The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | January 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, SNP, TSN5, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

17 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I was a bit concerned a few days ago when Green opted to go (back) to a bottom six with separate Beagle and Sutter lines {which I really agree with, because I think they're a better, more balanced team with the two veteran centered bottom six lines) - but when Sutter wound up on the wing with MacEwen taking draws, was wondering about Sutter's health once again....but looks like he's alright.

Tonight noticed Motte taking the odd defensive zone draw with Beagle on the ice (not on a Beagle wave-out) - and it's starting to look like Green et al are working on/developing their young natural centers (who've been primarily on the wing early in their careers) - Motte and MacEwen taking primary draws is interesting - maybe building some base for the possibility that one or both develop back into centers in due course (or at the very least, making those lines more versatile.

Regardless of that - did those shutdown guys ever look unreal again tonight - not just Sutter - but Beagle and Motte, once again - getting the best of opponents on the counerpunch.

Motte has played center his entire life until coming to Vancouver, when we put him on the wing

MacEwen was a regular center for Utica last year until his call up to the big club

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Benn was good tonight but he isn't always consistently good.

We'll see if he can string together a few good games.

Would be nice.

was alright against Montreal last game as well - and played better in the playoffs than he did last regular season - so hopefully the 'real' Benn (the player they thought they were signing) is arriving.

• Cheers 1

Just now, oldnews said:

Hoglander has some special upside for sure (and works hard without the puck as well) - but in fairness to Motte, he was a 32 goal and 56 pt scorer (in 38 games in Michigan) and Hobey Baker finalist... He may be breaking into the league in a bottom six hard minutes role - but he's a skilled guy himself /may not have Hoglander's upside in the end, but conversely, it's unlikely that Hoglander becomes quite the shutdown force that Motte is (a highly skilled defensive shutdown forward - arguably as difficult a role as there is among skaters).  Players that are that good in those kind of minutes at Motte's age are rare as well.

Motte has 22 goals in 148 games in Vancouver - when you factor in that those have come with 28.1% ozone starts in pretty much exclusively a hard minutes shutdown role - that is impressive production.

It’s not a knock on Motter. I just see some similarities. I’d have Motte on my team everyday of the week. Couldn’t believe people were actually calling him out the first couple games of the season but I guess that’s how it goes around here sometimes. I think Motte has a pretty underrated shot as well. Thank for the numbers. You’re posts are always so well written and thought out, I enjoy reading them 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Mackewan was awesome tonight.  I would love Green to try him with Petey and Miller.  The line needs a big banger and Mac is fast with good hands.

I think a simple solution for the top line is to avoid dumping it in as much as possible. They seemed to carry the puck in a few more times tonight.

I also noticed on a few dump ins Miller created enough space for Petey or Brock to have a solid chance at retrieving the puck with good angles.

When the top line dumps it without the angles it's pretty meager with Petey and Boes forechecking.

I think the best solution is to create that space. They were better tonight.

Let's be realistic, Mac isnt going to get top line minutes. Proper strategy and execution is key for that line.

I still noticed on a few occasions where the ol dump n chase led to nothing, but it was an improvement tonight.

Edited by Maginator

Just now, oldnews said:

was alright against Montreal last game as well - and played better in the playoffs than he did last regular season - so hopefully the 'real' Benn (the player they thought they were signing) is arriving.

He was great vs STL but then struggled vs Vegas.

I feel he does good depending the type of team you play. He struggles vs speed but does really well in physical games.

This sort of stuff is normal though. We see it all the time.

Teams like the Habs/Sens and maybe the Jets we should try to get Benn in.

I did like Hughes/Benn so maybe give that an extended look.

I could see a guy like Chatfield, who's a good skater, being better in games vs the Leafs/Oilers where they have speed. Small sample size for Jalen though. Need more games to get a better read on him.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Motte has played center his entire life until coming to Vancouver, when we put him on the wing

That's incorrect.

Motte played wing his entire NHL career thus far - was a winger in Chicago and a winger in his short stint in Columbus as well - before coming here (wasn't converted to wing upon arrival in Vancouver).

As I said - Motte is a natural center - he was a center at the amateur/ and college levels - but it's looking like Green is starting to test platooning him/perhaps a sign that they're considering him closer to ready to playing that role in the NHL.

I realize MacEwen was a center in Utica - but moving from the AHL to taking dzone draws on a bottom six shutdown line at the NHL level is a huge jump - and thus young natural centers tend to break in as wingers - largely because it's difficult to win draws as a young NHL center (and having your shutdown lines lose a lot of draws is not one of the ingredients in competitiveness).

9 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

It’s not a knock on Motter. I just see some similarities. I’d have Motte on my team everyday of the week. Couldn’t believe people were actually calling him out the first couple games of the season but I guess that’s how it goes around here sometimes. I think Motte has a pretty underrated shot as well. Thank for the numbers. You’re posts are always so well written and thought out, I enjoy reading them 

that calling out was absurd - but it had nothing to do with his actual performance and everything to do with those people gazing at a couple penalties.

I agree with you about Hoglander though - one of the things that make Motte such a high end shutdown forward is his relentless puck hounding, and he's a great skater (his pivoting is high end.  He engages like Burrows did, but arguably has the gift of a step on Burrows - and Hoglander also has that 'edging' / pivoting, lateral movement - and attacks the play.  I love the fact that they're going to have that element in the 'top 6' with Hoglander - I think he's s a great complement to Horvat - and he's already a reliable enough defensive forward imo - and will only get better.  Green must be pretty happy with that fit - because those seem like his 'kind of players'.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Awesome job by the bottom 6.  Congrats to Sutts and Juolevi.  Nice to see that solid 60 minute game.  Now, I hope we can replicate that effort.  I expect a much tighter game on Wednesday but if we can have less giveaways and play like we did tonight (and also stay out of the penalty box), we should be OK.  Go Canucks Go!

Edited by sockeye
  • Cheers 1