The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Omicron presenting mild symptoms in New York:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/20/covid-nyc-expects-omicron-to-rapidly-surge-but-peak-in-weeks-mayor-says.html

Doctor Bonnie said everyone in BC will be exposed to Covid.  Those who are vaccinated (in the vast majority of cases) will present with mild to no symptoms, as being seen in other areas with Omicron.  But we need to slow down this Omicron wave, because there are still a lot of us who aren’t vaccinated, whether by choice or some other reason (like opportunity). This Omicron wave is the beginning of the end, but there’s a ways to go yet to get to that end.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Just got back from my last gym visit for however long this goes on.

I counted 8 people in the whole facility which is usual at 6am as it's rural. It's the cleanest place I go to. Masks, wiping down before and after use of equipment, no groups classes. Sure is nice that these sweeping restrictions are in place. What about private bookings? what about capacity limits? 

I'm going to start working out at at Sport Check in the mall. They have quite a bit of equipment. I hope their security are tough, I like good workouts.

Wont be going to restaurants though, or a Nucks game for that matter. For me its the washrooms. Since people are eating and drinking lots, usually every patron uses the bathroom at least once or twice. Those gross little toilets have got be a main rooms for spreading the virus. 

I am pissed. 

I am at my community gym now there are 4 people here lol In a huge facility. Sad day for staff here. At least the pool will he open back to lots of laps.

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Just got back from my last gym visit for however long this goes on.

I counted 8 people in the whole facility which is usual at 6am as it's rural. It's the cleanest place I go to. Masks, wiping down before and after use of equipment, no groups classes. Sure is nice that these sweeping restrictions are in place. What about private bookings? what about capacity limits? 

I'm going to start working out at at Sport Check in the mall. They have quite a bit of equipment. I hope their security are tough, I like good workouts.

Wont be going to restaurants though, or a Nucks game for that matter. For me its the washrooms. Since people are eating and drinking lots, usually every patron uses the bathroom at least once or twice. Those gross little toilets have got be a main rooms for spreading the virus. 

I am pissed. 

It's been well documented that fitness centres have been, in several instances, areas of high spread.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

It's been well documented that fitness centres have been, in several instances, areas of high spread.  

What about restaurants? how many of those have had cases?

Where the offending gyms following the guidelines at the time?

Do they even track the Mall?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

You're preaching to the choir, except I don't see it that gyms should be open because restaurants and malls are.  I see it that restaurants and malls should be closed for the time being as well, until we know how this variant is going to hit us.

Thanks.

I'm just upset. 

I agree with you. If we are going to do it, do it right.

Circuit breaker. 

• Vintage 3

11 hours ago, stawns said:

You don't see how a gym, with people breathing hard, is different?  

You don't see how people drinking, without a mask on; with an average turnover time of 50 minutes per table throughout a day from various parts of the nation during the largest hospitality season of the year is worse than a gym?

My gym, we have 6 feet between machines, we're hyper vigilant on mask use we take appointments to keep numbers down and haven't offered classes in a long while.

If you're somehow suggesting that a gym like that with those restrictions is somehow going to be more of a risk than a pub/bar or restaurant under these current mandates than I am sorry sir we've lost the conversation.

Because in 3 weeks when numbers are exploding we know full well it won't be due to gyms.  Much like in the summer where it was found that bars and restaurants were one of the major causes of transmission and not...gyms

Again and I mean this in all seriousness, how on earth can you conflate the two; or suggest a gym under those guidelines will be more of a risk when the only thing being asked a facility like this; is that they limit table numbers to 6?

image.thumb.png.59a231cd327fe2c43bd20fbfd1e6d6af.png

Edited by Warhippy
  • Vintage 2

Just now, stawns said:

Totally understandable, it's incredibly frustrating and disheartening

I spoke with a lady today. She's an inspiration. She is in her late 80's and I see her at the gym everyday. She had a new PB on bench the other day!

Her son actually works on covid research. He told her, as you have been predicting, that this wave will come.

Today it was heart breaking. She lives alone and the gym is everything to her, she see's the weather is going to get cold so is scared to go for walks as she fell a few weeks ago and busted up her face. She fears the ice.  

I feel bad for her. The mental health toll that taking her exercise away will do is hard to think about.

