The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

I'm sure their death toll will ramp up soon but currently the case-death ratio for USA isn't so bad in comparison.  Canada is better of course. The China stat line is just a joke.

I assume he wants to amplify that they have done the most tests as a reason to why they have the most confirmed total cases.

image.thumb.png.d72090d199c90c918bbcda060aa5cc0a.png

No bloody way China has numbers like that.  Like at all

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Oliewud said:

As people seek out information about the spread of COVID-19, hackers are circulating fake dashboard that purport to show maps tracking the spread of coronavirus but that actually infect people's computers with malware when opened.

The tactic starts with hackers circulating links to malicious websites disguised as COVID-19 maps, either on social media or through misleading emails.

To avoid the malware, people are advised to stick to verified COVID-19 tracking maps, and to always use a VPN or proxy.

https://vpn4test.org/

And thats why you just got to verified sources rather than just whatever google pops up with. 

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

This is particularly sick when you realize that the hotels on the strip are empty.

See, now here's where 1 of the hotels could come out on top if they wanted. Imagine the publicity if they allowed this to happen. I'd go there next time I was in Vegas.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Just wait until the USA starts getting overloaded in their hospitals, then s*** is going to hit the fan down there, thats scary.  Right now, like Canada, we are doing ok with hospitals, but talking with a buddy who works at the hospital, he's afraid for about 2 weeks from now if things start going south and they will be really screwed.

Reports of US hospitals turning people away with little to no coverage to die

Cannot report validity but is reported numerous times

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-teenager-death-california-health-insurance-care-emergency-room-covid-19-a9429946.html

https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/17-year-old-dies-of-coronavirus-was-turned-away-for-lacking-insurance/

19 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

I've seen this reporting. The answer appears to be these are business lines which were not needed with business almost entirely curtailed. Same with the land lines. If you are stuck at home just keep the cell connection. Seems plausible. I guess we'll have the answer if these lines are reactivated or not.

Still it is a tad far fetched to think 21 million people died in China. Even in China it would be near impossible to hide a 21 Megadeath event.

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

So if true, this is scary...

• Cheers 1

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/opinions/history-verdict-on-trump-devastating-dantonio/index.html

I think the thing that disturbs me most about Trump is that he is so divisive, which is not helpful in a time of crises.  The federal and state officials do not present as a united front and the ongoing politicking leaves the average citizen doubting the honesty and trustworthiness of their governments.

In a crises, I prefer the united front being shown by the Canadian officials.  It leaves me with the impression that everyone is working for a common purpose and their is no place for politics.  Even the official opposition of Canada has chosen to take a less vocal approach during this most difficult time.

I am very pleased with the lead taken by health minister Dix and health officer Dr. Henry.  They always present themselves in a calm, professional manner, while (tirelessly) sharing important information and explanations. 

Although I am not a big fan of Trudeau, I do think he works well with the team and has allowed each province the authority to process the government's mandate(s) as they see fit.  I also believe that Trudeau is a very compassionate man who loves his country and its people. To  me, that is truly an important characteristic for a leader during this crises.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

but "choice" Hip, "choice" - some choice. 

5 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

This is particularly sick when you realize that the hotels on the strip are empty.

Here’s a great time to reprioritize our priorities.

But alas, I fear when they press the go button, within a week, pollution, bullying, economic slavery, debt collecting and prison time will resume.

I guess Trudeau listened to the "experts" for this as well?

LILLEY: MPs take a pay raise while raising your taxes during a crisis

Talk about being tone deaf.

MPs, who fled Ottawa over concerns about COVID-19 on March 13, will pocket a pay raise on April 1, the same day many Canadians will be wondering how to make rent or mortgage payments. It’s also the same day the carbon tax goes up.

How’s that for a double whammy?

MPs currently have a base salary of $178,900. That doesn’t include their housing allowance for their time in Ottawa or the per diems that they get to cover meals while on government business.

It doesn’t cover extra pay for sitting on a committee, chairing a committee or being a cabinet minister — that will net you an extra $85,500 yearly.

Well, add another roughly $2,800 to their annual salaries.

For the Prime Minister, who earns double what an MP makes, his annual salary of $357,800 is about to go up by almost $5,700.

Now in the grand scheme of things where the government was sending money out the door faster than they could print it even beyond the COVID-19 crisis, this raise doesn’t add up to much.

In light of the COVID-19 crisis, it makes no sense and has them all looking a little out of touch.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau seemed surprised that the annual raise would be an issue when I asked him about it on Monday.

“I haven’t heard the Parliament of Canada having those discussions, but I’m sure they will reflect on it. Now that you’ve asked the question,” Trudeau said.

Doubtful.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-mps-take-a-pay-raise-while-raising-your-taxes-during-a-crisis

But carry on thinking that Trudeau is a great Prime Minister.

:emot-parrot:

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sad.....

The worse part of this is, they think there doing a good thing.

Murikins are really starting to get to me.

I see one USer tank here and I’m firing back.