The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Bad optics (even if it's just an already scheduled annual increase) but a bit disceptive post implying the MPs just voted themselves a raise (they shouldn've passed an emergency vote to delay the raise).

If they wanted to make a grand gesture they would all take 50% pay cuts during this time.

I wouldn’t expect any political party to vote on that though.

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I guess Trudeau listened to the "experts" for this as well?

LILLEY: MPs take a pay raise while raising your taxes during a crisis

Talk about being tone deaf.

MPs, who fled Ottawa over concerns about COVID-19 on March 13, will pocket a pay raise on April 1, the same day many Canadians will be wondering how to make rent or mortgage payments. It’s also the same day the carbon tax goes up.

How’s that for a double whammy?

MPs currently have a base salary of $178,900. That doesn’t include their housing allowance for their time in Ottawa or the per diems that they get to cover meals while on government business.

It doesn’t cover extra pay for sitting on a committee, chairing a committee or being a cabinet minister — that will net you an extra $85,500 yearly.

Well, add another roughly $2,800 to their annual salaries.

For the Prime Minister, who earns double what an MP makes, his annual salary of $357,800 is about to go up by almost $5,700.

Now in the grand scheme of things where the government was sending money out the door faster than they could print it even beyond the COVID-19 crisis, this raise doesn’t add up to much.

In light of the COVID-19 crisis, it makes no sense and has them all looking a little out of touch.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau seemed surprised that the annual raise would be an issue when I asked him about it on Monday.

“I haven’t heard the Parliament of Canada having those discussions, but I’m sure they will reflect on it. Now that you’ve asked the question,” Trudeau said.

Doubtful.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-mps-take-a-pay-raise-while-raising-your-taxes-during-a-crisis

But carry on thinking that Trudeau is a great Prime Minister.

:emot-parrot:

I have a question for you.

When was the decision made to raise the salaries for MPs?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

:lol:

Yes,we only discuss american politics here in Canada.

There is discussion about Canadian politics going on in here actually.

Problem is its mostly the same whiny Albertan complaining about pipelines every other post.

• Haha 3

'We need to do better': Victoria police shut down multiple weekend parties

VICTORIA -- Victoria’s top police officer is pleading with people to stop having parties and follow physical distancing orders after police broke-up multiple parties over the weekend.

Victoria Police Chief Del Manak said police officers were called to nine noise complaints, including several parties and other gatherings, over the weekend.

The gatherings took place across the region, including at Saxe Point Park. Police say the party-goers were all in their 40's or younger.

The largest gathering was a group of 12 people, said police.

“We need to do better,” said Manak.

Police officers told each group of people that they were putting their loved ones and the wider community at risk by gathering together.

“The first line of defense against COVID-19 is social and physical distancing,” said Manak. “Please, think of the greater good.”

Manak adds that police officers will soon be able to ticket people who gather in groups, but says he hopes it does not come to that.

Meanwhile, B.C.’s provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said on Monday that even small groups, gathering inside, are a risk.

“[A ban on gatherings larger than 50 people] does not mean you can have 49 people at a house party,” said Henry.

“Those are the situations that cause this virus to spread and it is going to spread to the people closest to us.”

Henry said people need to maintain physical distancing, particularly in the coming weeks to curb teh spread of COVID-19.

On March 22, Victoria police were also called to break-up a house party in the 800-block of Phoenix Street.

Police were responding to a noise complaint around 10 p.m. and found a group of people having a house party.

“Some of the party-goers were undeterred, mistakenly believing their youth made them immune to the virus,” said Victoria police at the time.

Police said no one was arrested at the party, but are urging people to stay home.

The time to stop asking people nicely is over.

First offence $250 fine

Second offence $750 fine

Third offence arrested for endangering public safety.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There is discussion about Canadian politics going on in here actually.

Problem is its mostly the same whiny Albertan complaining about pipelines every other post.

More like whiny Dinero. Actually maybe you don't whine you're just very uneducated that it makes talkin to you absolutely pointless. You should have stayed in school and done all of us a favour.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Seeing how high the numbers are climbing in Ontario and Quebec, do you guys/gals think BC may be understating our number of cases? Or are we doing that much of a better job social distancing?

Sounds like a lot of people with mild/ moderate symptoms are being told to go home and self isolate without being tested so I doubt those people are included in the total #’s

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hard to ignore talking about him when talking about the response in the US. 

You should just stick to talking about who we would take if we would trade for the first overall pick. Remember one day it was a defenseman and the very next day it was a centre and both were brilliant move because we needed both. I honestly don't think I laughed at anybody as much as I laughed at you when you did that LOL

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

VICTORIA -- Victoria’s top police officer is pleading with people to stop having parties and follow physical distancing orders after police broke-up multiple parties over the weekend.

Victoria Police Chief Del Manak said police officers were called to nine noise complaints, including several parties and other gatherings, over the weekend.

The gatherings took place across the region, including at Saxe Point Park. Police say the party-goers were all in their 40's or younger.

Police officers told each group of people that they were putting their loved ones and the wider community at risk by gathering together.

“The first line of defense against COVID-19 is social and physical distancing,” said Manak. “Please, think of the greater good.”

Manak adds that police officers will soon be able to ticket people who gather in groups, but says he hopes it does not come to that.

Meanwhile, B.C.’s provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said on Monday that even small groups, gathering inside, are a risk.

“[A ban on gatherings larger than 50 people] does not mean you can have 49 people at a house party,” said Henry.

“Those are the situations that cause this virus to spread and it is going to spread to the people closest to us.”

Henry said people need to maintain physical distancing, particularly in the coming weeks to curb teh spread of COVID-19.

On March 22, Victoria police were also called to break-up a house party in the 800-block of Phoenix Street.

Police were responding to a noise complaint around 10 p.m. and found a group of people having a house party.

“Some of the party-goers were undeterred, mistakenly believing their youth made them immune to the virus,” said Victoria police at the time.

Police said no one was arrested at the party, but are urging people to stay home.

First offence $250 fine

Second offence $750 fine

First time is a fine. Second time is jail. Or take the CCP approach: first time - you get executed. 

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

First offence $250 fine

Second offence $750 fine

First offence $250 fine

Second offence $750 fine

Third First offence arrested for endangering public safety.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

More like whiny Dinero. Actually maybe you don't whine you're just very uneducated that it makes talkin to you absolutely pointless. You should have stayed in school and done all of us a favour.

At least I know basic economics. :gocan:

22 minutes ago, nucksnavsfan said:

Grrr, another toilet paper hunt unsuccessful . 
im not out yet but supplying 3 households is gonna go quickly. 
safeway, Superstore, London Drugs, Shoppers and Rona ... nada.

the gov’t keeps saying don’t panic buy, our supply is still coming in as usual. Not true. Manager at London Drugs told me they keep ordering 3 pallets and are lucky to sometimes get half a pallet if anything at all. He was frustrated. 
why people are panic buying TP for a respiratory infection is crazy to me. 
I lucked out on a pack of paper towels as they were up on the top shelf and waaay back. Luckily I made my husband go in with me , he reached what I am guessing others couldn’t , which is why it was sitting on those long empty shelves all alone. 
lol, he commented on the dirty looks people were giving him holding the pack as we exited the store. 
fun times. 
I am trying online pick up order at Save On for Friday included in my order were packs of TP and Lysol wipes. ( no limit shown on the site) 

it will be interesting to see if I actually get any in my order. Fingers crossed. 
this is what my new hobby has become lol. 
Toilet Paper Comedy GIF

Whole Foods has lots of toilet paper.  Every time I go there they have some with no lineup to get it.