The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

Sweden  10,483 cases 899 dead 8.6% mortality rate  89 deaths per million

Canada  24,383 cases  717 dead 2.9% mortality rate  19 deaths per million

https://www.covid-19canada.com/

So Far I know which country I prefer, doesn't start with an S.

Maybe Sweden will be over this in a month. We have no path to "freedom" that I am aware of.  We can't come out of lockdown or we are back to square one in short order. This is definitely just IMO.

Remember Sweden did not spend billions protecting their vulnerable as I suggested we should.

Edited by Dustbin
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Dustbin said:

Maybe Sweden will be over this in a month

And maybe I'll be the next heavyweight champion of the world. It is possible, just highly, highly unlikely

9 minutes ago, Dustbin said:

Sweden did not spend billions protecting their vulnerable as I suggested we should.

Can you clarify what you are saying here? Are you saying it is a good thing Sweden didn't spend money protecting the vulnerable? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

And maybe I'll be the next heavyweight champion of the world. It is possible, just highly, highly unlikely

Can you clarify what you are saying here? Are you saying it is a good thing Sweden didn't spend money protecting the vulnerable? 

In my first post I emphasized the fact that I want us to spend billions on protecting the vulnerable (instead of unemployment benefits). Sweden should have done more in this regard.

We will see what their numbers are in a month. They are going down fast already, but I do think this is an anomaly. It's too soon I would think. 

Hopefully they wont get spooked into a lockdown. I think UK caved at just the wrong time. Short term pain perhaps. Sweden will tell the tale I guess.

19 minutes ago, Dustbin said:

Maybe Sweden will be over this in a month. We have no path to "freedom" that I am aware of.  We can't come out of lockdown or we are back to square one in short order. This is definitely just IMO.

Remember Sweden did not spend billions protecting their vulnerable as I suggested we should.

What about Sweden's escalating situation leads you to believe that.  My understanding is they are headed for a lockdown.

The UK started out with the same approach and had to quickly change its course.

Edited by stawns
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Dustbin said:

There's also no evidence that we even get any kind of immunity after being infected.  That's an awfully dangerous game to play with no evidence. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2020 at 11:02 AM, 4thLineGrinder said:

i've been talking about the media.  You are the one who keeps getting fixated on trump. rent free

Eggs people on and can’t understand why the Commander in chief’s name is used in vain.

Your trolling just attracts the negative attention you profess not to want.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Dustbin said:

Only 17 dead yesterday and 12 today.  As I said, I don't believe it. Probably reporting issues.

Their numbers will skyrocket within a couple weeks I reckon without lockdown measures in place. Their decisions are mind boggling.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Their numbers will skyrocket within a couple weeks I reckon without lockdown measures in place. Their decisions are mind boggling.

Or when it is said and done what we did may be mind boggling. I don't know.

9 hours ago, stawns said:

There's also no evidence that we even get any kind of immunity after being infected.  That's an awfully dangerous game to play with no evidence. 

You really are taking a frightening viewpoint. There is evidence that there is immunity after recovery. Yesterday a military doctor said indications are immunity is probably good for two years. Hopefully it's true that those rare cases of reinfection are a result of testing errors.

8 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Maybe so. Then it should be over. Our strategy has no end game if the vaccines next year don't work.  20 more dead today in Sweden. Quite low again.

We will probably adopt the Swedish strategy shortly. There's not much choice. Our shutdown has given us time to prepare, so it was good. Protect the vulnerable and deaths will be minimized.

Six million Canadians have applied for emergency unemployment so far. This is unsustainable even short term.

Edited by Dustbin

9 hours ago, stawns said:

There is evidence because people have recovered. You can't recover from a virus and not have built immunity against it. The time it takes to recover is the time it takes for our immune system to produce enough antibodies specific to the virus to overcome it. The antibodies are extremely specific, so if the virus mutates again it is essentially a different virus that we would also have to build antibodies against. I have read that given that this coronavirus is novel (ie. corona - from animals; novel - not seen before) it is harder for humans to build antibodies against it because our immune system doesn't recognize it as easily.

