The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Madison Bowey

Teams could have acquired him FOR FREE on waivers a long time ago. He was also a free agent up until this point.

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2021/1/28/22254559/chicago-blackhawks-free-agent-signing-defensemen-madison-bowey-reports-updates

Interesting points from this article.

The signing is a bit out of left-field but the motivation is likely two-fold:

• It gives the Blackhawks another right-handed shot on D with Adam Boqvist on the COVID-19 Protocol list.
  • It helps the Blackhawks meet the minimum exposure requirements for the expansion draft in terms of defensemen.

While the second point is definitely valid, let’s hope there isn’t much emphasis on the first, because there are several defensemen already with the Blackhawks that have experience playing on the right-side: Nicolas Beaudin, Lucas Carlsson, and Wyatt Kalynuk. Those three are legitimate prospects that should be getting playing time either in the NHL or be re-assigned to Rockford to play top minutes. However, Stan Bowman is fond of reclamation projects, so the Blackhawks may be interested to see if Bowey can reach his pre-draft potential despite his shortcoming in his NHL career so far.

Of course, we may not need to worry because it’s possible Bowey was just signed for depth in the AHL after Nick Seeler left the organization, though that defensive group is also crowded and has more veteran signings than prospects.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Hmmm. that could be a useful player in a depth role.  His contract also means he could be used for expansion fodder.

Low risk, high reward... 

I reckon at this point it's more low risk, average reward. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

I reckon at this point it's more low risk, average reward. 

Ya, I suppose I define “high reward” for a free pick up to be a guy who can play regular 3rd pairing minutes and be effective without having to be sheltered.

Edited by Provost

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Would have traded Hutton for him. 17 points and 53 games last year. The question is can he play defence? His plus/minus was awful at -16, but he was playing for Detroit. 

It's doubtful that either of them would make the current Canuck roster, so it wouldn't have mattered anyways.

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Remember when people were pissed we didn’t trade Hamhuis for him straight up. 

People were pissed just in general about Hammer not being traded for literally anything. I am more pissed we didn't just keep him. Call me dumb but I hate letting go of key guys even as they get older. Nazzy and Hammer shoulda retired Canucks.

• Cheers 1

On 1/28/2021 at 4:48 PM, canuck73_3 said:

Remember when people were pissed we didn’t trade Hamhuis for him straight up. 

If you went back in time and told people (me included) we would pass up our chance to have Pouliot, Honka and Bowey all on the roster even I’d be calling for Jim’s head. :lol:  

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2