The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

if only you could follow your own advice, maybe I wouldnt have been "wrong" But in this case I wasn't the only news source about Ferland on the third was JB's stippet on Ferland. they used that as thier source, there was like 5 or 6 tweets after Jim benning's stippet from reputable sources mentioning about he would be placed on the LTIR.

Like correct me if im wrong but if ferland was on LTIR already JB would have mentioned that. GASP HOT TAKE COMING IN, maybe capfriendly jumped the gun. this is taken from thier website "We are constantly on the look out for contract news from credible news outlets, reporters, and insiders" the literal first report of ferland on LTIR was at 3:00 pm pst today way after the fact.

capfriendly does make guesses on roster's during the off season, how else would you explain jack rathbone being on the active roster just a few days ago and now all of a sudden OJ is there. Capfriendly is not a source.

For someone who likes to correct people you sure are wrong a lot.

Before Capfriendly, we used to use Capgeek. Capfriendly has all the caps, salaries, and clauses of every team and updates regularly once training camp starts. Not only are they a legitimate source, but they are the main source of salary information for The Hockey Writers.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

FWIW the year that Virt played under Green in Utica he was regularly used on the PK, so it is nothing new for either

I know I stated that earlier in this thread but he’s been hesitant to even try him there up until this point 

30 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Here's my rough prediction for opening night Roster. This is Fully Cap Compliant and based on 22 guys.

Forwards

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Sutter

MacEwan

Defense

Hughes - Schmidt

Edler - Hamonic

Juolevi - Myers

Chatfield

Goalies

Holtby 1A - 60% of Workload

Demko 1B - 40% of Workload

Taxi:

Baerstchi

Benn

DiPietro

Rafferty

Michaelis

Rathbone

Kielly

Eriksson - Utica (not 100% sure that they won't just leave him on Taxi, but hoping they send him all the way down.

This covers all overages from last season and is a cap hit of $78,806,878, leaving $2,693,122 in available cap spend. Assumptions that I've made include Ferland to LTIR and Hamonic signed at 1 million cap hit (might wind up being a little more)

End message is, Don't worry too much about cap space, we can make this work. If we waive Sutter as well and shuttle him to the Taxi on off days, we pickup even more.

you are not very high on sutter eh? you would risk him to pick up a few hundred dollars in cap space for like 25 days?

22 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I like the lineup overall. But that second defensive pair isn’t exactly fleet of foot skate. Not to beat a dead horse here but word is that Hamonic really has lost a step. Again, he could be refreshed and show more mobility now....but it’s something to be mindful of. In a perfect world it would be nice to have a “+” skater on every pair....for that reason I think I’d split up Schmidt and Hughes. And yes, I actually consider Myers to be an above average skater. FWIW, Juolevi, Edler and Hamonic are probably in the “average” class. Once Rathbone arrives our defence will be as mobile as any iteration in team history by a long shot.

Agreed. Was designed to be more of an estimate of meeting cap compliance than exactly what I think pairings will be.

Sutter wouldn't stay on Taxi, but I think he might start the season there as it would maximize our available cap without any major risk of him being picked up on waivers. We get 1.075 million in Cap Relief if we waive him.

At 4.35 million, no one is going to pick him up in a flat cap.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don't think it means much. Eliot was expected to play with the Comets, but Woo has the option to back to the WHL or play with the Comets. There is belief that he doesn't believe he'll go back to the WHL.

That would be Woo's 5th full Junior season. What a waste.

He needs to play in the AHL to develop 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

That would be Woo's 5th full Junior season. What a waste.

He needs to play in the AHL to develop 

Yeah, I agree. It's time for him to get a taste of professional hockey. It will be interesting to see how they manage players minutes considering Utica is sharing with Springfield.

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

For someone who likes to correct people you sure are wrong a lot.

Before Capfriendly, we used to use Capgeek. Capfriendly has all the caps, salaries, and clauses of every team and updates regularly once training camp starts. Not only are they a legitimate source, but they are the main source of salary information for The Hockey Writers.

i think you, spelled im sorry wrong.

no worries

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Horvat didn't hesitate to say he thinks Hoglander is ready. 

Doesn't seem like there is any doubt now. This has turned out to be best case scenario. 

Posted this in the Hoglander thread. ^

Well see if he can keep it going when the puck drops for real, but what a massive boost this could be for the outlook of our team. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

Still unable to engage in honest discussion.

You are the one who is unable to admit when you are wrong.

You were wrong. multiple times.

what is this, bizarro land?

our main discussion has been about ltir and ferland, 4 or 5 times you told me i was wrong, but he isn't on LTIR so i have been the opposite of wrong.

the other discussion was about how capfriendly guesses on opening night rosters, they do................... so im not wrong

the third point we argued on was that capfriendly is not a source for injury status and contracts. it is not, it's a gateway to legitimate sources with potential for errors. For example they wrongfully placed ferland on injury reserve on the 3rd. again not wrong

i will not argue it is a valuable source of information, and i wont argue that its not used by hockey professionals. but hockey professional never quote status updates with the source of capfriendly

Interesting that Raff was w/ the main group instead of Chatfield. Felt like he was on the backburner, but I guess not. 

I like our depth after Jordie Benn. Rafferty & Chatfield being next-up, then Sautner & Brisebois have played games before. Plus Rathbone - who may not be ready just yet, but has the most upside to surprise. Would be fine with any of them stepping in if need be.  

My defensive depth chart:

- NHL roster-

Edler - Schmidt

Hughes - Hamonic

Juolevi - Myers

Benn

- Capable depth -

Rafferty

Chatfield

Sautner

Brisebois

Rathbone