The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I didn't say it would happen, but I'd like to see it happen. Motte can play. I would at least try it out. 

Barn Burner

I could be wrong, but honestly Motte is not even a 3rd liner.....at least not yet

A honest hockey player, but not at that level

It is probably that 1 game that has people excited, but until you see more of it

Be careful on your assumptions ( says the man that just assumed! LOL)

If anything, Hoglander moves to that side (Maybe....depending on Virtanen/Gaudette/Podkolzin/McEwen? being able to play the right side on the 2nd line)

You have to remember the talent difference is very small between 3rd and 4th lines, but still big...if that makes any sense

Like I said at the beginning, I could be wrong, but normally, it happens alot sooner in their careers

We will see.......remind me if Motte makes it......I don't have a problem being proven wrong

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

9 minutes ago, Green Building said:

That trade fell into our lap like Ehrhoff. It wasn't a steal, it was a gift.

I mean timing is often everything for a GM.

Maybe it wasn’t a steal but Benning deserves credit for pulling the trigger as fast as he did.

You don’t think there’s other GMs that are kicking themselves for not jumping all over that?

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I think Pearson is a solid player, but he may not be re-signed depending on what he asks for. Who could take his place? I'd like to see Motte given a shot.

Motte is valuable because he knows his role and he plays it well. A team aspiring for the playoffs shouldn’t have Motte in its top-6 though. 

6 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

There is no way that these guys will be waived. They are still an important part of this team and the growth of the new core of young players. Neither one will be renewed when their contracts expire, but unless there's a major falloff, they are here this year at least. "Possible" that they are not needed past this season, but I think you underestimate, how big they are to our success.

It baffles me sometimes how little love vets get. Beags is still useful and AR had a very good year in 2018-19 and is fully capable of getting back to that level.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Both are great leaders and mentors to our young guys. You don’t win without players like that.

Time to show a little appreciation to the vets.

If some of these fans had it their way we’d have no vets and never win a cup 

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I like the lineup overall. But that second defensive pair isn’t exactly fleet of foot skate. Not to beat a dead horse here but word is that Hamonic really has lost a step. Again, he could be refreshed and show more mobility now....but it’s something to be mindful of. In a perfect world it would be nice to have a “+” skater on every pair....for that reason I think I’d split up Schmidt and Hughes. And yes, I actually consider Myers to be an above average skater. FWIW, Juolevi, Edler and Hamonic are probably in the “average” class. Once Rathbone arrives our defence will be as mobile as any iteration in team history by a long shot.

Based on who Hughes has been with so far it seems to me they have Hamonic as his partner.

Having Myers who I think is a great top-4 on the 3rd pair with Joulevi is a luxury very few team's have.

I think even the biggest Myers haters concede he is a great skater.

As far as Hamonic and if he has lost a step, Flames fans are petty so I don't put much stock in what they say.

He did average the most toi for them and has had almost a year off so I'm pretty excited to see if he's got a spring in his step.

I do think that Quinn will elevate him in the same way he did for Tanev 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Motte is valuable because he knows his role and he plays it well. A team aspiring for the playoffs shouldn’t have Motte in its top-6 though. 

That's only your opinion. I wouldn't be against giving him a shot.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Barn Burner

I could be wrong, but honestly Motte is not even a 3rd liner.....at least not yet

A honest hockey player, but not at that level

It is probably that 1 game that has people excited, but until you see more of it

Be careful on your assumptions ( says the man that just assumed! LOL)

If anything, Hoglander moves to that side (Maybe....depending on Virtanen/Gaudette/Podkolzin/McEwen? being able to play the right side on the 2nd line)

You have to remember the talent difference is very small between 3rd and 4th lines, but still big...if that makes any sense

Like I said at the beginning, I could be wrong, but normally, it happens alot sooner in their careers

We will see.......remind me if Motte makes it......I don't have a problem being proven wrong

I laughed because you said he's not even a 3rd liner yet. Well, guess what? If you don't give these guys the opportunity, you'll never know what you got. And I say, put him on Horvat's left wing and let's see how that plays out. As simple as that. 

• Like 1

The Vets sure showed up in the playoffs showing their worth and price tags.

sarcasm ^ 

anywho , im excited with this group and for this season. Theres definitely good times ahead. Im honestly happy with who ever the opening day roster has on it and line combo. Canucks got a great group to choose from. Not much more can be upgraded with the cap space but im fine with the players Canucks already have. Minus  - Loui E.

luv trading camp , luv draft day , but Crazy luv Canucks hockey.

Drop thE PUCK i ready for sum Canucks hockeEEY!!! 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

I think there are a lot of fans that look at offensive stats only and don't comprehend the different expectations of role players.

The vets played a huge role in our Playoff success. Fans who don't get that show their lack of understanding of what transpired.

100%. There is a couple I won’t cry when they leave trust me but you need a handful of these guys if you want to have any kind of success.

Would we have made it to game 7 of the second round without them. Hell no. Minnesota would have taken us out. If it were up to some people we would have had Bailey type players in our bottom 6. No offence to him. It’s just not a recipe for success 

It’s given us the opportunity to develop our young players and puts them in a position to succeed.

• Cheers 2