The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

30 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

If you have Ferland on LTIR and Capfriendly is showing “cap space” of less than Ferland’s cap hit of $3.5m, then it means that you are actually NOT banking any cap space. Instead you will just have that remaining amount of LTIR relief to use.

There won’t be any point in waiving Sutter unless you can create more than $3.5m in space and thereby bank a little of cap space to cover this year’s bonuses.

Since you can’t use LTIR to bank cap space, then it makes more sense that the LTIR relief will be used to add more players to the active roster (max 23) and we may as well use that space to maximise our depth.

I believe the choice of who to keep as extras on the active roster vs who to waive to the taxi squad will be based on the risk of them being picked off waivers.

Eriksson, Baer, Benn, Roussel - unlikely to get picked off waivers due to their high salary. Best candidates for taxi squad. Loui to Utica please.

Hoglander, Lind, Jasek, Michaelis, Rafferty - waiver exempt, low salary - next best options for taxi squad.

MacEwen, Hawryluk, Bailey, Graovac, Chatfield, Brisebois, Sautner - not waiver exempt and low salary. Higher risk of getting picked off waivers. Ideally keep them on 23 man active roster if you want them in the 23 + 6.

I should really look this up but you seem to understand your capology well... I read somewhere that we 'save' more if Loui is on the Taxi squad as opposed to the AHL? I can't find it now ofc

But yeah great post, it's cap "relief", we don't just get his full salary taken off the books. Best case scenario he comes back just in time for playoffs, but I called his career being over last season and unfortunately still beleive that. 

Edited by Davathor
Autocorrected to NHL, obviously not saving money if he's up

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm a little surprised Hawryluk wasn't in the main group. Seemed like the Canucks coveted him. Would rather see him than Loui, but I guess he'll be a taxi squad guy.

Green hasn't even given him a chance to play with the main group.  As far as I'm concerned, if MacEwen and Virtanen are getting chances to play there, Hawryluk should too.

• Cheers 4

6 hours ago, xereau said:

How does he not have the self awareness to not retire?

He has millions of reasons not to retire

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I'm a little surprised the NHL allows this type of goal.  Just seems like something the old boys would not like.

• Upvote 1

There's a fine line between letting young guys play and keeping enough depth available for a condensed schedule. We can't just ice a team of the fan favourites. We will have injuries and we will see a lot of players this season.

38 minutes ago, Davathor said:

I should really look this up but you seem to understand your capology well... I read somewhere that we 'save' more if Loui is on the Taxi squad as opposed to the AHL? I can't find it now ofc

But yeah great post, it's cap "relief", we don't just get his full salary taken off the books. Best case scenario he comes back just in time for playoffs, but I called his career being over last season and unfortunately still beleive that. 

Loui’s cap hit will be the same whether he is in the AHL or taxi squad, but since taxi squad is still in the NHL then his actual pay will be subject to escrow. If he goes to the AHL then his actual salary will be paid in full.

• Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, gurn said:

He has millions of reasons not to retire

I'm a little surprised the NHL allows this type of goal.  Just seems like something the old boys would not like.

It’s a young mans league now.

There was a time when a between the legs goal was special and considered showboating. Now those goals are pretty common.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is interesting to note, the Canucks bottom 6 struggled in the playoffs and was a weak area. They need a better bottom 6, more contribution. I'd be fine with Jake in the bottom 6, with MacEwen, Motte, Gaudette, Sutter, and maybe a guy like Michaelis, Lockwood as a spare. 

I liked Motte, Beagle and Sutter in the bubble but the rest seemed to struggle.

Really hope Jake, Rousell, and whoever else is in the bottom six are at least middle of the pack compared to the rest of the Scotia div.

If Hogs makes the team and is in the top six I wonder if Green uses Sutter over AG as the 3c deploying the line in a more defensive role. 

• Vintage 2

5 hours ago, canuktravella said:

ya i figure jakes gonna have a breakthrough yr and hoglander will  push for calder we are laughing  its a win win situations and pearson sutter edler  baertchi benn off books after this yr  20mill off plus whoever seattle  takes in ed maybe roussel or beagle or myers or holtby or lind  plenty of money to resign petey hughes  demko and edler if he wants more time here 

Can you or anyone else explain to me who is going to take his place? I mean I keep hearing this, and no one gives me an answer.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Can you or anyone else explain to me who is going to take his place? I mean I keep hearing this, and no one gives me an answer.

Pretty sure it will be Pearson who takes his place, very unlikely he's not re-signed IMO.

• Wat 1

36 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think Pearson is a solid player, but he may not be re-signed depending on what he asks for. Who could take his place? I'd like to see Motte given a shot.

Edited by BarnBurner

Well, people swear at games anyway.

I know you're only half-serious but a single voice really wouldn't stand out, it would mostly be crowd emotion. You would have to have a feed at home without a delay though, maybe via a pay-per-cheer feed -- that way you'd be registered and therefore responsible, right? Haha. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, frank einstein said:

Well, people swear at games anyway.

I know you're only half-serious but a single voice really wouldn't stand out, it would mostly be crowd emotion. You would have to have a feed at home without a delay though, maybe via a pay-per-cheer feed -- that way you'd be registered and therefore responsible, right? Haha. 

It was a joke speaking to my penchant for swearing at the tv.