The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | January 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, SNP, TSN5, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

it may be necessary too - because Pearson's cap might be needed elsewhere (and like Hoglander, Podkolzin could be the next case of a young winger emerging and making re-signing a veteran not such a no-brainer).   It might make sense to sign more of a Leivo type than Pearson moving forward, although it might depend on what kind of terms Pearson expects/commands.

Yup you keep him if it makes sense cap, term wise, etc. Otherwise let him go and keep letting the next wave make it’s way. Which will work itself out anyway unless your buying other players but judging by this last off season and the salary cap I doubt it. 

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Right back it tomorrow.

3 games in 4 nights...one day to practice....3 games in 4 nights....

insane schedule...following an already abbreviated training camp/preseason.

a large part of the reason I didn't see the slow start as poor 'coaching' - at all

actually - the inverse - how well Green has managed to get such young groups performing, as they did last season - a testament to good coaching imo.

he hasn't really had that time this year - such a young group {continue to be increasingly young) - not shocking that it's taking some time (with so little relative 'coaching' time - and practices few and further between....}

• Cheers 2

Everyone had a strong game except for arguably our top line and Virtanen. Ottowa really are terrible and gifted us a couple of goals, defensively they're worse than us but it was like watching the Habs play against our defence.

We still have a lot to tighten up but this is a step in the right direction. Two more games against these guys will hopefully bring Petey out before a real test in Winnipeg.

Our bottom 6 have played strongly the last couple of games, certainly can't fault them. I think we need more from Schmidt and of course Pettersson and Miller.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yup you keep him if it makes sense cap, term wise, etc. Otherwise let him go and keep letting the next wave make it’s way. Which will work itself out anyway unless your buying other players but judging by this last off season and the salary cap I doubt it. 

I think it was a bit of a package decision this past offseason.

They had no choice but to retain either Markstrom or Demko - expansion looming dictating that.

So when you elect Demko - in my opinion you key more on his trajectory - and arguably more in line with the rest of the young core's - so while I don't see it as necessarily 'taking a step back' - I see it as being more patient / willing to ride out more growing pains in the shorter term but trying to sustain competitiveness as much as they can (and you never know).  As hard as it is to see guys like Markstrom (perhaps my all time favorite goaltender tbh - and Tanev and Toffoli leave - it was pretty much forced for the most part by expansion and covid - as well as the reality that they have such young talent in both goal (Dipietro also in the system) and at RW....for me, the hardest decision was Tanev (i would have signed him first).

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

1st point in 7 games ... Let's not get too excited lol 

It was never about points. We’re happy for the kid. We want to see him continue develop his game most importantly defensively which he’s looked good so far for a rookie 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

1st point in 7 games ... Let's not get too excited lol 

I know, but he's actually been one of the better defenders this season, guy was called a bust even though he was hit with some pretty bad injuries early on. I'm actually thinking he's going to be better than expected 

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Still remember when he basically stole a spot in the lineup from sheer work ethic and determination. And that’s coming from a guy that was suppose to be an offensive player coming outta college. 
Also remember when everyone was crying over then Vanek trade saying we got no pick back. I love when these things happen. What a trade that turned out to be and I really liked Vanek 

that was an epic trade thread lol.  one of many.  never any shortage of drama in a Canucks trade thread.

• Haha 1