The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | January 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, SNP, TSN5, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

34 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

At first I thought this was the North scoring leaders, then realized it's league-wide. Looks like all the offensive power is in the North.

is it the Offensive Power or is it the Defensive Deficiency

1 minute ago, lmm said:

is it the Offensive Power or is it the Defensive Deficiency

23 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

You look at the names and most of those guys can make any defense look bad. And Petey isn't even going yet and Matthews is hurt.

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We have seen time and again that teams that "back into" the playoffs get knocked out by teams that have gone through the grind (eg Columbus sweeping TB a couple years back). The games in the North so far haven't been all too physical just yet, so we will see how the wear and tear of all teams will occur by the end of it. Just cause we have some high scoring teams in the North doesn't mean other divisions haven't been battling it out. Minnesota/Arizona may be considered weak teams, but if they beat out their competition, then they've "earned it". The team that wins it all in the end will be the team that is the most determined to do so regardless of whatever team is supposedly better on paper.

This is likely a one-off re-alignment. Prior to this, the Pacific had all of the Cali teams and Arizona in it and surely many didn't like that we were in the "easy" division then. The level of the competition hasn't really changed, it's just a less favourable solution for the Canadian teams out of necessity.

My argument is that we still have to play against other good teams from other divisions and conference. In this current set up, the Wild and Coyotes get 8 match ups each against the Kings, Sharks and Ducks. Comparatively speaking, we get Canadiens x 9, Calgary x 10, Toronto x 9 and Winnipeg x 9.

In the past there are atleast other hurdles for teams in weaker division to go through.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

oh I know, but where are the Defensive names?

top 3 Norris candidates are south of the border

Barry Trots 

Canuck fans are constantly maligning Flames-Oilers and Leafs for having AHL defense and its only rose Coloured Blinders not putting the Canucks in that group as well

we'll see once we get to round 3 of the playoffs

1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

My argument is that we still have to play against other good teams from other divisions and conference. In this current set up, the Wild and Coyotes get 8 match ups each against the Kings, Sharks and Ducks. Comparatively speaking, we get Canadiens x 9, Calgary x 10, Toronto x 9 and Winnipeg x 9.

In the past there are atleast other hurdles for teams in weaker division to go through.

I get it, but like I said, in the past there was no pandemic. There was really no other way to do this. We will feel more accomplished making the playoffs altogether if we do and if we don't, it's because of the hard fight we had to deal with. Imagine those teams missing the playoffs in the "weaker" division. We will come out a better team from this regardless of the result (more positive experience for the young guys on our team).

1 minute ago, lmm said:

Barry Trots 

Canuck fans are constantly maligning Flames-Oilers and Leafs for having AHL defense and its only rose Coloured Blinders not putting the Canucks in that group as well

At the very least, we get to have some very entertaining offensive hockey up North. I'm sure those south of the border would enjoy the hockey here right now rather than watching their trap zone defense.

7 hours ago, Nathancanuck said:

Exactly how I see it too!

I think we could and should have signed Tanev instead of Hamonic

Roussel at 1 million retained to somewhere for a 7th or for nothing (any player we can bury without cap on the team)

Beartschi+6th round pick for nothing

Would it have taken more to get rid of Roussel and Baertschi?

On the other hand we would have more cap trouble as well as Expansion draft problems next year but our D would look pretty solid!

It may have taken more than a 6th and 7th (particularly dumping Baertschi - I may have dumped more serviceable cap insteadd)- and it would have meant exposing a D contract in expansion.

I'm 'ok' with what they elected to do - my point there is primarily for the crowd whining incessantly about not signing Markstrom (it's ironic given the usually rabid youth culture mentality in this market - ie an absurd contradiction for this market to by whining that the team retained Demko) - and it's to point out that the team is as deep in youth at RW as anywhere.  Toffoli not only would have committed more cap to wingers over another 4 years - but got in the way of Hoglander/Podkolzin types - who imo, all things considered, are quite potentially better all around players than Toffoli in due course.  I like Toffoli, but he's nowhere near the mobile buzz saw that Hoglander is, and Podkolzin, well - there is a prototypical two way power forward.   Toffoli is a difficult loss - but they acquired him when Boeser was injured and there was no Covid cap crunch (projecting the ability to re-sign him would have been understandable - and obviously things changed to say the least.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Hmm don’t like the idea of taking OJ out of the line/up but like the idea of inserting Chatfield back in if he’s healthy. Guess it comes down to handed preference. Maybe they’ll alternate with healthy vets in the line up

Next 2 game are huge.  Winning them both and getting back to 500 would be massive.  I think 62 points gets you the 4 seed, and we will hopefully be in a dog fight with the Oilers and Jets to get there.  We have 9 in a row against the Habs, Leafs and Flames, who I feel are the clear top 3, starting Feb 1.  If we can stay in the race after those games, we should be in OK shape going forward.

12 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

woot

woot

Juolevi picke 3rd star

moved off the roster

Goooooooooooo GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEner

I smell another Stealthnuck Tankjob

Edited by lmm
  • Wat 2

7 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Next 2 game are huge.  Winning them both and getting back to 500 would be massive.  I think 62 points gets you the 4 seed, and we will hopefully be in a dog fight with the Oilers and Jets to get there.  We have 9 in a row against the Habs, Leafs and Flames, who I feel are the clear top 3, starting Feb 1.  If we can stay in the race after those games, we should be in OK shape going forward.

next 2 gamess keeps the Green crew from getting fired 

5 minutes ago, lmm said:

woot

woot

Juolevi picke 3rd star

moved off the roster

I feel like a lot of the reason behind this move is to slowly integrate Benn and Chatfield in the lineup. Injuries will occur regardless, I think Green knows that the Sens aren't too bad of a matchup and to give Benn and Chatfield some time to get there legs going could be a good thing, even though I wish they kept Juolevi in to keep up the momentum he has going for him. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, lmm said:

Barry Trots 

?  names?

Leaving the Canucks aside and any potential 'rose' claims - (and the Leafs who I can't honestly name here...)

As well as the fact that the Norris has become somewhat of a joke / scoring race....

Giordano Tanev (people here slept on Tanev for the most part, but he's as good a shutdown D as they come).  That pairing is as hard to produce against as they come.

Weber...Petry...beasts (and Edmondson, Chiarot) - that is a top 4 as solid as any.

You will hear/know more of Morrissey in due course.  Very few young D I'd consider in his class.

Chabot - easily one of the best young defensemen in the NHL (some of the names that made the top 20 Norris voting, while Chabot did not - are absurd).

Even Deadmonton - they're without Klefbom - but with him in their lineup, they have a few guys that can handle themselves without the puck.

The idea that the North can't defend / is defensively deficient - is small sample stuff with perhaps some Canadian inferiority complex thrown in.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, lmm said:

woot

woot

Juolevi picke 3rd star

moved off the roster

first - it's a day off practice

second - they have rested Juolevi once already in a back to back situation.

He has been playing some pretty challenging minutes imo - I don't think it's a terrible idea to pace him early - and it has nothing to do with 'Greener' lacking the sense to 'reward' him, or 'tanking', wadr.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

first - it's a day off practice

second - they have rested Juolevi once already in a back to back situation.

He has been playing some pretty challenging minutes imo - I don't think it's a terrible idea to pace him early - and it has nothing to do with 'Greener' lacking the sense to 'reward' him, or 'tanking', wadr.

ON, What do you imagine they'll aim for with Rathbone this shortened season?

Assume our D get lucky for health(touch wood)..how would you deploy the kid(any AHL)?