The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | January 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, SNP, TSN5, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Can you repeat them?

Basically said for the first time he appears to have lost the killer instinct. Or rather he's not playing with that same desire he had when he first entered the league when it looked like he was pissed off and he'd hound guys all over the ice, even behind our net.

He said once he gets back to basics like defence first and simplifying the game the results should come back.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Basically said for the first time he appears to have lost the killer instinct. Or rather he's not playing with that same desire he had when he first entered the league when it looked like he was pissed off and he'd hound guys all over the ice, even behind our net.

He said once he gets back to basics like defence first and simplifying the game the results should come back.

Even just the shooting. He had a shot from the top of the circles yesterday when he was just quick to pull the trigger. I'd like to see more of that than trying to thread the needle at the blue line. He doesnt look like the petey wr know right now but I'm not worried long term. 

Thanks for filling me in.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

Hoglander has some special upside for sure (and works hard without the puck as well) - but in fairness to Motte, he was a 32 goal and 56 pt scorer (in 38 games in Michigan) and Hobey Baker finalist... He may be breaking into the league in a bottom six hard minutes role - but he's a skilled guy himself /may not have Hoglander's upside in the end, but conversely, it's unlikely that Hoglander becomes quite the shutdown force that Motte is (a highly skilled defensive shutdown forward - arguably as difficult a role as there is among skaters).  Players that are that good in those kind of minutes at Motte's age are rare as well.

Motte has 22 goals in 148 games in Vancouver - when you factor in that those have come with 28.1% ozone starts in pretty much exclusively a hard minutes shutdown role - that is impressive production.

Motte sold me as a guy that earned more minutes after his performance last playoffs against Vegas, he was one of the only players consistently making it hard for them... He's scoring while on the fourth line for the most part.   Not an easy ask with Beagle as your regular C.    For sure he has more to give offensively, and his goals have a penchant for being big ones,  trying, game winning or ones that break ties.    Feel there is still more to give, and once he's either provided better offensive line mates or moves up the depth chart the points will come .

He is getting more minutes - (5th for forwards) but a lot of that is PK duty.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Even just the shooting. He had a shot from the top of the circles yesterday when he was just quick to pull the trigger. I'd like to see more of that than trying to thread the needle at the blue line. He doesnt look like the petey wr know right now but I'm not worried long term. 

Thanks for filling me in.

No problem. Yeah just keep ripping shots (passing to Sutter) and don't be too cute. A nice bounce or two probably wouldn't hurt either.

@nuck-lifer I thought Benn looked real gud last night too!

17 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Benn and Hughes pairing was looking good last night.

Keeping it simple with quick passes and playing the safe game for Benn is the best thing for Quinn right now.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Hamonic returns if his solid play continues.

Benn has been SOLID in his first two games of the season. Breath of fresh air tbh 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Benn and Hughes pairing was looking good last night.

Keeping it simple with quick passes and playing the safe game for Benn is the best thing for Quinn right now.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Hamonic returns if his solid play continues.

My guess would be Hamonic would be on the outside looking in, but still getting games to spell off Edler or Juolevi as the games comes fast and furious.  Of course this is probably all moot as once Hamonic is ready I'm sure they'll be another defenseman injured :unsure:

Wonder if Green maybe had a talk with some of the vets about raising the bar and setting a tone?   Helping get the young guns out of a funk. They all played with the switch flipped to on all game.  I have always liked Sutter but he'd have intervals of intensity but nothing sustained... last night he just brought it.  Played like a man on a mission.

I am not worried about Petey...especially after a win like last night where he'll be inspired.  He's young and so competitive and it seems to weigh heavily on him when the team loses.  He will contribute in some way, shape or form and is a team player.  He may  be adjusting to locker room changes and if that's part of it...he will.  Time and a few good wins will likely help clear his head a bit.  

As far as the gloom and doom crowd....I honestly don't slam them because there is reason to worry at times when the team is disjointed.  Can't gloat over one good win....it's about building off it and it proves nothing more than there is the capability to gather momentum.  With that and win or lose, I have a hard time hating on my team (I tried a little...didn't feel right).

