The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | January 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHLN, SNP, TSN5, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

I honestly don't think Pettersson is lacking confidence in himself, he appears to me to be unhappy. He's not battling like he used to, not putting in that extra D effort. Never see him smiling much anymore. I wonder if the off season changes have really affected him more than we know. Maybe he doesn't get along with the extrovert Schmidt? Maybe he misses having Marky around? I was watching him last night and I saw a player who isn't struggling because he can't. It looks like he's not giving his best. 

That sure beat the hell out of the Montreal games but before we get to high on ourselves it was Ottawa we just played.  Don't take this wrong - I am happy they won. Happy for Sutter and his 1st hat trick.  But I think maybe for the 1st time this season they actually played as a team.

Hoglander and OJ - nice additions, MacEwen and Chatfield (I am aware he did not play last night) look like they are ready to make the step to the big club.  We still have  more building to do but it is slowly coming together.

And I agree - I don't think Tyler Motte gets the credit he deserves.  Hustle, drive  and enough skill to play  up and down the line up if needed.

Hoping for a repeat performance on Wed

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I honestly don't think Pettersson is lacking confidence in himself, he appears to me to be unhappy. He's not battling like he used to, not putting in that extra D effort. Never see him smiling much anymore. I wonder if the off season changes have really affected him more than we know. Maybe he doesn't get along with the extrovert Schmidt? Maybe he misses having Marky around? I was watching him last night and I saw a player who isn't struggling because he can't. It looks like he's not giving his best. 

Good - I'm not the only one thinking Petey doesn't look very happy these days -  but really nor sure what the issue is.

The other person I think seems off is JT Miller

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Did anyone notice how sickly Petey looked prior to tonight?

Every player goes through a slump and it seems a lot of skilled guys are struggling but Petey has looked slow and seemed to have trouble in every facet of his game.

Tonight tho the first thing I noticed was how much better he looked and aside from the PP he looked more like himself.  Hopefully he was under the weather and is feeling better.

maybe he had covid when miller did but didnt show up in tests

22 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Its definitely one way to look at it. I've pondered this myself but less about the departures and more about other distractions. Hes doing alot of side promo stuff and the contract and switching agents. Its a lot of a kid.

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

Sutter has scored 156 NHL goals.

In a shutdown role (ie under 40% ozone starts for his career).

Very few players are capable of that kind of production in hard minutes.

That takes relatively consistent offensive instincts.

His transition game is strong, and he’s great at picking off passes.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think he just misses Tanev (rather than not liking his new teammate). Tanev is the team dad and it was noted that he really adopted the young guys in Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser as their "kids." They refer to Tanev and his fiance as "mom" and "dad." Think about showing up to your usual workplace without your favourite co-worker who really took you under his wing and showed you the ropes of how to do the job, that's what he is going through right now. Except in professional sport, a family like teammate is often not replaceable. Stecher is also one of Petey's best friends and I do believe he misses him a lot as well.

I believe over time the bond will develop and the new comers will be part of the family, but this takes time. I don't believe Petey dislikes any of his new teammates as we have brought in quality individuals in Holtby, Schmidt and Hamonic. It is an adjustment period and the team is in the middle of trying to figure out its new identity after the departure of some long time friend and fan favourite teammates in Marky, Tanev and Stecher.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, taskicon said:

Petey is probably just feeling blue from the Covid isolation. He wasn’t able to go see his friends and family this off season.

It is a very different atmosphere among the teams (all of them) this year.  Not being allowed to socialize outside of official team areas, not being allowed to as much as hang out in team mates rooms, etc, has to be harder on the younger players.  No, it shouldn't affect their play, but it can't help but impact them mentally.  No idea what Petey's problem is, sure he lost Marky and Tanev, but he is very tight with Boeser and Hughes, so really not sure how much that is playing into it.  He does seem like a very different player than the one we saw in game one though.

39 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

That sure beat the hell out of the Montreal games but before we get to high on ourselves it was Ottawa we just played.  Don't take this wrong - I am happy they won. Happy for Sutter and his 1st hat trick.  But I think maybe for the 1st time this season they actually played as a team.

Hoglander and OJ - nice additions, MacEwen and Chatfield (I am aware he did not play last night) look like they are ready to make the step to the big club.  We still have  more building to do but it is slowly coming together.

And I agree - I don't think Tyler Motte gets the credit he deserves.  Hustle, drive  and enough skill to play  up and down the line up if needed.

Hoping for a repeat performance on Wed

I didn't think they played a great game and likely would have been exploited by a better team.  That said, sometimes you just need to beat up on someone inferior to get your confidence back.........the talent is there, they systems are there, it's a question of heart at this point

2 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

Benn and Hughes pairing was looking good last night.

Keeping it simple with quick passes and playing the safe game for Benn is the best thing for Quinn right now.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Hamonic returns if his solid play continues.

I've always been hard on Benn but he's looked solid this year. Nice having a vet like him to give the blueline some stability. (never thought I'd ever say that lol) 

8 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I think he just misses Tanev (rather than not liking his new teammate). Tanev is the team dad and it was noted that he really adopted the young guys in Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser as their "kids." They refer to Tanev and his fiance as "mom" and "dad." Think about showing up to your usual workplace without your favourite co-worker who really took you under his wing and showed you the ropes of how to do the job, that's what he is going through right now. Except in professional sport, a family like teammate is often not replaceable. Stecher is also one of Petey's best friends and I do believe he misses him a lot as well.

I believe over time the bond will develop and the new comers will be part of the family, but this takes time. I don't believe Petey dislikes any of his new teammates as we have brought in quality individuals in Holtby, Schmidt and Hamonic. It is an adjustment period and the team is in the middle of trying to figure out its new identity after the departure of some long time friend and fan favourite teammates in Marky, Tanev and Stecher.

as I've said, when an organization truly gives the team over to a young core to carry, they usually take a step back for a season or two.  It happened to Colorado, Calgary, Washington etc etc.  Sometimes you have to take that step back to take steps forward

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, CanucksJay said:

I've always been hard on Benn but he's looked solid this year. Nice having a vet like him to give the blueline some stability. (never thought I'd ever say that lol) 

I thought for sure Benn was going to score last night.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

as I've said, when an organization truly gives the team over to a young core to carry, they usually take a step back for a season or two.  It happened to Colorado, Calgary, Washington etc etc.  Sometimes you have to take that step back to take steps forward

On another note. We made the playoffs in 2007 when the Sedins gradually emerge into the front and center of the team while we still have the old guards in Morrison, Naslund and Linden. The team took a step back in 2008 and then made a huge step forward in 2009 and doesn't look back until the core players starts to decline.

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

He's still just 22. He's bound to have a down season, and this one might be it. It's all part of learning to be in the NHL and overcoming adversity. 

Hughes will probably have one of those as well. Might be this year, who knows. Can't expect all our A+ prospects to develop in a straight, upward trajectory - there's going to be bumps and dips along the way.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Vintage 2

Hard to play every game with urgency like last years bubble playoffs were.  Our young core struggles with this.  Key is they are learning.  In my opinion its a hiccup.  Better to happen now then on a stretch drive.  Lots of season (but a short one) left to compete for one of these North Division playoff spots...

...take a page from hoglander and get some hustle, or horvat and bring your work ethos, and they'll all rebound in no time. 

• Vintage 1