The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Nice to have a superstar or two who can put the puck in the net, but unless the team has great D, they aren't going anywhere.

Hughes is a great player, but he's not great defensively. Always caught up ice, the giveaways, etc. High risk high reward type of player. Hamonic is just bad luck. Benn and Edler have been decent. Schmidt needs to be better, Chatfield is a spare part filling in for an NHL Dman IMO.

Is it Baumgartner?  I mean, he wasn't a very good Dman when he played, why is he coaching? Good people person? :picard:

Going out on a limb here, i suspect if may be because the Head Coach and GM have faith in him as an assistant Coach?

Gretzky was one of the best players, not much of a Coach, just sayin!

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

GM and now Coach calling on Jake to show he's ready. I hope he comes out flying, hitting and scoring, but please stop circling the net and giving away the puck!

IMHO i think they are shopping him around for a trade?

Go Canucks Go

And yet another ex-Canuck that JB let slip away that will hurt us,   Manny Malhotra.

Who has the leafs @ about 40% on the PP. 

A lot of talk about JB losing foundational players (actual ones).

But on the management/coaching side he's let go a lot of talent too

Gilman

Linden

Malhotra

Brackett

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Convincing John said:

This reminds me of one of those moms that blindly defend their kids who are just complete disasters lol. Dude, it’s ok to admit that Jim Benning’s off-season was a complete disaster. These same people who always give props to Benning for burning money on UFA’s and cashing in draft picks/prospects  to stay “competitive” for the good of development. Now it’s ok to step back for the good of the future? You guys don’t understand. This step back, should have happened the day he came on board. Benning managed to kill everything he did well by getting himself in cap hell. 

Cap hell is when you are forced to trade assets to unload a contract.

Benning made the choice of Nate over Tanev (verified by multiple sources) Demko over Marky, (Benning made a similar dollar offer less term no ED protection) TT was always gonna be a luxury that we don't need especially his age and having some kids that can fill that role.

We are averaging almost 4 goals a game, TT is not missed.

Here's an idea, judge the off-season say halfway through? Not after 13 games in 20 days with no pre-season.

That way you won't possibly look silly when people bookmark your posts, 2 months from now laughing saying " remember when our fanbase had a meltdown after 2 losses in a row to the Habs and a rough start after literally having played the most regular season games in a 20 something day span in modern times? Good times.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, kilgore said:

And yet another ex-Canuck that JB let slip away that will hurt us,   Manny Malhotra.

Who has the leafs @ about 40% on the PP. 

A lot of talk about JB losing foundational players (actual ones).

But on the management/coaching side he's let go a lot of talent too

Gilman

Linden

Malhotra

Brackett

Linden fired Gilman

Ownership parted ways with Linden 

Malhotra is trying to fast track his career, and moved on.Happens all the time.

To my knowledge, Brackett was offered a contract by the Canucks

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

At some point part of me wonders when the coaching staff start giving some of the taxi squad guys a look. 

Would like to see Rathbone, Bailey, DiPietro, and Michaelis not sit for an entire season and not play at all. Wonder if any of them will eventually be Utica bound, can't say sitting in the pressbox does much for their development. Most concerned for DiPietro and Rathbone.  Both are likely to be important guys for us moving forward, they need to get games in. Utica start's their season tomorrow.

Its an advantage to have the taxi squad around right now, utilize it and see what you have in some of these guys.

Even if they demote Eriksson they wouldn’t have the cap space to recall Rathbone.  The team is using LTIR so the performance bonus has to also be covered in a recall.  They need 1.775M in cap space to recall Rathbone.  CapFriendly shows them with 50K of remaining LTIR cap space.  Demoting Eriksson will get them around 1.1M. 

If they demote Juolevi, they’ll gain 863K in cap space but his recall cap hit would increase to 1.7M because his performance bonus would now need to be covered to be brought back up.  Taxi squad is also maximum 6 players so they can’t send 2 down and only recall 1 player.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

GM and now Coach calling on Jake to show he's ready. I hope he comes out flying, hitting and scoring, but please stop circling the net and giving away the puck!

IMHO i think they are shopping him around for a trade?