Love this team....confidence is huge and this win should help with that, but they can't rest on it.  This isn't about proving yourself in A game...it's a grind and you have to bring that every game.  This season is NOT going to be easy...I mean I have a hard time keeping up with it as a viewer...imagine how they feel executing it.  

When they're completely invested, throwing hits, winning face offs, skating hard, battling on the boards and forechecking....they have success.  If they try to take an easier route, it falls apart pretty quickly.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Best he's looked as a Canuck.

Agreed. Benn looks like he belongs in the top-6 full-time since he's been back.  Will be interesting to see what happens when Hamonic is back.

Great to see nearly the whole team get back on track last night.  Weaker opponent yes, but how many times have we seen the Canucks lay an egg in a team that they were supposed to beat?  Nice to see the bottom 6 forwards have such a strong game and for Sutter to get his hat trick. 

Miller and Pettersson definitely still look off which is concerning.  I think Miller will be fine.  Just looks to me like his timing is off which perhaps is a factor of his quarantine.  Not making excuses necessarily, but I'm sure the time off affects guys differently.  Pettersson is more concerning simply because he's such a key part of this team.  I'm confident Pettersson will hit his stride again - Rintoul brought up how Mackinnon had a a few significant droughts in his 3rd season - but can only hope it won't take super long.

I wonder how the trade market is this season given quarantine requirements and tight cap/salary situations.  With Pearson, Sutter and Benn on expiring contracts, they would presumably be good rentals for teams but would teams really spend assets to acquire anyone later in the season if those players have to quarantine for 2-weeks?  That might limit the trade market to within a division but would that trade really go down unless a team is truly out of contention?  Personally I suspect management is content to hang on to the vets on expiring contracts which would mostly leave Myers, Roussel and Beagle (I guess Schmidt too and technically Eriksson but he seems to be done in principle?) as the most senior vets under contract for next season.

14 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

But here's what I think will happen tonight. The Canucks will come out flying and get a 4-0 lead in the 1st. They'll play better D, and end up winning 7-1.

a good beatdown against another team will help build confidence

Yep!

Credit where its due.

Coaches felt some heat and passed the test.  Re-focussed the boys to an inspired win.  And I couldn't care less how bad the Sens looked.

Had we remained in the same funk like against the Habs, things could easily have been much uglier this morning.

Loved Pettersson warming to his new role as enforcer.  Gubby wanted no part of him after getting decked.

TOI was interesting - Motte played 2x Jake and 3x Zack, Quinn down 5 minutes from 25 the game prior. 

Lots of really good performances but Hog stole the show imo, could we really have dreamt signing another Motte?

2 Bure-lights scaring defences is such an exciting prospect.

EP makes himself easy to play against once he stops that shoot first mentality which made him so fearful when he first entered the league. He has to make quicker decisions to put pucks on net or to pass. Every time he stops the puck to slow down play he gets himself in trouble. He will be checked and all shooting and passing lanes are blocked, resulting in turnovers.

EP's only play in PP is to pass the puck back to Hughes or to look for making that perfect cross-ice pass for a tip in. Obviously it doesn't work. He simply won't put pucks on net which would create chaos for the PK. His pass only tactics had produced countless turnovers and even goals against. It shouldn't be difficult to fix. Just shoot more or at least fake some to move the PK around. Otherwise the top PP unit will keep passing the puck around for 2 mins without shots or goals. The only thing they will get are turnovers, breakaways and short-handed goals against.

I think Green was right in the post-game after the last one against Montreal when he said it was something to build on. It wasn't perfect but it was a step in the right direction.

I think this was the same thing. It probably feels great for the boys and takes a lot of pressure off the entire organization to get a convincing win here but again, just a step. 

Not to focus on the negative here but in the end, we were still pretty sloppy/undisciplined and it was against a team that's not trying to ice a competitive roster.

Enjoy the win, hope it builds confidence, but we still need to be better against any team that isn't a pushover or it'll be back to being ugly.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 2