon Musk interview was fascinating and scary at the same time. 

1 minute ago, Gatzkek said:

I'm supposed to support your argument? That's funny.

You are the one with the argument about the Rogan show. This is your argument not mine.

Nice try though. Trying to be a politician here or something?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I personally don't hate Rogan. I feel I should point it out. I just hate the presentation of inaccurate information. :)

Unfortunately you'd be hard pressed to find any show that doesn't have inaccurate information at times.

Hence why I think it's unwise to consider a source as absolute truth, regardless of who/what the source is. Not saying you do that, but I'm sure you're aware there are some that do.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Master Mind said:

Unfortunately you'd be hard pressed to find any show that doesn't have inaccurate information at times.

Hence why I think it's unwise to consider a source as absolute truth, regardless of who/what the source is. Not saying you do that, but I'm sure you're aware there are some that do.

Of course. It's also why it's never a bad idea to have sources from multiple types of outlets if you really care about a subject.

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Perhaps in part due to how some sites like CNN portray him. Or maybe because he asks questions about certain topics like covid's origin (which is often taboo for some reason).

Like him or not, I think his style of interviews will eventually become the full norm. For example, listening to his Bernie Sanders episode, Bernie is able more fully flesh out his thoughts. That gives me a more accurate view on his opinions vs the shouting match that I'd otherwise see in a debate.

Or the highly edited stuff they show on all major networks. 

Then there's the issue of networks having an agenda to follow along a certain discourse. 

The problem with people listening to Joe Rogan's shows is that some take it as gospel. People need context but that's a lot of work and not very appealing. We're all of the "faster, more concise, less attention" types especially when it comes to YouTube viewership.  

Btw for all the people that still watch the major US networks: how can you stand watching hours and hours of non-stop negative news? 

I was in a restaurant a few weeks ago and for an hour the news kept going from scary Covid news to a rape to a murder to more scary Covid news. 

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Of course. It's also why it's never a bad idea to have sources from multiple types of outlets if you really care about a subject.

Or just ask Vintage.... He's my source ;)

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

Or the highly edited stuff they show on all major networks. 

Then there's the issue of networks having an agenda to follow along a certain discourse. 

The problem with people listening to Joe Rogan's shows is that some take it as gospel. People need context but that's a lot of work and not very appealing. We're all of the "faster, more concise, less attention" types especially when it comes to YouTube viewership.  

Btw for all the people that still watch the major US networks: how can you stand watching hours and hours of non-stop negative news? 

I was in a restaurant a few weeks ago and for an hour the news kept going from scary Covid news to a rape to a murder to more scary Covid news. 

Unfortunately, the bolded isn't just with the Rogan show. It's with all media sources. People are lazy in the end. Left wing, right wing, it doesn't matter.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

He's an excellent UFC commentator.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Again...putting strong words out there to represent others' ideas.  People lose credibility that way.

I also don't hate Joe Rogan...I don't even know much about him beyond being the host of Fear Factor.  A show that was based on generating followers/supporters through...fear and shock.  Surprise.

There are a lot of gullible people out there who "trust" those they "know" and are familiar to them.  Celebrity status is proving to be a bit concerning in the US...you just have to look at the former President to see how "followings" can develop into much more.  Some use that celebrity as an in and then run with it.

Worship.  It's kind of scary actually.  Cult like.  Rally the crowds then you can sell them anything without question.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

John Garrett is my kind of Nutritionist....

....he thinks ketchup is a vegetable....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup_as_a_vegetable

The ketchup as a vegetable controversy refers to proposed United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) regulations, late in the Presidency of Jimmy Carter and early in the presidency of Ronald Reagan, that intended to provide more flexibility in meal planning to local school lunch administrators coping with National School Lunch Plan subsidy cuts enacted by the Omnibus Regulation Acts of 1980 and 1981.[1][2] The regulations allowed administrators the opportunity to credit items not explicitly listed that met nutritional requirements. While ketchup was not mentioned in the original regulations, pickle relish was used as an example of an item that could count as a vegetable.[3]

A similar controversy arose in 2011, when Congress passed a bill prohibiting the USDA from increasing the amount of tomato paste required to constitute a vegetable; the bill allowed pizza with two tablespoons (30 mL) of tomato paste to qualify as a vegetable.

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Can everyone just stop posting in here for a bit? 

I can't find the latest ICU numbers that Vintage usually posts because of the ridiculous amount of posts. 

11 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Or just ask Vintage.... He's my source ;)

I think I've found Vintage's agent.   :towel:

Just now, -DLC- said:

Again...putting strong words out there to represent others' ideas.  People lose credibility that way.

I also don't hate Joe Rogan...I don't even know much about him beyond being the host of Fear Factor.  A show that was based on generating followers/supporters through...fear and shock.  Surprise.

Of course, and that's what initially got me back in this thread a page or 2 ago because I disagree with the wording of things. Too make people want to "be right" rather than actually understand what right is to begin with. People also fear being wrong because it was engrained in our brains as kids that being wrong is somehow bad.

In my opinion, a lot of this is unfortunate as this pandemic has made a lot of people look bad  that would otherwise be considered generally good people. I've listened to a few Rogan podcasts a couple of years ago and enjoyed them, but yeah.... the pandemic for whatever reason seems to want to bring out the worst in some.

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Of course, and that's what initially got me back in this thread a page or 2 ago because I disagree with the wording of things. Too make people want to "be right" rather than actually understand what right is to begin with. People also fear being wrong because it was engrained in our brains as kids that being wrong is somehow bad.

In my opinion, a lot of this is unfortunate as this pandemic has made a lot of people look bad  that would otherwise be considered generally good people. I've listened to a few Rogan podcasts a couple of years ago and enjoyed them, but yeah.... the pandemic for whatever reason seems to want to bring out the worst in some.

I feel like this is based on a common denominator.  Everyone is tired of COVID.

But some realize it's not quite "over" yet and that we have to at least try to keep the numbers from flooding our healthcare system.

The other group is looking for reasons not to.

Those who ARE going through all the motions are also tired of making sacrifices that need the support of the majority.  That our work can be undone.

I feel like respecting both sides is important...I, for one, get it.  We're all fed up with this crap.  But to ignore the evidence that shows spikes lead to hospitalizations and having to make tough choices on who gets care and what is postponed is selfish in my view.

I also understand that small businesses are suffering and inconsistencies in what is being shut down versus what is permitted to stay operational are frustrating.  But I truly feel that the powers that be are trying to do the minimum while still fighting the spread.  It's not the most effective way, but it's about knowing what you're up against and how peopel are resisting and trying to strike a balance.  "Some" not all things.  To get some on board because you know not all will be.

• Cheers 3
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, bolt said:

So at what stage is this endemic.  Covid 0 Is impossible.  That was the question.  My point was if your fearing covid so much that you have to test twice a day with 0 symptoms we're obviously not done with it...

when infections and hospitalisations are low and disease mild, across the board and we don't see significant strains on the medical and educational systems.  That's my opinion at least

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3