The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, CanucksJay said:

I thought he was ok. I just burst out laughing when I heard that Yamamoto call. 

It was too over the top. Great announcers get excited as the play develops and climaxes at the goal where there is energy. That Yamamoto call was trying too hard and manufactured. 

This. It was funny; I don't see why people need to get borderline angry about it haha 

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

I thought he was ok. I just burst out laughing when I heard that Yamamoto call. 

It was too over the top. Great announcers get excited as the play develops and climaxes at the goal where there is energy. That Yamamoto call was trying too hard and manufactured. 

I'm personally not a fan of most of the screaming/yelling over the top calls... I notice a lot of American announcers do it for some reason and its always cringe inducing for me.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bailey on the first line tonight or even Gaud up there 

I would be surprised! I think Jake did reasonably well stepping up. Took a bit of time to get into the swing of things.

Gaudette only managed 8 mins of TOI, so if you think MacEwen is being pulled based on 7 mins I can't see Gaud getting promoted to 1st line.

Also Bailey and Gaudette are both righties, so wouldn't make sense to put them as 1LW.

More likely that the 13th Fwd is changing from Eriksson to Bailey, and the rest of the lineup stays the same.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

no, it really doesn't. adding an upward inflection doesn't turn a statement of drawn conclusions into a question. 

Really? I mean REALLY!

So take the 2 words "F" "you".

You can say it with many different tones, inflexions 

One can be a statement of anger, one a question, one of humor, and one a statement of passion, etc.....

If I am understanding your argument.........then I disagree with you

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

I would be surprised! I think Jake did reasonably well stepping up. Took a bit of time to get into the swing of things.

Gaudette only managed 8 mins of TOI, so if you think MacEwen is being pulled based on 7 mins I can't see Gaud getting promoted to 1st line.

Also Bailey and Gaudette are both righties, so wouldn't make sense to put them as 1LW.

More likely that the 13th Fwd is changing from Eriksson to Bailey, and the rest of the lineup stays the same.

The problem with Jake on the first line last night is that he was still playing like a bottom 6 player. Throwing the puck away instead of making a more skilled play to Boeser or Petey. He needs that Hoglander confidence. 

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

I thought we save a $mill with Loui in the minors

and Bailey makes $700k

I also thought being $300k closer to the cap was better to start the season

We were at $81.49m at the start of the season. Which is about as close as you can get to $81.5m and gave us room for maximum cap relief using LTIR. Now that the season has begun JB can move pieces to where he wants them. There's no actual saving with this move since the $300k difference in cap hit is all within the LTIR that we are currently using.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The problem with Jake on the first line last night is that he was still playing like a bottom 6 player. Throwing the puck away instead of making a more skilled play to Boeser or Petey. He needs that Hoglander confidence. 

So let's demote him after one game to help his confidence...

4 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

Alright Mr.English professor. 

Whatever you say dude, whatever I say you're gonna have some dumb response to try and make me out to be the bad guy here. 

That's the problem, no one wants to have a rational discussion now a days.

listen, if you want to shred dave randorf or mark lee or peter loubardias or any of the other reject play by play guys we've been subjected to over the years, I'll be right there with ya, and it's not a racial thing by any stretch of the imagination. it's about having reasonable expectations. those other guys have no excuse to be bad because they've had decades of opportunity and were still terrible at it. harnarayan singh has not, and the guy is trying to blaze a pretty noteworthy trail in the industry. give him a chance before you smash him back down to earth. 

3 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

I'm personally not a fan of most of the screaming/yelling over the top calls... I notice a lot of American announcers do it for some reason and its always cringe inducing for me.

I remember a canuckstv feature from years (decades?) ago where shorthouse was being asked about jim robson and what made him the best in the biz. shorty said it was because he had more "gears" than anybody else, as in the most different levels of excitement as dictated by the play. it always stuck with me, and in my opinion it's what makes shorty so good at what he does, too. if you contrast him with, say, gord miller, who's universally regarded as one of the best out there, miller has monotonous stoicism and then dog whistle level of excitement, with almost nothing in between. a level of excitement befitting of the situation, not too subdued, not too amped up, is huge imo when it comes to hockey play by play calling. 

12 minutes ago, lmm said:

I thought we save a $mill with Loui in the minors

and Bailey makes $700k

I also thought being $300k closer to the cap was better to start the season

You're right. Unsure if they need that money right now, and probably not if he's not all the way gone.

• Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Really? I mean REALLY!

So take the 2 words "F" "you".

You can say it with many different tones, inflexions 

One can be a statement of anger, one a question, one of humor, and one a statement of passion, etc.....

If I am understanding your argument.........then I disagree with you

sure, but if the statement in question is "based on yadda yadda I can only conclude that ..." there is no room for interpretation. he literally said that based on all of his deductive reasoning, the only possible conclusion he could come to is that I'm a south asian person. adding a question mark or saying it with an upward inflection doesn't turn it into a question. he went so far as to say it was obvious that I was taking it personally and in a racial context. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

So let's demote him after one game to help his confidence...

I didnt say demote him, I think he's the best choice for that spot but he will have to make better passes (which I do think he possesses the skill) or green will have to get someone in there that will. Only one game though, shouldn't judge too much. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

12 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

I don't think anyone is "Border-Line" angry about it man, you're just playing up the fact they didn't like him as being angry. 

Angry was probably the wrong word, but you guys definitely feel very strongly about this for some reason. Spending this much time and energy on such a tiny, not-important thing just amazes me. Surely you guys have something better/more productive to do 

So, was it a penalty shot? I imagine Oiler fans we whining throughout the night and day about it, like that would've made a difference. I'm not entirely clear on the rule, but I would think as long as the breakaway player is on his skates and manages some sort of shot, it's just a penalty? And then if he's hauled down on a breakaway, then it's a penalty shot? 

McDavid draws a ton of penalties because of his speed. Defenders can't keep up so they have to reach and hook, try to slow him down somehow. This is part of his arsenal, and I noticed when the ref didn't make a call in yesterday's game, Connie got upset, waving his arms and yapping at the ref.  Like he had been robbed. I'd love to see Hoglander hound the F out of him all game. Oh the frustration would be sweet. I think Hogz can keep up, and he's got the skill to knock #97 off the puck, maybe even steal it.