The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Resume advice

The Lock

So, I'm in the process of working on my resume, but I'm in an interesting spot. Here's a bit of a backstory:

Last year I completed a degree in Computer Science with a minor in Geographical Information Systems.  Since then, I have completed two internships with the same company designing and implementing a database, creating a website using React and Node, as well as various python scripts. While I have learned a lot from that job and enjoyed it, the contract was complete in December. I am now currently looking for work in any combination of the fields of databases, web development, and geographical information systems. I am willing to move to almost anywhere, worldwide or in Canada.

Before my degree, I achieved a business degree. However, I found myself not knowing what I wanted to do entirely. As a result, I have a bunch of random jobs before (and during) my degree. A bunch of these jobs are small jobs. If I add in all of these jobs, I feel the resume becomes too long for 1 page but not enough for 2 pages. I also feel that if I exclude the small jobs, a bunch of employment gaps show up with years in between. While there will be employment gaps in the job history anyway, I don't want them to be displayed any more than they have to.

I am also in the process of making projects (my personal website as well as name generator website which uses machine learning and other algorithms) to show my skills and hopefully have them highlight things better than my history before my degree.

Do you guys have any advice on this? Can I just not show the history before the degree and just tell them about it when prompted? What are the standards these days?

Edited by The Lock

I would recommend including relevant experience and put "Additional experience includes"or "Other experience" towards the bottom with the dates (01/2017 - 03/2019) such as:  

• Sales Associate at company name    05/2010 - 06/2011
  • Store Clerk at company name             06/2011 - 12/2011

For projects, I would definitely that as well as foreign languages and hard skills. 

For my resume, I have a skills section at the top , and I bullet point many things such as:

Company     01/2009 - current

City, WA

Short description of what I do.

• bullet point
  • bullet point
  • bullet point

If you have a LinkedIn account, that is great.  You can change the URL ending to something about you and add your LinkedIn URL to your resume. 

• Vintage 1

Just want to say that I really appreciate all of this advice. It's not always the easiest when you suddenly have to think about this stuff. I had started when I was graduating but then was fortunate to be hired right away without needing my resume.

I used to be on a hiring board a few years ago and "gaps" in resume's were significant and raised "red flags" for us. I don't think I would name every job you did though but maybe a "gist" between such and such dates. Maybe say "various small jobs such as ......." and then "more info. available upon request". You can fill them in on each job if asked but at least it shows that you were employed for that time period. Hope this helps and good luck. 

11 hours ago, goalie13 said:

You may also want to Google yourself, check your digital footprint.  Make sure there is nothing that can come back to haunt you or disqualify you from the job.

Good idea.  I'm incredibly lucky in that I share the same name as someone who is frequently in the local news, so any search just brings up articles about the wrong person.

I moved to Sweden when I was 18, I just talk about how that, how I learned Swedish in less than five years, was and it seems to impress people, gotten lots of interviews and a great job despite having never completed any formal post secondary education.

Edited by canuckster19

20 hours ago, goalie13 said:

You may also want to Google yourself, check your digital footprint.  Make sure there is nothing that can come back to haunt you or disqualify you from the job.

I just did that.  Found a Linkdin profile I made 11 years ago and haven't used since and then my twitter account which is just a bunch of sports tweets.  Didn't know what i would find

• Upvote 1