The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

From that article: (yes I sub to the athletic :ph34r:)

That matters because if Stanley Cup winners like Tampa Bay and Washington have taught us anything, it’s that it can sometimes take nearly a decade for a core to break through and win it all. It’s rare to go all-in for one, two or three years and win the Cup, you typically have to carve out a long runway for yourself as a sustainable contender.”

I think the argument is that you need to maximize a core’s chances... but, like, the fact it takes so long for a core to win kinda shows the ups and downs along the way.  At this point it’s pretty clear the “core” is a lot more Petey, Hughes and maybe Boeser... and guys like Miller and Horvat are going to be the veteran types when we’re in full compete mode if they’re still around.  

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

I think linden wanted a proper rebuild 

not signing vets/ vet free agents 

i may be wrong? 

I think that was the general thinking, but I sometimes question who was on which side.
During Linden's parting, Aquilini used the r-word, which we all know is very rarely used in this market. But he said, and I quote:
"A rebuild is a long, slow, gradual process. Everybody needs to be united behind the same vision and pulling in the same direction"
That doesn't sound like Linden was being pushed out because he wanted the slow, rebuild process. Sounds like the opposite.

Of course we're all just reading between the lines, but I wouldn't say with any certainty that Linden is the one who wanted the rebuild.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

i may be wrong? 

That’s the narrative but people I’ve found people want a to give Linden the benefit of the doubt as the “good guy” and cast JB as the villain.

Linden is the one who hired Jim and Willy and wanted to give the Sedins another run.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

This season is certainly worse than I expected but I’m curious how long people expect us to be in this position - like on a scale of “we can sort it out with a good home stand” to “this core will need to be torn down and will have no chance to win” where do we fit? 

Aligning with expiring contracts, I see us “contending” 2 seasons from now with a return to the playoffs next year.  I see this year as an aberration resulting from a perfect storm of mitigating circumstances and with even half-competent offseason moves we’ll bounce back next year.

Agree. Over-performed last year in the bubble, and are about where I expected this year. Slight improvement next year, and significant improvement 2 years from now

We need to get any of 
6 NHL calibre D or
12 NHL calibre F, or

5 NHL calibre D + 11 NHL calibre F

until we get one of those, we will flounder

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

i may be wrong? 

Pure supposition.   WTF is a proper rebuild anyway?   The Oilers?  The Leafs? (winning the lotto helps/not continually dropping 3 spots also helps)

I don't think letting a bunch of kids drown is a smart move.  At least we can all dwell on the 2016 LE contract for 2 more seasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

i may be wrong

*Ding, ding, ding*

6 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Ahhh that is the issue 

its the opposite only because “retooling” failed 

Linden was president, ie: JB's boss while retooling FYI.

5 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

You’ve missed the elephant in the room.......coaching.

I'm so confused as to which 'expert' to listen to. Some say it's the coaches, some say it's management and others say it's players we need to trade... Laughingly including Hughes.

Or perhaps there all wrong...?

7 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

From that article: (yes I sub to the athletic :ph34r:)

That matters because if Stanley Cup winners like Tampa Bay and Washington have taught us anything, it’s that it can sometimes take nearly a decade for a core to break through and win it all. It’s rare to go all-in for one, two or three years and win the Cup, you typically have to carve out a long runway for yourself as a sustainable contender.”

I think the argument is that you need to maximize a core’s chances... but, like, the fact it takes so long for a core to win kinda shows the ups and downs along the way.  At this point it’s pretty clear the “core” is a lot more Petey, Hughes and maybe Boeser... and guys like Miller and Horvat are going to be the veteran types when we’re in full compete mode if they’re still around.  

There’s also something to be said for maintaining a decent team that makes the playoffs more often than not and hoping for a good run, we tried having the best team and that failed miserably.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

*Ding, ding, ding*

Linden was president, ie: JB's boss while retooling FYI.

I'm so confused as to which 'expert' to listen to. Some say it's the coaches, some say it's management and others say it's players we need to trade... Laughingly including Hughes.

Or perhaps there all wrong...?

Linden was also fired 

while JB’s boss

Just now, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, I kind of meant that rolled into the offseason moves.  Overall team play / structure would change our perception of the team in a hurry.

I think we need to change coaching ASAP then spend the rest of this season figuring out where we stand, delaying it till the end of the year will just mean another wasted year next year.

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

I think we need to change coaching ASAP then spend the rest of this season figuring out where we stand, delaying it till the end of the year will just mean another wasted year next year.

I agree

by now most people outside of the “Green cult” can finally admit and see he is not a long term solution

make the move and let the new guy actually implement structure now and maybe as a bonus we go on a run 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

i may be wrong? 

This series of events was all pretty obvious, I think. Aquilini is driving the bus on this whole "avoid the rebuild" thing to preserve revenue via playoffs. If you get in the way of what he wants ... you're fired. Linden flipped, clearly he was on board with everything at the beginning and then his buddies in the PA get in his ear about how retooling on the fly was stupid. Gillis was also fired shortly after recommending a full-scale rebuild.

Benning and Weisbrod have taken a knee to the master throughout, so they get to stick around. Ironically, they were given basically an impossible task and will likely get fired regardless.

Edited by TheCustodian

Just now, TheCustodian said:

This series of events was all pretty obvious, I think. Aquilini is driving the bus on this whole "avoid the rebuild" thing to preserve revenue via playoffs. If you get in the way of what he wants ... you're fired.

Agree 

thus the whole Sutter, Beagle, Loui, Roussel mess 

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I agree

by now most people outside of the “Green cult” can finally admit and see he is not a long term solution

make the move and let the new guy actually implement structure now and maybe as a bonus we go on a run 

I predicted in the season prediction thread that if Green was gone by game 30 we’d win the cup.

• Sad 1