Meanwhile both my families plan to have big gatherings...I feel like I dont know what to do or how to think about things anymore.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks.

I'm just upset. 

I agree with you. If we are going to do it, do it right.

Circuit breaker. 

I think we all are getting to that point.

The good news coming out of South Africa is that they are already on the downslope and it is very rapid.  Rapid rise, rapid decline and hospitalizations have been dropping.  

Ultimately looks like this wave should be shorter than the previous ones and that immunizations are holding with the vast majority of the ill being unimmunized.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

You don't see how people drinking, without a mask on; with an average turnover time of 50 minutes per table throughout a day from various parts of the nation during the largest hospitality season of the year is worse than a gym?

My gym, we have 6 feet between machines, we're hyper vigilant on mask use we take appointments to keep numbers down and haven't offered classes in a long while.

If you're somehow suggesting that a gym like that with those restrictions is somehow going to be more of a risk than a pub/bar or restaurant under these current mandates than I am sorry sir we've lost the conversation.

Because in 3 weeks when numbers are exploding we know full well it won't be due to gyms.  Much like in the summer where it was found that bars and restaurants were one of the major causes of transmission and not...gyms

Look up, I don't think restaurants, malls etc should be open.

That said, this virus is aerosol transmitted and surely you can see how working out and breathing hard and extreme physical exertion would put more aerosol into the air can't you?  

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I spoke with a lady today. She's an inspiration. She is in her late 80's and I see her at the gym everyday. She had a new PB on bench the other day!

Her son actually works on covid research. He told her, as you have been predicting, that this wave will come.

Today it was heart breaking. She lives alone and the gym is everything to her, she see's the weather is going to get cold so is scared to go for walks as she fell a few weeks ago and busted up her face. She fears the ice.  

I feel bad for her. The mental health toll that taking her exercise away will do is hard to think about.

Meanwhile both my families plan to have big gatherings...I feel like I dont know what to do or how to think about things anymore.

I doubt you'd find anyone who would deny the mental health impact of this pandemic........you certainly wouldn't get an argument from me.  But, this is the way things are, this is the reality of how our world is right now and we have to live in and deal with that reality.  

This variant is said to be as infectious as measles, one of the most infectious diseases in the history of humankind.  If it turns out to cause severe disease, closing gyms is going to be the least of our worries.........were going to be under total lockdown most likely

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think we're all feeling that way and I'm sure we're all having deep seeded PTSD, how could we not?  This has been something no one alive (almost) has ever experienced.  Everytime we start feeling hopeful it kicks us in the nuts again, it's incredibly disheartening

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

A few pages back I posted that the new shutdowns don't affect me personally. However, my grandkids have been shut out. A hockey tournament between Christmas and New Year, as well as dance theatre for almost a month. It's the cost mostly that bothers me, as both programs are very expensive, as they both lose. Almost a month of practices and preparations for a dance recital in June, suspended. Hockey can proceed with practices, but no games, I assume. Yet, the Canucks can play in front of 9000 fans, with very few of them fully masked 100% of the time, and kids in minor hockey whose parents are all fully vaccinated and show proof to enter an arena can't play tournaments. 

I wouldn't want the job, and for one I'm no where near qualified, but this is confusing. Dr Henry and her staff have done an excellent job dealing with this mess, and hopefully this is the last time we have to shut things down. But, when not enough people in the Province or World wide are taking this seriously enough, I have a suspicion we will be doing this all over again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

A few pages back I posted that the new shutdowns don't affect me personally. However, my grandkids have been shut out. A hockey tournament between Christmas and New Year, as well as dance theatre for almost a month. It's the cost mostly that bothers me, as both programs are very expensive, as they both lose. Almost a month of practices and preparations for a dance recital in June, suspended. Hockey can proceed with practices, but no games, I assume. Yet, the Canucks can play in front of 9000 fans, with very few of them fully masked 100% of the time, and kids in minor hockey whose parents are all fully vaccinated and show proof to enter an arena can't play tournaments. 

I wouldn't want the job, and for one I'm no where near qualified, but this is confusing. Dr Henry and her staff have done an excellent job dealing with this mess, and hopefully this is the last time we have to shut things down. But, when not enough people in the Province or World wide are taking this seriously enough, I have a suspicion we will be doing this all over again.