Go Canucks Go

He is so lazy. Sits on the half wall waiting for things to happen. He should mirror what Hogs does. Go create, work hard, skate hard. The game will reward you if you put in the work. Look at Hogs. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Even if they demote Eriksson they wouldn’t have the cap space to recall Rathbone.  The team is using LTIR so the performance bonus has to also be covered in a recall.  They need 1.775M in cap space to recall Rathbone.  CapFriendly shows them with 50K of remaining LTIR cap space.  Demoting Eriksson will get them around 1.1M.

If they demote Juolevi, they’ll gain 863K in cap space but his recall cap hit would increase to 1.7M because his performance bonus would now need to be covered to be brought back up.  

A+ info, thanks.

Also good thing cap space apparently isn't a problem. 

So, what if they get their butts kicked again tonight?

I appreciate Green's confidence in Jake, but telling the world that Jake will bring a lot of energy tonight (we've been waiting 6 years). I don't buy it, but I hope he proves me wrong.

I'm thinking Benning and Green will get the benefit of the doubt this season due to COVID, but if the Canucks finish near the bottom, like in recent years, then one of them should be fired at the end of the season, if not both.

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, what if they get their butts kicked again tonight?

I appreciate Green's confidence in Jake, but telling the world that Jake will bring a lot of energy tonight (we've been waiting 6 years). I don't buy it, but I hope he proves me wrong.

I'm thinking Benning and Green will get the benefit of the doubt this season due to COVID, but if the Canucks finish near the bottom, like in recent years, then one of them should be fired at the end of the season, if not both.

I still think Jake is afraid to be 'himself'. It happened after his suspension when freight trained the guy from SJ. 

He hasn't been the same since. Like Caesar teaching the dogs to be passive. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Convincing John said:

This reminds me of one of those moms that blindly defend their kids who are just complete disasters lol. Dude, it’s ok to admit that Jim Benning’s off-season was a complete disaster. These same people who always give props to Benning for burning money on UFA’s and cashing in draft picks/prospects  to stay “competitive” for the good of development. Now it’s ok to step back for the good of the future? You guys don’t understand. This step back, should have happened the day he came on board. Benning managed to kill everything he did well by getting himself in cap hell. 

Agreed, he put himself in a big hole with the Eriksson signing. The only other bad one IMO was Roussel who isn't worth his money but at the time, is exactly what the team needed - a gritty Burrows-like player (who has unfortunately really regressed). The "cap hell" he's put us in is really just the Eriksson 6M hole plus I would say Roussel's money which isn't worth it. Look around the league, he's not the only one by a long-shot who has wasted money lying around.

What I see now is that he's thinking long term, he has to sign Hughes and Pettersson as well in the upcoming off-season so we physically couldn't have signed Marky, Tanev and Toffoli realistically, and kept Boeser, Horvat, Myers and then dish out massive contracts to Petey and Hughes. They simply don't fit unless you want 800-900K AHL players playing in our bottom-6 and bottom-3 defence like Toronto.

I know it's hard to see and everyone on CDC is going mad because in the short-term, this off-season looked appalling but it was the right thing to do in the long-run and unfortunately no one will see that. Wait until this coming off-season where Benning will really shine - sign our stars to smart contracts, move some dead-weights and most importantly look to pry away an excess skilled player a team is scared to lose for nothing to Seattle. This past off-season was never going to be pretty.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Linden fired Gilman

Ownership parted ways with Linden 

Malhotra is trying to fast track his career, and moved on.Happens all the time.

To my knowledge, Brackett was offered a contract by the Canucks

Excuses excuses.

If JB as GM wanted Gilman, he would have kept him.

All we know is when the smoke cleared, Linden was out, Benning remained. You don't think Benning had a say it that?

Malhotra wasn't offered any kind of coaching promotion here, why wouldn't he leave? 

Brackett was forced out by adding a poison pill to negotiations by insisting he submit to the GM's demand that he decide who Bracketts staff would be. After firing two of them unilaterally a year earlier.  Something no other team would ever demand.  Especially with Judd's recent and astonishing success in the draft.

Obviously the most important part of an NHL team are the players. And these losses are not as impactful.  But these losses, without any replacements even, mirrors JBs success with keeping players who are also important to our success. 

This Canucks game all depends on the forecheck the Leafs throw out, I haven't watched any of their games so not sure what they'll do but they do often run-and-gun so I expect a fast-tempo game. Hopefully a sharper Demko comes to play because he's going to get peppered with shots tonight, but I think we'll score a fair few against this rubbish bottom-6 and bottom defensive pairings.

Probably going to be another fire-fight, 7-5 Canucks.