The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | January 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, SNP, TSN5, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

chill out bud hes 22 hes got elite talent and hes in a dry spell it happens 

Did anyone notice how sickly Petey looked prior to tonight?

Every player goes through a slump and it seems a lot of skilled guys are struggling but Petey has looked slow and seemed to have trouble in every facet of his game.

Tonight tho the first thing I noticed was how much better he looked and aside from the PP he looked more like himself.  Hopefully he was under the weather and is feeling better.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

It was never about points. We’re happy for the kid. We want to see him continue develop his game most importantly defensively which he’s looked good so far for a rookie 

Yup, the fact that hes an almost every game player, thats already big for us. He's giving us Stetcher level of play with a 1/3 of the cost

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sutter has scored 156 NHL goals.

In a shutdown role (ie under 40% ozone starts for his career).

Very few players are capable of that kind of production in hard minutes.

That takes relatively consistent offensive instincts.

It warms my cockles to see our bottom six have a great game.

If he stays healthy he's an ideal 3c and I prefer him to AG and if has a good season and is willing to sign a short deal for around 2 million I'd love to have him back.

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

It warms my cockles to see our bottom six have a great game.

If he stays healthy he's an ideal 3c and I prefer him to AG and if has a good season and is willing to sign a short deal for around 2 million I'd love to have him back.

they've had 8 straight imo - or at the very least 7 in 8.  they've been the one consistent element thus far.

they just happened to add 4 goals tonight, so there's that.

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, oldnews said:

he spoke of the fire EP had in his first two seasons - when he did not have the puck.  Ie when he'd have a giveaway or an opponent takeaway - he'd fume and pursue / battle for the puck as if he'd been insulted.   that's the fire that we're not yet seeing from him - and it comes from the 'ground up' in a sense - when you play the game with the same intent without the puck as with it - and focus on all the 'little things'.   the pressure of producing and distraction of not seems to have broken his focus/concentration a little.   it happens - even to aliens.t

I think of EP in that St Louis playoff series - throwing his body in front of shots (one shot block in particular with Marky down and out stands out in my memory)....he's just a bit mentally under the weather.

I agree.

It shows in him passing up prime shooting opportunities, and outwardly showing frustration - even with minor/inconsequential 'mistakes' - so often. 

Just now, oldnews said:

they've had 8 straight imo - or at the very least 7 in 8.  they've been the one consistent element thus far.

they just happened to add 4 goals tonight, so there's that.

I think Sutter, Motte and beagle have been solid all season as well.

Roussel has been ok zac was good tonight but other than 3 or 4 shifts I think AG has been pretty bad.

I much prefer Sutter as the 3c it's nice to have a 3c that run a line without the need to be sheltered.

3 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I think Sutter, Motte and beagle have been solid all season as well.

Roussel has been ok zac was good tonight but other than 3 or 4 shifts I think AG has been pretty bad.

I much prefer Sutter as the 3c it's nice to have a 3c that run a line without the need to be sheltered.

I've been generally happy with Gaudette's improvement.  He looks more aware, as well as a bit heavier and harder on the puck.

He's still not developed enough to win a viable amount of faceoffs however.

And as much as he's progressed - it's a huge leap to handle hard minutes as effectively as Sutter - who is far better than most of this fanbase has realized.

So many games in a compact schedule though - Gaudette will get other opportunities - good secondary scoring depth (and has looked particularly good playing with Virtanen.

If/when the club really needs to win/compete, I think it's borderlline no-brainer though, if Sutter is healthy, the team is better with him forming a separate line as opposed to on Beagle's wing.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Yup, the fact that hes an almost every game player, thats already big for us. He's giving us Stetcher level of play with a 1/3 of the cost

I'm not big on analytics but from watching him I think he's played really well. He doesn't play over his head and seems to never panic and usually makes the smart play.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

I'll just say this, I'm not putting too much stock into beating a rebuilding senators team, but it's nice to get some goals and Demko looked much better tonight

It is a confidence series. Get the monkey off the back and systems working. This game was at the perfect time in our schedule.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I've been generally happy with Gaudette's improvement.  He looks more aware, as well as a bit heavier and harder on the puck.

He's still not developed enough to win a viable amount of faceoffs however.

And as much as he's progressed - it's a huge leap to handle hard minutes as effectively as Sutter - who is far better than most of this fanbase has realized.

So many games in a compact schedule though - Gaudette will get other opportunities - good secondary scoring depth (and has looked particularly good playing with Virtanen.

If/when the club really needs to win/compete, I think it's borderlline no-brainer though, if Sutter is healthy, the team is better with him forming a separate line as opposed to on Beagle's wing.

Sutter seems at his best as a 3c. I'm hard on AG a bit and I'm probably being hard on him but I just can't envision AG ever being good 3c, his skillset IMO is better suited for a top-six role. I know some believe a guy who is almost a 2c should be a 3c but I prefer a more traditional 3c.