If this variant hits the way it's expected to hit, we won't be seeing fans at Canucks games, there won't be amateur sports, recitals or anything for that matter, imo.  At least not until they can determine the severity of the variant.

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I was late to that conversation and yes I agree they should be closed.

My source of anger is the glaring and blatant hypocrisy and seemingly mindless approach to these new lockdowns.  Again, I can not stress enough.

My facility.  Masks.  Always.  Appointment only.  6000 SQ FT, maximum of 20 people in building.  Clean downs mandatory.  No showers.  No linens.

BUT!

We can go to a theater, dank room on an incline with an updraft at 50% capacity.

That image I showed means only 6 to a table.  BUT!  A large party can book two tables and there's no mandate on sitting on both sides of said table

Canucks games and concerts capped at 50%.  Still over 10k in a building with THOSE washrooms but it's all good.

Malls, no changes at all during covid.  Orchard Park in Kelowna?  Metrotown?  Good luck finding consistent mask wearing or sanitizing there

I am a business owner.  I also work PT at my gym.  Based on the nature of my business being strictly event coverage during the winter/xmas/new year season I am officially out 2 sources of income.  Again.  I have had my ass handed to me for following the rules for 2 years.  In a normal year I'll shoot upwards of 35-40 weddings at an average $3500+ price point.  I'll do 15 recurring advertisement campaigns for local businesses.  I'll do Santa photos and more.  ALL gone.  Literally have given back close to $30,000 in deposits since Covid started.  Wrote down a $16,000 loss last year alone.  Will write down possibly up to $7000 more this year + any covid/CERB pay back I owe the government.

I have done EVERYTHING they have asked.  We have suffered collectively and were promised at that 80%+ coverage from vaccinations they would not lock us down again.  The gym is my only get away on a day to day basis.  Not just for mindless employment but for release.

I'm more than pissed bud.  My gym is possibly the safest venue I can think of under our guidelines and now even that's gone.  This is the crap that pushes people over the edge.  Want to lose the goodwill of people?  Want to push them in to the screw you Bonnie camp?  Want to shatter small business owners?  How about damage people's mental health and financial stability.

Well, I mean it's all good.  I can drink my face off at the tap at a pub next to 5 other strangers.  But as long as I don't go for a spin at my gym it's all good *sarcasm*

Ya mate, no argument you can levy here right now.  I'm pissed and there's nothing I can do about it except watch the lower mainland and alberta swarm our region for the holidays and get punished again further in 3 weeks

I totally get it, but I think the fitness industry is taking this as a personal attack from government, it's not.  This variant is unlike any of the others that have come before it and has the potential to cut a swath through our society unlike anything any of us has ever seen.  They are taking steps to mitigate that risk as much as they can, and the establishments targetted this time around have been known areas of high spread with past variants.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

They are taking steps to mitigate that risk as much as they can, and the establishments targetted this time around have been known areas of high spread with past variants.

Are they though?

6 people to a table.  All 6 can be on one side of the table.  Large groups can book multiple tables.  No masks required at tables.  No restricted capacity.  50 minute turn around time per table.  Single largest hospitality month of the year.  Tens of if not hundreds of thousands of people moving around from province to province to see family.  

I mean you make that statement, but if they were serious about mitigating the risk......

image.thumb.png.9df7174d62e286129f16f4cb571de834.png

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Are they though?

6 people to a table.  All 6 can be on one side of the table.  Large groups can book multiple tables.  No masks required at tables.  No restricted capacity.  50 minute turn around time per table.  Single largest hospitality month of the year.  Tens of if not hundreds of thousands of people moving around from province to province to see family.  

I mean you make that statement, but if they were serious about mitigating the risk......

image.thumb.png.9df7174d62e286129f16f4cb571de834.png

While I agree, those people aren't breathing heavily like you do in a gym and that's the difference

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Again and I mean this in all seriousness, how on earth can you conflate the two; or suggest a gym under those guidelines will be more of a risk when the only thing being asked a facility like this; is that they limit table numbers to 6?

image.thumb.png.59a231cd327fe2c43bd20fbfd1e6d6af.png

I'll say it again....the government supplies restaurants with booze.....they don't supply gyms with anything.

Don't get me wrong something is needed I just see one massive conflict of interest.

• Upvote 1