• Upvote 1

I see Canada is doubling down on re-establishing PPE production in China. At what point does the JT government realize that having production capability in Canada is critical? Farm out pills and PPE to China and farm out defense to the Americans. Long term planning at its finest. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Dustbin said:

You really are taking a frightening viewpoint. There is evidence that there is immunity after recovery. Yesterday a military doctor said indications are immunity is probably good for two years. Hopefully it's true that those rare cases of reinfection are a result of testing errors.

Maybe so. Then it should be over. Our strategy has no end game if the vaccines next year don't work.  20 more dead today in Sweden. Quite low again.

We will probably adopt the Swedish strategy shortly. There's not much choice. Our shutdown has given us time to prepare, so it was good. Protect the vulnerable and deaths will be minimized.

So go back to normal and let the weak die and shrug our shoulders like it was just a normal type of death. You know...not some easily transmistable virus or anything...

Should things change and businesses open to a degree, yes I agree life has to get back to some kind of normal, but it can't happen overnight. Hopefully by summer life can go back to normal for the most part

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

There is evidence because people have recovered. You can't recover from a virus and not have built immunity against it. The time it takes to recover is the time it takes for our immune system to produce enough antibodies specific to the virus to overcome it. The antibodies are extremely specific, so if the virus mutates again it is essentially a different virus that we would also have to build antibodies against. I have read that given that this coronavirus is novel (ie. corona - from animals; novel - not seen before) it is harder for humans to build antibodies against it because our immune system doesn't recognize it as easily.

There's also evidence of people getting it twice, myself likely being one of them.

I'm not saying we won't, but right now there's no evidence we do.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Dustbin said:

Six million Canadians have applied for emergency unemployment so far. This is unsustainable even short term.

I'm certain I had it in late January and hate it now.

11 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Probably a good number that have "recovered" have had their bodies (internal organs) ravaged by the virus.  For some of them, it might end up a pyrrhic victory sad to say.

• Upvote 1

Seems more and more likely you can get it twice:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/skorea-reports-more-recovered-coronavirus-patients-testing-positive-again/ar-BB12xXhh?ocid=spartandhp

"

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea reported on Monday that at least 116 people initially cleared of the new coronavirus had tested positive again, although officials suggested they would soon look at easing strict recommendations aimed at preventing new outbreaks.

South Korea reported only 25 new cases overall on Monday, but the rise in "reactivated" patients has raised concerns as the country seeks to stamp out infections.

Officials are still investigating the cause of the apparent relapses. But Jeong Eun-kyeong, director of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), has said the virus may have been reactivated rather than the patients being re-infected.

Other experts said faulty tests may be playing a role, or remnants of the virus may still be in patients' systems but not be infectious or of danger to the host or others.

The 116 cases is more than double the 51 such cases South Korea reported a week earlier.

South Korea plans to send 600,000 coronavirus testing kits to the United States on Tuesday in the first such shipment following a request from U.S. President Donald Trump, a Seoul official told Reuters on Monday.

Government leaders, meanwhile, called on South Koreans to continue to follow guidelines and restrictions on social gatherings, but hinted that such measures could soon be eased.

South Korea has called on residents to follow strict social distancing until at least April 19, but as cases have dropped and the weather has improved, a growing number of people have been flouting the guidelines.

At a meeting on disaster management on Monday, Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun said the government would soon be looking to loosen the guidelines, which call for people to stay at home, avoid social gatherings of any type, and only go out for essential reasons.

"Later this week, we plan to review our intensive social distancing campaign that we have carried out so far and discuss whether we will switch to routine safety measures" he said.

Some local governments have imposed stricter measures, including closing bars and nightclubs, banning large demonstrations, and limiting church services.

Chung cautioned that even when the restrictions are eased, the country will not return to life as before the outbreak.

"We need a very cautious approach because any premature easing of social distancing could bring irreversible consequences, and have to ponder deeply about when and how we switch to the new system," he said.

(Reporting by Josh Smith; Additional reporting by Hyonhee Shin and Sangmi Cha; Editing by Hugh Lawson)"

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

So go back to normal and let the weak die and shrug our shoulders like it was just a normal type of death. You know...not some easily transmistable virus or anything...

Should things change and businesses open to a degree, yes I agree life has to get back to some kind of normal, but it can't happen overnight. Hopefully by summer life can go back to normal for the most part

Every post I made I've said protect the vulnerable. Spend billions protecting them and not on unemployment insurance.